Cruising Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire--advice?

scrabble6

Highly recommend Woodwind Snorkel tour in Bonaire. If you have a late departure in Aruba have dinner at Barefoot, a $10 cab ride away for the 4 of us. In Curacao we did a 3 hour tour to see the island and were dropped at Mambo beach after. The tour was $20 each I think and cab back to the ship was $5 each. We loved the ABC islands!

Woodwind, yes, in Bonaire. Best snorkel day ever.

We snorkeled on Tranquilo in Aruba too. Also a great snorkel day.

In Curaçao we spent the day at Porto Marie beach. It’s a small beach that’s really visited by locals and it has a dive shack, great restaurant with bar and clean restrooms. Best beach day in years. Snorkel right off the beach too. Sand was powdery smooth, it’s in a protected cove and the water was warm and perfect (Nov 2017 trip).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by CA_Cruzing

we have done this 2 times and another deep Caribbean as well, and it is the only cruise I wish I had taken Binoculars on.

I agree with the poster that said port side is better but starboard is not bad.

Could you say why the port side is better? Is disembarkation always from this side?

Could you say why the port side is better? Is disembarkation always from this side?

We've cruised to these islands multiple times and have always docked port side in. It's possible that weather or other conditions might result in an occasional change, but never in our experience.

City/island views versus Caribbean water views.

We’ve enjoyed starboard. No difference to us. We enjoyed being in deck when leaving port at night, getting to see the islands lit up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can I ask another question on these islands? I am thinking of booking that cruise for 2020 while on board our Silhouette Jan 26 cruise. Are these 3 islands any safer than the usual islands? We were in Aruba once before but about 12 years ago.

Sorry to butt in ;p

Can I ask another question on these islands? I am thinking of booking that cruise for 2020 while on board our Silhouette Jan 26 cruise. Are these 3 islands any safer than the usual islands? We were in Aruba once before but about 12 years ago.

Sorry to butt in ;p

There are lots of articles listing the least and most dangerous islands. A couple of the articles mention Bonaire in the least dangerous category, and I've seen no listing of any of the ABCs in the most dangerous category. Much of the crime reported across all of the islands is at night, which in most cases isn't an issue for cruise passengers. Common sense and normal security precautions should prevent any untoward incidents. For example, don't go swimming and leave your valuables unattended on the beach. We've visited multiple times on cruises and have spent weeks on Bonaire on dive holidays and have experienced no problems.

Thanks. I will look up those websites about ABC. I thought all the islands basically required basic safety like just staying in main tourist areas during the day. However I read an article from cruise marine lawyer that talked about a tour excurison in St Lucia being stopped and being robbed at gun point. Every passenger lost their money and jewellery. This was back in 2014 I think. We are scheduled for tour in St Lucia this cruise. Not feeling too good about it now. Lawyer said 95% is crime free but unfortunately that leaves 5% with some kind of crime. Anyway I will look up those websites to get an idea if I want to book there. Maybe those islands are not as poor and therefore have lower crime rates.

........ However I read an article from cruise marine lawyer that talked about a tour excurison in St Lucia being stopped and being robbed at gun point. Every passenger lost their money and jewellery. This was back in 2014 I think. We are scheduled for tour in St Lucia this cruise. Not feeling too good about it now.

I would suggest taking an excursion with one of St. Lucia's highly recommended independent local tour operators, (such as Cosol, or Spencer Ambrose, or Herod Stanislas).

Being locals, they know the island well, which areas are generally safe and which places to avoid.

Although as we all know, there are no guarantees, and it is possible to get robbed right in your own home town.

When we get off the ship at Caribbean ports, we take very little money and no jewelry with us, except for cheap watches to keep track of the time.

We have taken many Caribbean cruises through the years and nobody at any Caribbean port has tired to rob us yet.

But even if they did, it would be no great loss for us and quite disappointing for the robber.

You may also recall that a bus load of passengers on a cruise ship excursion got robbed at gun point along the deserted road to the Brimstone Hill Fortress on St.Kitts.

I took the same excursion a couple of years after the robbery occurred, and there were uniformed, armed guards posted all along that road.

Tourism is very important to the economy of those islands

Hello all! Funny I was reading all this great advice thinking it seemed kinda familiar, then realized I am the OP from a year ago :o I did book this cruise port side for 2019 after the original posting. Thanks so much to all of you for the amazing suggestions! At the moment I’m in my hotel overlooking Fort Lauderdale Beach waiting to board the beautiful Silhouette tomorrow for 9 nights: Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts. Happy and safe cruising everyone!! At least one of you will be on board with us :champagne-toast:(y)

• 2 weeks later...
Unlike Barbados, where we also rent a car normally, in Curaçao they drive on the right side of the road. If you are from the US, you may find the roads narrower but generally in good condition. There are abundant roundabouts/traffic circles in built up areas, which may be new to you as a driver, but they shouldn't pose a problem. The traffic in Willemstad can be moderately heavy at times, but I've not experienced any congestion, and once out of the city it's quite light.

I generally look at Google maps and plot out where we are heading beforehand. I used to take a GPS unit with me for the drive, but now I just use my iPhone's mapping. Most rental agencies can provide GPS for an extra few dollars.

Give it a try, Kim, and you'll have no regrets!

Thanks for the recommendation....I reserved a car! Kim

Hello all! We're considering a future cruise to Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire. I'd love to hear from others who have cruised there--any must-do's, tips, advice. Would you recommend a port or a starboard cabin?

If you overnight in Aruba, there's a great restaurant called

"Chalet Suisse". It's located near Eagle beach. Really outstanding food. If you're not a "foodie" or into a meal like you'd get in Murano(only better)Then I'd skip my response.

Concur with previous comments about Woodwind sail and snorkel in Bonaire. It's a drift snorkel - you go with the current - you are divided into groups of 5-8 and do in the water with a crew member who not only ensures your safety, but also points out creatures of interest. They provide excellent equipment if you don't bring your own. We had a great time snorkeling with Aruba Bob in Aruba. They have little battery powered fans that you can use if you tire. Have a great time.