Ketchikan excursions

jdixiecup555

I can't see needing a tour to go to Creek Street. It's easy to find, not far from the pier, and you can spend some time wandering and shopping on your own.

I agree, can't imagine any "tour", simple to go on your own. The Ketchikan visitor center even has free walking tour maps.

I have a route I've written- on this board- somewhere, that other's have done with good reviews. free.

Lumberjack show or historical creek street tour? Any preferences?

I wouldn’t do the Lumberjack show, pretty cheesy. We go to the Forest service discovery center, it’s an interesting place. Then wonder over to Creek street, you can’t miss it. From Creek street you can walk up “Married man’s trail” to the top and look down on the fish ladder, if the time is right and the salmon are running you see the salmon coming up the ladder. If you walk up the road a little further you’ll come to the Totem pole museum.

I wouldn’t do the Lumberjack show, pretty cheesy. We go to the Forest service discovery center, it’s an interesting place. Then wonder over to Creek street, you can’t miss it. From Creek street you can walk up “Married man’s trail” to the top and look down on the fish ladder, if the time is right and the salmon are running you see the salmon coming up the ladder. If you walk up the road a little further you’ll come to the Totem pole museum.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_downtown.pdf

There is an excellent totem display out the back of the Fox Lodge, end of Married Man's trail. And museum mentioned is the Totem Heritage Museum. Walk through the city park and down Stedman for a loop walk- which I note above.

Wilderness Explorer & Crab Feast. We traveled by motor coach to George Inlet Lodge to board a small boat that went down the waterway where we saw bald eagles as our captain fed them bait fish. Eagles swooped down within feet of our boat. We made our way to the crab traps where we learned how they catch Dungeness crabs. Even go to hold one. Back at the lodge we had an all you can eat Dungeness crab feast. Been to Alaska twice & this is one of our favorite excursions.

• 2 weeks later...
Wilderness Explorer & Crab Feast. We traveled by motor coach to George Inlet Lodge to board a small boat that went down the waterway where we saw bald eagles as our captain fed them bait fish. Eagles swooped down within feet of our boat. We made our way to the crab traps where we learned how they catch Dungeness crabs. Even go to hold one. Back at the lodge we had an all you can eat Dungeness crab feast. Been to Alaska twice & this is one of our favorite excursions.

We want to do an all-you-can-eat crab feast when we are in Alaska. This sounds like just what we are looking for. DO you remember how long the tour portion was? How much time did you spend at the restaurant?

Excursion was 4 hours. We still had enough time to shop in Ketchikan. We payed about $150 per person. It was expensive but worth it. I am confident you will enjoy it. Go to TripAdvisor & look it up - it might be listed as George Inlet Lodge.

When we have cruised Alaska and had little toddler's (grandchildren) with us they loved the LumberJack Show...when no littles with us (just adult kids) we have done the Bering Sea Crab tour (wonderful)...other cruises when it's just been the two of us we DIY and sometimes just enjoy having lunch and a walk around town.

We want to do an all-you-can-eat crab feast when we are in Alaska. This sounds like just what we are looking for. DO you remember how long the tour portion was? How much time did you spend at the restaurant?

There is a similar Crab Feasting excursion that substitutes a float plane tour for the boat ride. The boat tour will have about 50 passengers whereas the float plane version will have 12 (6 passengers for each of two planes). The fewer number of passengers on the latter allows the crab refills to be more responsive - you can eat more without waiting. Both excursions limit the "all-you-can-eat" to just under one hour.

As a tip, don't fall for the free appetizers and eat too much of them. Save your appetite for the crab.

Before:

IMG_0515.jpg

After:

IMG_1616.jpg

More images that include both the boat and plane versions of the Crab Feast excursions:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan-2/ketchikan-crab-feasting/nggallery/page/3

Edited by Crew News

I can't see creek street needing a tour.

The Lumberjack show would be entertaining for children - I can't imagine going as an adult only group. (You are not supposed to video it, but I have seen snippets on youtube...)

No tour needed in Ketchikan. Creek street right there, many restaurants in town have all you can eat crab- about $55-/pp. So yummy. Just google it, also look up "secrets of Ketchikan" for more helpful hints. Safe sailing

Crab fishing occurs between October & January - so you are getting frozen crab on your AK cruises - since they are from April to September.

King crab fishing occurs as stated above and it is definitely frozen.

The fishing season for the Dungeness crab, served on the "all-you-can-eat" excursions during the cruise season, is from May through December in Southeast Alaska. It is usually harvested the same day or the previous day.

There is Dungeness crab served in every port but may not be the "all-you-can-eat" for a single price version.

For those seeking live crab and will be in Vancouver pre/post-cruise.... check out the premium Chinese restaurants.

Live King crab are kept in hotels for the summer cruise season for your service. They even come out to pose for pictures before visiting the kitchen....

http://www.followmefoodie.com/2014/04/dynasty-seafood-restaurant-alaskan-king-crab-dinner-vancouver/