Free Pub lunch gone

antsp

I was sceptical about how good F&C would be on a US ship. I was pleasantly surprised (I have even had good F&C on NCL!).

The BEST F&C in England is in Whitby, Yorkshire IMHO. There are some good chippies elsewhere as well (there is a decent one near Waterloo station, London - Masters)

Wow. Better than the fish and chips you ate in Manchester. Nice endorsement of the Pub. :)

We will be on the Coral with a friend who enjoys fried foods.

Is the pub free or upcharge?

What kind of fish fillets does the Pub use?

How many filets in an order?

What kind of oil is used?

Are the fish and chips crispy? Soggy, or greasy?

For PAX with big appetites, can one order more than a single platter of fish and chips?

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, with God willing, beyond.

Some of your questions have been answered. My comment about Manchester was that two tries did not get F&C that was that good by my American standards. I like the breading on the fish to be crispy and the same for my chips/fries. The Pub Lunch is free, don't know what kind of fish is used, will be 2-3 pieces of fish but you can ask for more, don't know what oil is used, at least one time there was a long line of people waiting and they rushed the fish and maybe had too low of an oil temp so that it breading was soggy and dripping with oil [emoji849] You can ask for more so I would suggest starting with just one order. Get another fresh order if you want more or just ask for more fish.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would miss the Pub lunch. I can't imagine that it costs Princess that much to serve this compared to the amount of food someone would consume in the buffet. We usually don't have booze with lunch but we always have a Guinness with our Pub lunch so I bet they pick up some extra booze revenue those lunches to help offset the cost.

We would miss the Pub lunch. I can't imagine that it costs Princess that much to serve this compared to the amount of food someone would consume in the buffet. We usually don't have booze with lunch but we always have a Guinness with our Pub lunch so I bet they pick up some extra booze revenue those lunches to help offset the cost.

This is the main attraction that keeps the pub lunch going. People wont order a beer at the buffet but hardly even pass up a drink at the pub lunch.

I usually bring my own as we enter.

This is the main attraction that keeps the pub lunch going. People wont order a beer at the buffet but hardly even pass up a drink at the pub lunch.

I usually bring my own as we enter.

OP

Day at sea today on the Ruby, no pub lunch or Salty dog, we have 2 sea days after tomorrow Saturday so will report back.

I agree on both points. And it's only on sea days.

Not one person has posted whether the steak and kidney pie is good. Are DH and I the only steak and kidney lovers?

And for great fish and chips, Conwy in Wales! You can take your lunch and sit on a bench facing the sea, eating your wonderful lunch and watching fishermen.

Pure bliss!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not one person has posted whether the steak and kidney pie is good. Are DH and I the only steak and kidney lovers?

And for great fish and chips, Conwy in Wales! You can take your lunch and sit on a bench facing the sea, eating your wonderful lunch and watching fishermen.

Pure bliss!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Now I like most pies. Eaten a few in my day, (how do you think I got the name Gut?), including Steak and Kid.

Have tried the Princess one a few times, not too bad, but far from the best I've ever had. The quality seems highly variable across ships too.

By all means try it but don't expect great.

The fish and chips was perhaps the best I've ever had at sea, but still nowhere near the best I've had on land either, but I did find its quality a bit more consistent across ships.

Should have said, the mushy peas looked and are like they had put them through a blender, not a pea to be found. Pretty much purée.

But the mushy peas are actually good. I think they're mixed with mashed potatoes. Try them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now I like most pies. Eaten a few in my day, (how do you think I got the name Gut?), including Steak and Kid.

Have tried the Princess one a few times, not too bad, but far from the best I've ever had. The quality seems highly variable across ships too.

By all means try it but don't expect great.

The fish and chips was perhaps the best I've ever had at sea, but still nowhere near the best I've had on land either, but I did find its quality a bit more consistent across ships.

One man's meat is another man's poison?

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, and if the Lord wills, beyond.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

But the mushy peas are actually good. I think they're mixed with mashed potatoes. Try them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've tried them, still ate them, just not impressed with them.

You may be right about mixing them with potato, but not how mushy peas should be.

Day at sea today Sunday. No pub lunch
I am sure you are correct, but it has been posted that on at least one of the ships (Crown, Emerald, and Ruby) with the Salty Dog that the Pub Lunch venue had changed to the Crown Grill. That is where the Pub Lunch is served on the Grand, Golden, Star and Caribbean. Have you asked you headwaiter why there is no Pub Lunch on your cruise? I'm not a big fan but many enjoy it.

I am sure you are correct, but it has been posted that on at least one of the ships (Crown, Emerald, and Ruby) with the Salty Dog that the Pub Lunch venue had changed to the Crown Grill. That is where the Pub Lunch is served on the Grand, Golden, Star and Caribbean. Have you asked you headwaiter why there is no Pub Lunch on your cruise? I'm not a big fan but many enjoy it.

On all of our cruises the Pub Lunch location (and time) has been posted in the Patter. Not always noticeable when you are not looking for it so possibly easy to miss. BTW, usually the menu is different from one lunch to the next except for the fish and chips selection (assuming that there is at least two Pub Lunches on the cruise). Hopefully it is still around on our next cruise, we enjoy it at least once when we are on board. :)

Edited by ar1950

Haven't read through all the replies, but I did get an email from a friend overnight that said this...

We got back from our 10 day trip on the Royal Princess on Monday... (that would have been January 9th)...Did the Pub lunch...

Not sure what happened on the following cruise that is currently underway as far as the Pub Lunch.

P.S. The Scotch Egg was always my favorite...

11527502243_cfaa501dca_c_d.jpg

11527490413_6bd7595be4_c_d.jpg

11527490893_a8a6766632_c_d.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

This is how rumors get started around here. One person does not see some menu items and then suddenly those items have been dropped from all ships forever. :rolleyes: They never offer all the choices at once. They spread them out over two days or more. Between what you report and what we see on a current thread, all of the choices have been accounted for.

I agree.

Last day, and it's a sea day, no free pub lunch, $12 salty dog is available from 11.30 until 2.00

Leave Tuesday, I guess I can say no more

Wow. Too bad. We will head to the Horizon Court or the MDR for lunch then.....unless those have also become extra charge venues. :eek:

So there is no Pub Lunch in Crown Grill as Brian suggested?

I think we just have to wait for a few more cruisers on Ruby

to report (possibly from upcoming cruises)

Otherwise, this is pretty much like the end of embarcation lunch report.

I think we just have to wait for a few more cruisers on Ruby

to report (possibly from upcoming cruises)

Otherwise, this is pretty much like the end of embarcation lunch report.

Thanks for believing me Pablo, I have take pics of the advert in the patter for salty dog daytime pub lunch, once I'm on shore with decent Internet I will post.