Late Afternoon Flight.....Any Suggestions

martyap

We disembark the Allure on Sunday, April 9th (Psalm Sunday) and our flight back to New York is not until 4:30 pm. Guess we could hang around the ship until around 9:30am but that would still get us to FLL 6 hours before our scheduled flight.

We could use RCCL's baggage valet program which I believe gets us our boarding passes and sends our luggage directly to Jet Blue. I believe RCCL charges $25 each for the service. Then we could taxi/uber someplace (???)

to waste 5-6 hours.....taxi/uber to FLL.

Or, we could get our baggage and rent a car from one of the Port Everglade car rentals ($65) and return the car to FLL around 2:00. Again, we would have to figure out what to do for the 5-6 hours but we would have a car.

Any advice would really be helpful.

Thanks

Karen

Thanks for the suggestions.

We ruled out the excursions. The water taxi was an option but we would still have to valet our bags with RCCL for $50 + water taxi for two at $50 + taxi to FLL. Too complicated.

I rented a car from Budget at the Quay, which I believe is a shopping center on 17th street.......not sure if they have a shuttle from the Port but an Uber can't be too much. Then we can drop off at Budget/FLL. Only a few hours but we can go where we want.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We ruled out the excursions. The water taxi was an option but we would still have to valet our bags with RCCL for $50 + water taxi for two at $50 + taxi to FLL. Too complicated.

I rented a car from Budget at the Quay, which I believe is a shopping center on 17th street.......not sure if they have a shuttle from the Port but an Uber can't be too much. Then we can drop off at Budget/FLL. Only a few hours but we can go where we want.

Yes, Budget has a port shuttle.

With a car...Las Olas Blvd., Downtown Ft Lauderdale...Lunch at Quarterdeck Dania Beach Pier...Lunch at Nick's, Margaritaville or any of the dozens of other restaurant on the Hollywood Broadwalk. There's Downtown Hollywood where you will find about every style of cuisine on the planet...Greek, French, Italian, Turkish, Moroccan, Argentine, Peruvian, Mexican, Thai, American English, Sushi, Kosher, an Irish Pub, Lola's desserts, a Scandinavian Bakery, Polish Beer Joint (PRL Euro Cafe which a friend of mine owns), tapas, coffee, pizza, burgers...And that is just the first couple of blocks.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Thanks.....we disembark on 4/9 and I believe the arts and crafts fair at Delray Beach is scheduled that weekend. If we hook up with the rental car on the early side we would head to Delray....if not Las Olas and one of the restaurants would be an option.

Thanks.....we disembark on 4/9 and I believe the arts and crafts fair at Delray Beach is scheduled that weekend. If we hook up with the rental car on the early side we would head to Delray....if not Las Olas and one of the restaurants would be an option.

32 miles to Delray Beach from Port Everglades, so figure an hour each way to be safe.

Nope, no tolls on I-95.

Thanks.......my only problem is that the rentals closest to the Port (Thrifty and Budget) are the cheapest but get horrible reviews. If I rent at FLL it would be almost double.

Thanks.......my only problem is that the rentals closest to the Port (Thrifty and Budget) are the cheapest but get horrible reviews. If I rent at FLL it would be almost double.

I wouldn't worry about it. Beat the rush off the ship and get there before the hordes do.

Thanks again.....I think what we decided to do is to take advantage of the RCCL valet luggage program. The car is only costing $35 but getting rid of our luggage the night before gives us more options.....(1)If disembarking is delayed we can just taxi to Las Olas and forget the car rental (2) If we get off the ship early and the lines at the car rental take a little longer we make it up on the back end of the day.

We have a 4:40 flight so if we return the car to FLL at around 3:00 we already have our boarding passes, luggage is checked......we just go through security and head to the gate. Seems worth the extra $50 not to spend the entire day in FLL and be luggage free whatever we plan to do.

Appreciate all the advice.

I'm a big fan of Delray Beach and Atlantic Avenue but quite frankly, you really don't have the time for that.

It's going to take you an hour each way best case and longer if there is an accident.

If we get the rental by 9am we should get to Delray by 10:00. Figure 2 hours walking around the fair and we would head back to FLL by 12:30-1:00. We really did not want to go to a brunch type restaurant or walk around Las Olas. It is Sunday, April 9th, Palm Sunday........just don't know what other options we would have.

If we get the rental by 9am we should get to Delray by 10:00. Figure 2 hours walking around the fair and we would head back to FLL by 12:30-1:00. We really did not want to go to a brunch type restaurant or walk around Las Olas. It is Sunday, April 9th, Palm Sunday........just don't know what other options we would have.

There is the The Taste of Las Olas Blvd, but that is $79 per person...Oh, wait that's on Saturday.

There's Sex Tips For Straight Women From A Gay Man...Nah, that's at 6:00 PM.

Well...There's BEERUNCH ever Sunday at World of Beer in Coconut Creek. They have $2 Mimosas from 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM or Bottomless Booze Brunch for $23.

https://worldofbeer.com/TavernMenus/CoconutCreek

Keep in mind one accident in the southbound lane of I95 and the police will shut all six lanes down. The shoulders are not wide enough for the emergency workers to safely work so they just shut down the interstate. You could miss your flight.

I just don't see your timeline happening getting to Delray and back with enough time during a peak week in peak season. Good luck tho!

Keep in mind one accident in the southbound lane of I95 and the police will shut all six lanes down. The shoulders are not wide enough for the emergency workers to safely work so they just shut down the interstate. You could miss your flight.

I just don't see your timeline happening getting to Delray and back with enough time during a peak week in peak season. Good luck tho!

Thanks.....I can see your logic. We can either use RCCL valet, get rid of the bags and taxi/uber to Las Olas......OR......we could keep the bags, pick up the rental and drive to Las Olas or another close location for brunch, shopping, (?).......any ideas