Distilled Water available on Holland America?

Traveler27

Carnival has gallon bottles of distilled water available to buy that can be utilized for C-Pap machines. It can be ordered through room service and delivered to your cabin.

Does anyone know if Holland America offers the same service and what they charge for the distilled water?

Yes, Holland America has distilled water available, but at what I consider an outrageous price. Last I knew, they were charging something like $4 for a gallon :rolleyes:; it could even have gone up since then.

Since the tap water is so well filtered, I just use that, and am sure to clean my humidifier to get rid of the residue.

We've never paid a dime for distilled water on Carnival, NCL, or HAL. Each time the distilled water was for a CPAP machine. Always just asked the steward for this and an extension cord, and our requests were met immediately.

If HAL now charges for distilled water for a medical device, I'm taking a pool towel home with me to make up for the 4 dollar fee! :eek::D

I had ordered distilled water for my CPAP machine for my Koningsdam cruise. I was charged $2.90. I don't mind going one night on tap water, but I don't like going longer. I remember a respiratory therapist who came on once upon a time about all the organisms in tap water that we don't want to be breathing in.

Debbie

• Like 1

I brought my own gallon of distilled water onboard the Eurodam last week, had even opened it to use the night before at the hotel. No one blinked or said a word to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This sounds like the best idea. Purchase some before going to the port, attach a luggage tag to it, and you don't need to worry the rest of your cruise. If you are not staying the night before near a store, most taxis will make a quick stop for you on the way to the port.

For my cruise in August, I contacted ship services for the distilled water and extension cord.

The gallon water was in the cabin when we arrived and the steward brought the extension cord. This was a two week cruise and I only used half of it.

I did not know you could carry your own distilled water. Good to know!

I bring my own extension cord -- I just stick it in the case with the CPAP cord and have never had a problem.

Last time, I used tap water from the ship and had no problem at all. As I understand it, ship's water is distilled in the desalination process, then has some minerals added for taste.

Another cruise, I brought along a 20 oz bottle of tap water from home. At the airport I handed it to the TSA screener and told her it was distilled water. She had some magic machine that verified it, and there was no problem.

We have always gotten free distilled water on Princess but there has always been a charge for it on HAL. It's not much, maybe $4.00 for a big jug. We always call room service and they deliver it.

Funny thing on our recent TA on the Koningsdam. We called for the water and were told that they had run out of bottles of distilled water but could bring us it in a carafe? We said sure, no problem.

Well, about 20 minutes later there is a knock at the door and a steward is there with a large tray and on it there are 3 large glass carafes filled with distilled water, each with a little paper cap over it. We stored them in the bottom of the corner cabinet the Koningsdam has. Lasted us the full 16 days of the cruise.

When we embarked on Maasdam last June, there was a gallon of distilled water sitting there on our table waiting for us. Except we had not ordered it even though there was a receipt on it with our cabin number. We returned it I think to the cabin steward, and I told my mother to check her account for a charge. Sure enough, next day there was a charge on her account (I thought it was around $4), and she had a heck of a time getting the front desk or accounting or whoever to take it off of her tab. They insisted that we had ordered it.

We ordered a jug of distilled water on the Zuiderdam in Oct 2015, from ship's services, and it cost $4. It was 5 liters, plenty for a 26 day cruise. This year, on the Oosterdam, I called ship's services again to order my usual jug, and the same 5 liter bottle is now $2.95. This was a 21 day cruise, so I had plenty left over.

I always bring my own extension cord and European to US adapter. I use 220 volts for my CPAP, and my laptop charger is plugged into the 120 volt outlet at the desk.

We have always gotten free distilled water on Princess but there has always been a charge for it on HAL. It's not much, maybe $4.00 for a big jug. We always call room service and they deliver it.

Funny thing on our recent TA on the Koningsdam. We called for the water and were told that they had run out of bottles of distilled water but could bring us it in a carafe? We said sure, no problem.

Well, about 20 minutes later there is a knock at the door and a steward is there with a large tray and on it there are 3 large glass carafes filled with distilled water, each with a little paper cap over it. We stored them in the bottom of the corner cabinet the Koningsdam has. Lasted us the full 16 days of the cruise.

Where did that distilled water come from if it was not in bottles? Do they have a reservoir of it onboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The distilled water comes from the desalination process where they get all the ship's tap water. To bring you distilled water, as I understand it, somebody sticks the bottle under the faucet in the desalination machine before they add the minerals. Can anybody confirm this understanding? That's why I think it's okay to use the ship's tap water.

Edited by GE Mom
correction
  • Like 1

The distilled water comes from the desalination process where they get all the ship's tap water. To bring you distilled water, as I understand it, somebody sticks the bottle under the faucet in the desalination machine before they add the minerals. Can anybody confirm this understanding? That's why I think it's okay to use the ship's tap water.

The distilled water we have purchased on the ship, through ship's services, is in a sealed, labeled, 5 liter jug. It definitely does not come from the desalinization plant onboard. There is a brand name label on the jug, and you have to break the seal to open it. Most recent price, $2.95.

Posts from a practicing ship engineer not only do not confirm your understanding, but refute it.

According to cheng75, the ship is more likely than not bringing on water from a port where it has been purchased, as that is cheaper than desalinating sea water. Also, minerals are not added to desalinated water, contrary to what has been posted.

Since his information is always so complete, well explained to those not in the business, and consistent, I tend to give it credence.

Before Kdam 12/14 I ordered a gallon of distilled water over the phone from ships services in Seattle . I was told $4.95 , and it will be in your cabin . It wasn't . First night I called the front desk and asked for it , it showed up in the room later and there never was a charge on the account .

... whether the HAL price per gallon jug is $2.95, $4.95 or "something like $4", I find it difficult to imagine that anyone who needs it would do without or, worse yet, take a chance on using non-distilled water in a C-PAP machine. IMO anyone who is willing/able to pay several thousand dollars for the cruise should be able to afford distilled water ... even at the apparently outrageous price charged by HAL ...:rolleyes:

Smooth sailing ...

... whether the HAL price per gallon jug is $2.95, $4.95 or "something like $4", I find it difficult to imagine that anyone who needs it would do without or, worse yet, take a chance on using non-distilled water in a C-PAP machine. IMO anyone who is willing/able to pay several thousand dollars for the cruise should be able to afford distilled water ... even at the apparently outrageous price charged by HAL ...:rolleyes:

Smooth sailing ...

I continue to be awed at the invaluable information you invariably offer on every query in the spirit of friendship for other cruisers.

• Like 1

I continue to be awed at the invaluable information you invariably offer on every query in the spirit of friendship for other cruisers.

Thank you for your very kind words. I am only too happy to contribute whatever I can.

Smooth sailing ...

Edited by avian777

Carnival has gallon bottles of distilled water available to buy that can be utilized for C-Pap machines. It can be ordered through room service and delivered to your cabin.

Does anyone know if Holland America offers the same service and what they charge for the distilled water?

I do not know anything about C-Pap machines but if the machine is prescribed by your doctor and distilled water is needed to run the machine, shouldn't it be reimbursed by your medical insurance?

DON

I do not know anything about C-Pap machines but if the machine is prescribed by your doctor and distilled water is needed to run the machine, shouldn't it be reimbursed by your medical insurance?

DON

I use a CPAP machine and it does suggest distilled water be used in the reservoir. In a pinch, you can use any water you can find, but you should rinse the reservoir after each use. Also, water of questionable quality should not be used, because you breathe the vapors of that water while you sleep.

As far as reimbursement from health insurance, my distilled water at home costs me .99 cents a US gallon, which last about 2 weeks. On the ship, 5 liters costs $2.95 delivered to your cabin, and lasts 3 weeks. If I put a claim in with my medical insurance for .99 cents or $2.95, I think i would ridiculed out of existence. Also, in addition to your luggage, who wants to be schlepping a 7 pound jug of water around town until you board the ship ? If you can afford the thousands of $$$ to cruise, pay the $2.95 and stop complaining. HAL does the schlepping for you !!

Edited by TAD2005