Regal princess questions

Sunchaser46

Going on Regal (first Princess cruise!) March 12 on a B2B cruise and have a few questions:

Staying on Emerald deck - what time will I be able to board? (Not an elite member)

Is the crowne grill restaurant as good as it sounds or will steak in the MDR suffice? How much $$ does this restaurant cost?

Any other specialty restaurants worth the extra fees? Which ones and how much is the cost?

Any other tips or advice for this first time Princess cruiser?

Thanks!

Boarding is based on priority. It usually starts at 11:30, barring any delays, and are based on priority groups. If you are not on a full suite and a first timer, you will be in the non-priority group to board.

Even if you have no priority boarding, you can arrive at the terminal as early as 10am for an early check-in, then wait to be boarded. This way, you will be among the first in the non-priority group to board.

Cover charge for Crown Grill is $29pp. We think it is worth the price and better than the MDR.

Edited by easyboy

Going on Regal (first Princess cruise!) March 12 on a B2B cruise and have a few questions:

Staying on Emerald deck - what time will I be able to board? (Not an elite member)

Is the crowne grill restaurant as good as it sounds or will steak in the MDR suffice? How much $$ does this restaurant cost?

Any other specialty restaurants worth the extra fees? Which ones and how much is the cost?

Thanks!

It doesn't matter what deck you are on. When you board is a combination of when you arrive at the terminal and check-in relative to the rest of the non-status passengers. Boarding time is also affected by the time it takes to clear the ship from the previous cruise. Sometimes there is extra inspections by authorities or new crew having to be processed, etc. That said, you can be on board a ship departing from Port Everglades often just before noon, or by noon.

Once the ship is ready to be boarded, Suites & Elites present at the time go first, followed by Platinums, and then the rest of the bunch in order of arrival/check-in approximately.

If you arrive early afternoon, you will most likely walk right in, check-in and be on board in a few minutes.

The Crown Grill is a very nice restaurant and we go at least once per voyage. It's a special treat the quality of meat cuts is definitely above the MDR and equates to a top steakhouse on land IMO. It used to be a $25 cover charge pp, but sometime last year was increased to $29 (it debuted at $20 I believe). The increase is a bit irksome as $25 was a nice price point and we often have had $50 OBC from TA for a 7-night cruise (INSIDE cabin), so it was like a free meal. We have more OBC from shareholder credit and FCD's, but just sayin'. Anyway, I will still go for $29. Everything else goes up too, including land-based eateries.

Just spend some time on the board here and you will find threads on SHARE. There are varying opinions - I have not been.

However, another premium dinner experience is the Winemakers Dinner, available on Regal (at least it was a year ago). I thought it was just as good as Chef's Table experience without the kitchen tour and gifts. You can read about these two experiences and judge for yourself. If interested in either one, you need to inquire and book early with the Dine Line. If selected, you will be notified later on.

Some couples enjoy having the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. You will find reports of that here by searching the threads. Most have reported loving it. We don't normally book balconies, and besides it doesn't appeal to me personally. For same price, I'd go to Crown Grill twice. But to each their own.

During your cruise, there will be a Crab Shack night in a section of the buffet on Lido deck. Again, do some research and you will even find menus for this and other options mentioned above.

As for tips or advice, I or anyone on this board could type on ad nauseum. There is a thread for items to bring, threads on travel and embarkation tips, etc, etc. I suggest you ask some specific questions to get something going as your question is really open ended.

Enjoy the cruise and welcome to Princess. We liked Regal a lot (12 days Nov 2015).

Edited by steelers36

Thanks!

I think that the steaks are better in the Crown Grill than in the MDR. Plus the Crown Grill is modeled after a true steakhouse. Although the cover charge covers the whole meal, you order the parts of your meal a la carté, like a nice high end steakhouse. So, you pick your choice of protein, and then your sides. Sides are generally very generous, so you typically order them "family style" and share them with the rest of your party. Although I feel that the Crown Grill does a very good job with steaks, the side dishes are suburb; I could make a meal out of the sides without the steak.

Specialty dining, Crown Grill and Sabatini's are not generally busy, but you may want to call the Dine Line in the morning prior to the night you want to dine in either of these locations to make a reservation. I've made the mistake of choosing a busy night (dumb luck) and had to accept a late reservation, which wasn't really to my liking.

Sounds like you'll have a lot of time on ship, so also take in Sabatini's, if Italian cuisine is also interesting to you. If I can only do one specialty restaurant on a voyage, I'll choose Sabatini's over Crown Grill just because I like Italian and I don't live in a place at home that has really good Italian dining options. That's kind of sad to admit, isn't it?:confused:

I'm not sure what other lines you've cruised with before. It is kind of difficult to compare Princess to others without knowing a basis of comparison, but I like to describe Princess this way. Princess is elegant, but not overstated or stuffy. Elegantly laid back may be a good way to describe it. Interior design is very light and bright. You'll see this in full display in the Piazza, but staterooms are also conservatively decorated. Lots of light wood tones, muted primary color pastels and a judicious use of beige.

Princess focuses most of their on-board experience toward, entertainment, food, and beverage. Unlike RCCL, there aren't ice rinks, water theater, rock climbing walls, or surf simulators. There are also almost no co-branding activities on board. Aside from the Curtis Stone joint venture for the Share restaurant and items on the MDR menu, Princess doesn't have an on board Starbucks or any restaurants with Guy Fieri's name on them. Starbucks and Guy Fieri aren't bad things, it just isn't Princess's style.

The International Cafe could be your 24 hour, early morning, late night, go to for a snack. The only way you can get a late night, or overnight snack is by calling up room service and ordering from the limited room service menu or by visiting the International Cafe where they have small bites, hot sandwiches and deserts. My wife and I have successfully avoided the buffet on all of our Princess voyages, many thanks to the IC and room service. This is a personal choice, not a conviction of the food at the Horizon Court. We aren't buffet people, we don't like the embarkation day cattle call at lunch up at the HC, and frankly, I don't like the idea of touching the handle of a publicly used serving spoon or tongs and then eating a meal. There is no amount of hand sanitizer that can help this. It's just an icky thought.

On embarkation day we either get our lunch at the IC or we are on board early enough to have embarkation day lunch at the open MDR. There is some scuttlebutt on the boards about embarkation day MDR lunch not being offered, but that appears to be on a ship by ship basis. As you board if you ask a crew member about lunch they will always point you to the buffet, but if you poke around the Piazza you'll most likely find an open dining room for lunch. If not, go ahead and fill yourself up on the food from the IC and avoid the crowds.

Speaking of IC, this is also the location on board to get your lattes and mochas. I recommend buying the coffee punch card once on board. It reduces the prices of specialty coffees and also gives you access to unlimited brewed coffee from the IC for that voyage. I mention this because coffee served in the dining rooms, HC, and room service is all from concentrate and some folks hate that coffee. I'm used to drinking truck stop coffee, so the coffee from concentrate is just fine... give it a splash of cream and it is better than tolerable. I'm probably the only one here that thinks that.

Princess has burgers and pizza on the Lido deck at the pool. I've always been impressed with their burgers, dogs and pizza. The Regal also has an Alfredo's, which is even better pizza than what you'll find up on the Lido.

Ok, so most of this post has been about food, but hey, Princess does a good job of that, even without Guy Fieri's assistance.:D

If your itinerary is 7 days western Caribbean, you'll have a blast. We really enjoyed our "beach day" at Princess Cays. We booked a Sanctuary Bungalow with the special Sanctuary Bungalow meal service and were overwhelmed with the quantity of food and how fresh and tasty it was. It was an experience I'll never forget.

Thanks!

Do the Crown Grill. Amazing experience for a special night!

I see jeromep made a brief mention of Alfredo's. I'd just like to add that Alfredo's has other offerings besides pizza and is a legitimate option for a sit-down, table service meal for lunch or dinner -- and it's included.

It's especially welcome on port days when you return to the ship and may be in the market for something to eat and find the dining room closed and the buffet crowded. It's a good choice embarkation day, too. Never crowded early in the cruise.

Jim

I was on the Regal in November. If you want to go to the Crown Grill make your reservations early in the cruise. They were booked solid and we finally took a time that was much later than we would have liked to eat. The steak was far superior to that in the main dining room. I could barely chew the steak in the MDR because it was so tough. I would recommend ordering Italian food if you go to Sabatini's as I was not impressed with the lobster three ways. Alfredo's was excellent and I would recommend the ravioli, as well as the pizza. The dining highlight of our cruise was the Winemaker's dinner and I would highly recommend it.

I was on the Regal in November. If you want to go to the Crown Grill make your reservations early in the cruise. They were booked solid and we finally took a time that was much later than we would have liked to eat. The steak was far superior to that in the main dining room. I could barely chew the steak in the MDR because it was so tough. I would recommend ordering Italian food if you go to Sabatini's as I was not impressed with the lobster three ways. Alfredo's was excellent and I would recommend the ravioli, as well as the pizza. The dining highlight of our cruise was the Winemaker's dinner and I would highly recommend it.

We have tried twice to do the Winemaker's Dinner- and not gotten it either time. We are on the Regal in June- that will make attempt #3.

We were on Regal Princess in November2016. Note: boarding day and muster station time are the only crowded place and busiest day. Be sure to go early to muster to get a seat. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by tripsahoy2

I was just on the Regal for Christmas. While I personally didn't do any specialty dining, my tablemates dined at the Crown Grill and returned the next night raving about the food -- they said everything was phenomenal. So, if I were you, I'd definitely go. Have a pre-dinner drink at the Wheelhouse bar right outside. If Richard is still tending bar, he makes a fantastic Chairman of the Board martini (if you like the classic martini, you have to try one; they're amazing!).

An excellent place to be for sailaway from ports is on the open porches midship on Promenade Deck. There were seldom more than a handful of people out there so no jostling at the rail. Because they kind of jut out, you have excellent views forward and aft and -- best of all -- you can still clearly hear the Love Boat horn!

Try the chicken salad at the IC; it was even better on this ship than I remember from the Crown. In fact, all the food shipwide was excellent. I hope come your cruise, you have the same executive chef we did.

Does anyone know who the matre d' is on the Regal. We're departing on her Jan 15th.

It doesn't matter -- you won't lay eyes on him. I never saw him in the dining room once for the entire 11 days. In fact, he didn't even hold the customary first-day office hours for those with dining issues.

Thanks!

After noon.

It doesn't matter -- you won't lay eyes on him. I never saw him in the dining room once for the entire 11 days. In fact, he didn't even hold the customary first-day office hours for those with dining issues.

We just got off the Regal today. The MD was available in the Symphony Dining Room @ 1pm embarkation day for dining inquiries. We saw him in the Allegro MDR several evenings. They have several chef's tables. He's a very nice guy, friendly & approachable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I was just on the Regal for Christmas. While I personally didn't do any specialty dining, my tablemates dined at the Crown Grill and returned the next night raving about the food -- they said everything was phenomenal. So, if I were you, I'd definitely go. Have a pre-dinner drink at the Wheelhouse bar right outside. If Richard is still tending bar, he makes a fantastic Chairman of the Board martini (if you like the classic martini, you have to try one; they're amazing!).

An excellent place to be for sailaway from ports is on the open porches midship on Promenade Deck. There were seldom more than a handful of people out there so no jostling at the rail. Because they kind of jut out, you have excellent views forward and aft and -- best of all -- you can still clearly hear the Love Boat horn!

Try the chicken salad at the IC; it was even better on this ship than I remember from the Crown. In fact, all the food shipwide was excellent. I hope come your cruise, you have the same executive chef we did.

Annie!

How was your cruise? Would you be willing to write a little review "Annie-style?"

I need some insider info- We will be on the Regal in June for a once-around the Baltic!

Nice to see you around here...

TL:)

Only suggestion on ordering a steak in the MDR or Crown Grill, is order one temperature less than you want. If you want medium rare, order rare. The reason being that waiting under those heat lamps warms up the meat. I've never gotten a steak that was "too rare" and every time I order medium rare I am disappointed with a medium to medium well steak. Sending it back is not an option for me because my table mates all got their food and it would just back up our meals