NYC to Port Liberty and more questions

framboesa

Hello!Asked this in other thread but maybe now I'm in the right thread :)

I keep reading this forum but I still need some additional clarification...thank you in advance!

We will sailing out of Port Liberty, Sunday, 3 pm, March 26th. We will arrive 5 days before to NYC and will stay near Penn Station/33rd st. We will return home at the end of the cruise (April 2nd) ; our flight will be at 8:20 p.m.

1- We pretend to use the public transportation on Sunday to Port Liberty so we are thinking about PATH 33 rd street to Hoboken and then we have two options:Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (to Bayonne) and then call a cab or get a cab from Hoboken

Our question is:we are afraid that regarding to language issues (spoken English) we will not be able to call a Cab when we arrive to Bayonne and give the correct directions.We were thinking about get a cab from Hoboken, but we don't know if there will be cabs outside the Station on a Sunday morning...What are your toughs?

2- We will carry with us 2 big bags and two small trolleys, all with wheels; we are in good shape and there are elevators in all the stations. Do you see any issues regarding to luggage?

3- Ship departs at 3 p.m., Sunday; Is 11 a.m., soon enough to leave from NYC by public transportation? Should we leave earlier? If we change our minds and use a driver like dial7, how soon should we leave NYC?

4 - Because we have a late flight after our cruise and will arrive to Bayonne around 6 a.m., we booked an hotel to drop our luggage during the day (there are no place to drop the luggage at Newark Airport) and we will go to Jersey Mall that only open at 11 a.m.. How long is the process of leaving the ship and ship area, being an European citizen? Is it similar to the process to enter USA by plain? Are there cabs outside the port or do we have to call a cab?

Thank you very much for your help!

Hello!Asked this in other thread but maybe now I'm in the right thread :)

I keep reading this forum but I still need some additional clarification...thank you in advance!

We will sailing out of Port Liberty, Sunday, 3 pm, March 26th. We will arrive 5 days before to NYC and will stay near Penn Station/33rd st. We will return home at the end of the cruise (April 2nd) ; our flight will be at 8:20 p.m.

1- We pretend to use the public transportation on Sunday to Port Liberty so we are thinking about PATH 33 rd street to Hoboken and then we have two options:Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (to Bayonne) and then call a cab or get a cab from Hoboken

Our question is:we are afraid that regarding to language issues (spoken English) we will not be able to call a Cab when we arrive to Bayonne and give the correct directions.We were thinking about get a cab from Hoboken, but we don't know if there will be cabs outside the Station on a Sunday morning...What are your toughs?

2- We will carry with us 2 big bags and two small trolleys, all with wheels; we are in good shape and there are elevators in all the stations. Do you see any issues regarding to luggage?

3- Ship departs at 3 p.m., Sunday; Is 11 a.m., soon enough to leave from NYC by public transportation? Should we leave earlier? If we change our minds and use a driver like dial7, how soon should we leave NYC?

4 - Because we have a late flight after our cruise and will arrive to Bayonne around 6 a.m., we booked an hotel to drop our luggage during the day (there are no place to drop the luggage at Newark Airport) and we will go to Jersey Mall that only open at 11 a.m.. How long is the process of leaving the ship and ship area, being an European citizen? Is it similar to the process to enter USA by plain? Are there cabs outside the port or do we have to call a cab?

Thank you very much for your help!

1). Will you have any kind of cell phone access at all in the USA? It sounds like you would have no problem getting from 33rd St Manhattan to Bayonne via PATH and the light rail. Here's a 7 year old thread which discusses this issue - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1106495

I have had your problem in France twice - no cell phone and the need to call someone to get the key to an apartment. It took some time, but I was able to get other people to help me and to make calls for me.

2). I don't see any issues with your luggage, particularly on a Sunday morning. I have done trips to Cape Liberty several times via PATH and the light rail with a 22" bag and a rolling backpack. I have always gotten seats on the various trains.

3). Typically the Anthem starts boarding relatively early. My personal preference would be to leave Manhattan around 9 am to have plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely trip. You might want to take a few minutes to look at Hoboken Station (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoboken_Terminal#History) and to enjoy the views of Manhattan from that location. Arriving at Cape Liberty between 10 and 10:30 is usually a good time from a traffic standpoint.

4). Can't tell you much about the non US citizen process for reentering at Cape Liberty. There is a taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty who will arrange transportation for you. What hotel did you book a day room at?

Back to suggestions for problem # 1.

1). Before you leave NYC ask someone from your hotel to call Bayonne Taxi for you to explain the language problem and the need to arrange a taxi pickup at a specific location at 34th St -

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

2). If you decide to take a cab from Hoboken and there are no cabs, take the light rail to Exchange Place and go into the Hyatt Hotel right there to call a cab.

3). Just go to Bayonne 34th St and ask people for help. Others may also be going to Cape Liberty. Cabs may be dropping off or picking up people and you can ask them. On a sail day there will be traffic into the port. I would write down what you need in English so you can show it to people or the cab driver - we can help you with that. The cab should be $10-12 and you should tip him. There are two pickup points at 34th St. - Avenue E and the parking lot. It will be necessary to understand where the cab will pick you up so you are waiting in the correct place.

Monitor this board for other responses. The local Bayonne folks may know if there is a public phone at 34th St. They may also have some suggestions about how to prearrange transportation. When I did this, I was told to call the cab company back when I actually arrived at 34th St.

A big part of the problem is that once you get to New Jersey, public transportation is virtually nonexistent. We have nothing even close to what you have in Europe - sorry not even close. ☹️

As I understand it, the walk from the light rail stop to the port terminal is about 2 miles, and though I haven't been there in awhile, as I recall the area is not pedestrian friendly. It's all about the car over here.

I understand that there is a shuttle service from Manhattan on days when there are ships at Cape Liberty. Check out this link http://www.transportazumah.com/MidtownCapeLiberty

It sounds to be the best option. They should operate a ferry from Manhattan to Port Liberty on the days when their are ships in port. I don't know why NY Waterways or the Water Taxi people haven't thought of it

Here is another site that has some options listed

http://www.walktomycruiseship.com/bayonne.htm

I also understand that this bus company runs a shuttle as well from the port authority bus terminal to Cape Liberty https://www.enttours.com/warning.aspx

But all and all I fear you will find our public transportation system sadly lacking. We live in New Jersey and cruise from Manhattan rather than Cape Liberty because it's easier for us to get there than it is to Bayonne [emoji856]

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1). Will you have any kind of cell phone access at all in the USA? It sounds like you would have no problem getting from 33rd St Manhattan to Bayonne via PATH and the light rail. Here's a 7 year old thread which discusses this issue - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1106495 Thank you for this link :) We have cell phone to call home so maybe we will try

I have had your problem in France twice - no cell phone and the need to call someone to get the key to an apartment. It took some time, but I was able to get other people to help me and to make calls for me.

3). Typically the Anthem starts boarding relatively early. My personal preference would be to leave Manhattan around 9 am to have plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely trip. You might want to take a few minutes to look at Hoboken Station (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoboken_Terminal#History) and to enjoy the views of Manhattan from that location. Arriving at Cape Liberty between 10 and 10:30 is usually a good time from a traffic standpoint. Thank you, we will do this. We never arrive early because we like to enjoy the departure port but this time we will do it

4). Can't tell you much about the non US citizen process for reentering at Cape Liberty. There is a taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty who will arrange transportation for you. What hotel did you book a day room at? We booked the extended stay elizabeth, next to the Jersey Mall, because we don't need a place to sleep, only to leave our luggage...I believe that the outlets are nothing special in USA, but for us "outsiders" it's a chance to buy things that are really expensive in Europe (even in European outlets), so we will do some shopping to "kill the time" and prepare us to the +12 hours flight

Back to suggestions for problem # 1.

1). Before you leave NYC ask someone from your hotel to call Bayonne Taxi for you to explain the language problem and the need to arrange a taxi pickup at a specific location at 34th St -

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

2). If you decide to take a cab from Hoboken and there are no cabs, take the light rail to Exchange Place and go into the Hyatt Hotel right there to call a cab.

3). Just go to Bayonne 34th St and ask people for help. Others may also be going to Cape Liberty. Cabs may be dropping off or picking up people and you can ask them. On a sail day there will be traffic into the port. I would write down what you need in English so you can show it to people or the cab driver - we can help you with that. The cab should be $10-12 and you should tip him. There are two pickup points at 34th St. - Avenue E and the parking lot. It will be necessary to understand where the cab will pick you up so you are waiting in the correct place.

Monitor this board for other responses. The local Bayonne folks may know if there is a public phone at 34th St. They may also have some suggestions about how to prearrange transportation. When I did this, I was told to call the cab company back when I actually arrived at 34th St.

Thank you very much...we have a cell phone that we expect to work in USA, we already have the cab company numbers just in case... but we will ask for help :) We speak and understand English, but we don't want to risk ;)

My 18 year old college student uses Uber a lot to make up for the gaps in public transportation to and from college (cars aren't allowed on campus for freshman), and his big sister and her friends use it for getting to and from Hoboken after a night at the bars. We found Uber worked great in Belfast, too!

As I understand it, the walk from the light rail stop to the port terminal is about 2 miles, and though I haven't been there in awhile, as I recall the area is not pedestrian friendly. It's all about the car over here. Walking the two mikes into the port is not allowed because it is a secure area. However, I have seen folks on the road rolling luggage

I understand that there is a shuttle service from Manhattan on days when there are ships at Cape Liberty. Check out this link http://www.transportazumah.com/MidtownCapeLiberty

this company is definitely not recommended. There have been many complaints about them over the years and serious questions about their insurance and licensing

Information on this site is outdated

I also understand that this bus company runs a shuttle as well from the port authority bus terminal to Cape Liberty https://www.enttours.com/warning.aspx

Entours/Academy bus is no longer providing cruise bus service under contract with Royal Caribbean

Please see my comments above

My 18 year old college student uses Uber a lot to make up for the gaps in public transportation to and from college (cars aren't allowed on campus for freshman), and his big sister and her friends use it for getting to and from Hoboken after a night at the bars. We found Uber worked great in Belfast, too!

Folks have reported a good experience calling Uber from the 34th St Bayonne Station to go into the port. You can actually see the ship from the station, but it's not easy to get there

On one of my public transit trips to Cape Liberty I actually had a friend who was using a car service from Newark Airport to CL come by the light rail station to pick me up. You will always be able to get to the port - it just may take longer.

Thank you very much...we have a cell phone that we expect to work in USA, we already have the cab company numbers just in case... but we will ask for help :) We speak and understand English, but we don't want to risk ;)

It sounds like a good plan. I never think of Extended Stay because we never recommend it, but it would certainly be fine for storing luggage and hanging out for the day. How much are you paying? We often have folks in your situation with an evening flight to Europe, so I think this hotel could be a great option. Could you post back about your experience?

There is nothing to enjoy at the Cape Liberty departure port. Going early so you get on Anthem early is the way to go. I'm sailing in March and plan to do the bumper cars first. First day lunch at Cafe 270 or Solarium Bistro if it's open.

I think you've done an excellent job researching your options. Please post back if you have more questions.

Edited by 138east

A big part of the problem is that once you get to New Jersey, public transportation is virtually nonexistent. We have nothing even close to what you have in Europe - sorry not even close. ☹️

As I understand it, the walk from the light rail stop to the port terminal is about 2 miles, and though I haven't been there in awhile, as I recall the area is not pedestrian friendly. It's all about the car over here.

It sounds to be the best option. They should operate a ferry from Manhattan to Port Liberty on the days when their are ships in port. I don't know why NY Waterways or the Water Taxi people haven't thought of it

But all and all I fear you will find our public transportation system sadly lacking. We live in New Jersey and cruise from Manhattan rather than Cape Liberty because it's easier for us to get there than it is to Bayonne [emoji856]

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for your inputs! From my researches the transportation that you indicate are not working anymore :( But thanks anyway ;) When you say that public transportation is virtually nonexistent, are you speaking about cabs, right?

It sounds like a good plan. I never think of Extended Stay because we never recommend it, but it would certainly be fine for storing luggage and hanging out for the day. How much are you paying? We often have folks in your situation with an evening flight to Europe, so I think this hotel could be a great option. Could you post back about your experience? Yes, it's only to leave luggage...we will pay US$112,49, but we can go directly from cruise port to hotel and then walk to jersey mall. They offer a free shuttle to the airport, but even if we can't use the shuttle for any reason, it's not too far from the airport.Of course I will report our experience :)

There is nothing to enjoy at the Cape Liberty departure port. Going early so you get on Anthem early is the way to go. I'm sailing in March and plan to do the bumper cars first. First day lunch at Cafe 270 or Solarium Bistro if it's open. Not in Port Liberty...but in NYC :D We will wake up early and go for a walk to say goodbye to the city...then: Anthem! Yeyyy!

I think you've done an excellent job researching your options. Please post back if you have more questions. Thank you so much for your compliment. :o We always have plans "B" and sometimes "C" when we go to a place that we don't know and try to figure/imagine the things with what we have to deal. I carry lots of maps and schemes with us :D My husband says that I should sell it after our trips :D

Once again thank you for all your help!

Edited by framboesa

Uber works perfectly here in Portugal, but here we can book a car to use later; I'm not sure if it's possible to book a car before we are in the place where the car will pick us. I mean, book an uber with 3 days in advance, for example.

Uber works perfectly here in Portugal, but here we can book a car to use later; I'm not sure if it's possible to book a car before we are in the place where the car will pick us. I mean, book an uber with 3 days in advance, for example.

No, not yet, at least. Definitely one of the pitfalls, when we use it to get to the airport, we are always getting there early because I get nervous about there not being a car available (we usually need xl).

Thank you for your inputs! From my researches the transportation that you indicate are not working anymore :( But thanks anyway ;) When you say that public transportation is virtually nonexistent, are you speaking about cabs, right?

I disagree with the statement that public transit is virtually nonexistent. Just look at some of the maps!

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf.

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/lirrmap.htm

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

The problem outside of New York City is often getting to the transportation. Non rush hours and on weekends the service can be limited. Public transit takes time and is often not convenient, so folks often feel it is not an option.

I think the places you need to go have excellent public transit service.

I would consider "cabs" to be livery service and New York has a lot of them. Yellow cabs are regulated by the city and are all over Manhattan. There are green cabs in the outer boroughs. Uber and Lyft are new options. Then there are the big car services like Dial7 and Carmel limo which do a lot of interstate rides as well as more local car services that primarily service neighborhood areas. Just look at the Manhattan street traffic to see the huge number of cabs.

I disagree with the statement that public transit is virtually nonexistent.

The problem outside of New York City is often getting to the transportation. Non rush hours and on weekends the service can be limited. Public transit takes time and is often not convenient, so folks often feel it is not an option.

I think the places you need to go have excellent public transit service.

I would consider "cabs" to be livery service and New York has a lot of them. Yellow cabs are regulated by the city and are all over Manhattan. There are green cabs in the outer boroughs. Uber and Lyft are new options. Then there are the big car services like Dial7 and Carmel limo which do a lot of interstate rides as well as more local car services that primarily service neighborhood areas. Just look at the Manhattan street traffic to see the huge number of cabs.

I was thinking the same thing regarding to NJ transit, underground, PATh...I was reading the new schedules and the maps and it seems to me that the easiest part is to go from 33rd St to Hoboken, there are lots of trains. When I asked about cabs I was speaking about the NJ taxis (in NYC there are millions of cabs!)...Don't you call it all cabs? (oops! :o ) I was thinking that when I read "public transit is virtually nonexistent" was about the taxis in Hoboken (my biggest concern) because from NYC to NJ there are several possibilities, so we can't call it nonexistent. If it works on time, of course.

I hope so :rolleyes:

Tonight I will discuss the options with my husband and also consider a car service...we eill spend more money but maybe we will have peace of mind....Several years ago we went from NYC to Port Liberty by yellow cab (we were with friends and they decide that way and we had no experience traveling) ...we spent more than 2 hours lost (the taxi driver had no idea where to go) and had to pay a small fortune :(

Edited by framboesa

No - I'm speaking of buses and trains. NYC is fine, but once you get into NJ all the public transportation is geared mostly for getting into NYC. Getting around NJ with public transportation is not easy. We were in Europe this past summer and I envy the public transportation all the countries seem to have.

We took a bus in Lucerne to get out to Mt Pilatus, and it was so easy. The electronic signs on the bus indicated where you were on the route and what the next stops were, and the time to the next stop. The signs at the station had the listing for which buses were scheduled to arrive and how long until they arrived. Nothing like that around NJ - NYC system is good, though.

Someone mentioned UBER - that's a possibility. If you have phones, it's an app. NJ transit also has an app, which might help. Most places you have to call for a cab, but you might find them waiting by the train station in Hoboken or at the Light Rail station. If it's a local cab (Hoboken), they might not want to go as far as Bayonne.

As I said in my previous post I don't know why some of the transit companies, don't have transportation from NYC to Cape Liberty. Most people who are not from this area, like to spend a bit of time in NYC before a cruise. Apparently, there were plans at one time, but they never came through.

You might want to look into the NY Waterways ferry though. Their red and blue buses (free) run all over NYC and you can check them with their app. You can take one from their Midtown terminal to Paulus Hook in Jersey City. There is a light rail stop there. It would be a nicer ride than the PATH train.

Again - good luck and enjoy your cruise!

In other words, virtually non-existent. :D Especially when you compare the public transportation in NJ with Europe or even NYC - and the OP is coming from Europe.

I've lived in NJ all my life - let's just say, over 60 years. I could take the train from my house (within walking distance) to NYC. But if I wanted to go to Ho-Ho-Kus (15 minutes by car) where I worked for a number of years. I couldn't because ALL the trains in the morning were running into NY. Same line but none of the trains were running in that direction in the morning except for the deadheads. Forget about going there by bus. It would take 3 or 4, take me miles out of the way, and take about an hour and a half to get to a town 12 miles away.

To get from my house when I lived in Bergenfield to the mall where I worked, I had to walk a mile to the main road in town, take a bus to another town, then take another to the mall. Again - the mall was 15-20 minutes from my house via car. Took over an hour to get their by bus.

I stand by my claim that public transportation in NJ unless you are going to NYC is virtually non-existant.

Taking the PATH to Hoboken is fine. But when you get to NJ, I recommend using the taxi and not light rail since it's a Sunday morning. There is a taxi stand outside of the Hoboken station. Don't worry about giving directions to the taxi. Just tell them the Bayonne Cruise Port, they should know. And it's always a good idea to have a few taxi phone numbers as a backup plan.

Do what you feel comfortable doing. You will save yourselves money by just getting yourselves to Hoboken. Quite frankly you can wait until you see Hoboken to decide on a cab or light rail. Weather could also end up being a factor in the decisions you make.

Personally I enjoy the street level ride to Bayonne on the light rail just to see the area, but I know that's not for everyone.

Hello again!

We will have to change ours plans :(

Due to a back problem ( I started running 2 months ago and I increased a problem that I didn't know I had) we will try to minimize the walking with luggage between/in public transportation. (Doctor's orders)

(yes after all research... :mad: )

Now the new plan (Plan D) is to book a car service.We sent an e-mail to independent driver and Carmel limo and we are waiting for answers.

Thank you for all the help, hope it can help others too!

Hello again!

We will have to change ours plans :(

Due to a back problem ( I started running 2 months ago and I increased a problem that I didn't know I had) we will try to minimize the walking with luggage between/in public transportation. (Doctor's orders)

(yes after all research... :mad: )

Now the new plan (Plan D) is to book a car service.We sent an e-mail to independent driver and Carmel limo and we are waiting for answers.

Thank you for all the help, hope it can help others too!

So sorry to hear of your back problems. Follow the doctor's orders and take the easy way to Cape Liberty.

You should use Carmel or Dial7 to go between NY and NJ. Independent Driver is better for just the Newark area.

Have a great cruise!

So sorry to hear of your back problems. Follow the doctor's orders and take the easy way to Cape Liberty.

You should use Carmel or Dial7 to go between NY and NJ. Independent Driver is better for just the Newark area.

Have a great cruise!

Thank You. We made a "fake reservation" to see the prices; the tolls are not included neither the tip so we will add this too. I'm worried about the bad reviews...but sometimes what is good for ones it's not good to others. If we wait for the driver and nothing happens we will go by taxi, of course...we can't miss the ship! :D

Don't worry about the reviews. There are numerous folks on this board who use these car services regularly. If course things can go wrong, but these services are large fleet operations which regularly service all the airports in the NY-NJ-CT area.

Don't worry about the reviews. There are numerous folks on this board who use these car services regularly. If course things can go wrong, but these services are large fleet operations which regularly service all the airports in the NY-NJ-CT area.

Thank You...I have other things to worry, don't want to be too worried about this.

I asked Carmel Limo this but had no answers from the company: if there is one "no show" from Carmel limo will we have our money back? What can we consider one "no show"? 15 minutes?20 minutes? We will not wait "forever".

Do you think that after 10 minutes waiting is it ok to ask to our hotel staff to call them? If it was here in Portugal, 98% of the people have communication plans to make free calls inside the country, is it the same in USA or can the hotel refuse to make this call?