Passionate KARAOKE singer needs info!

gsosings

There must be some of us who really enjoy singing while sailing! And I've noticed that KARAOKE seems to have grown in popularity on some lines (RCI), with multiple days of availability. This make me happy!;)

But there are some questions that I've not seen answered on these boards, and I'm hoping someone has the info:

(1) can the KJ adjust the key of the song selected? (2) can they play personally supplied CD-G's, mp3 files on disc or thumb drives, or smartphone files? Does anyone know for sure about these "innovations" being available on board?

I'm sailing the Allure of the Seas soon & would REALLY appreciate any and all info! Thanks & Happy Sailing to all!!:D

There must be some of us who really enjoy singing while sailing! And I've noticed that KARAOKE seems to have grown in popularity on some lines (RCI), with multiple days of availability. This make me happy!;)

But there are some questions that I've not seen answered on these boards, and I'm hoping someone has the info:

(1) can the KJ adjust the key of the song selected? (2) can they play personally supplied CD-G's, mp3 files on disc or thumb drives, or smartphone files? Does anyone know for sure about these "innovations" being available on board?

I'm sailing the Allure of the Seas soon & would REALLY appreciate any and all info! Thanks & Happy Sailing to all!!:D

I've never sung, (haven't consumed enough alcohol), but I don't believe you can come "armed" with your own music. I'm assuming each Ship has there own inventory of songs from which you can choose. Our last sailing in October on Oasis, music ranged from Adele, Bobby Darin (Mack the Knife), Elvis, Amy Winehouse, Ed Sheeran, ... And, if you get to the Finals, you can't sing the same songs that "got you there".

I would assume that the DJs won't play your songs, even if they could play your media, precisely because they don't know what it is. How would they know that you're not handing over some profanity-laced tirade or virus-laden file? (not saying you would, just that others could) In any case, they probably have some pre-approved RCL playlist that they have to stick to. The other issue is that it's karaoke- even if the music plays, the lyrics might not display correctly or vice-versa.

As for key changes, I haven't seen that done, but I don't do much karaoke. I'd just ask the DJ if it's an option.

I've watched karaoke and even sung a few times on multiple ships. It did not appear to me that any karaoke setup I saw would support playing your own music. I don't know about the ability to change key but I doubt that is possible either.

I do think they can adjust the key. On my last cruise someone asked them to do that.

Now ... I enjoy watching karaoke, ... but last cruise ... a good majority of the singers sang the most boring, sloooow, sometimes religious numbers ever. snooooze

Others mentioned the same thing.

I'd rather hear someone who doesn't sing very well do a lively tune than someone who sings perfectly, but puts me to sleep.

Come on people we're on a cruise. Have a little fun with it.

On every RCI cruise we've done that our adult son is with us...he does Karaoke....he has many of those "SuperStar" awards. Always a fun time...he puts on a good show (and works the room) but he's used to it...he's been in several (rock) bands and is a high school marching band music teacher. They have never been able to adjust the key for him (or anyone) but then again he's never needed to ask we've seen some that have :D

Edited by Ashland

I agree with others. I've only seen people select from a list of available songs. And I have never heard any discussion about key changes. I am not sure about this but don't public venues like this have to pay some sort of royalty fee for the copyrighted music that they use? That might preclude people supplying their own tunes.

We have found the song lists spotty. If you are flexible about what you like to sing, you'll find something. Bring a pen and pad of paper the first night and jot down everything you like from their book. Then you won't have to go through the book again each night.

If there is a specific song you want to know about, maybe ask on a roll call a few sailings before yours and see if someone can check for you.

You should try sailing on Anthem. They have Karaoke with a live band in the Music Hall. I think it was called Rockarookie.

Grandeur does one or two nights as well. While I've never done Karaoke I'd guess this is the best chance for a key change since you're singing with live musicians.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking questions that I dared not ask! (witness the smart-aleck answers)

And the info you posted from RCCL is very useful. You can see a list of CAVS songs on their site https://www.cavsusa.com/cdgdownload/index.htm (but the search by artist is broken)

You can even purchase some songs to practice. (MP3+CDG)

However I was not able to find any details on live band karaoke except passing references. I suspect they will have a much smaller list.

Thanks for asking questions that I dared not ask! (witness the smart-aleck answers)

And the info you posted from RCCL is very useful. You can see a list of CAVS songs on their site https://www.cavsusa.com/cdgdownload/index.htm (but the search by artist is broken)

You can even purchase some songs to practice. (MP3+CDG)

However I was not able to find any details on live band karaoke except passing references. I suspect they will have a much smaller list.

The live band karaoke songs depend on the band. Rock the Boat was great on Anthem for the karaoke, but they are now on Ovation.

Rock the Boat was great on Anthem for the karaoke, but they are now on Ovation.

Does that mean there is no live karaoke on Anthem now? or another band? I only saw "Karaoke Superstars" listed in a recent set of Compass from that ship.

Does that mean there is no live karaoke on Anthem now? or another band? I only saw "Karaoke Superstars" listed in a recent set of Compass from that ship.

Yes they had it on my December cruise with Katrina and Synergy. I only watch karaoke, but from talking to others, Synergy didn't have as good a choice of songs as Rock the Boat.

I'm going again in a couple of weeks, and I'll post back if they still have it.

I was kinda surprised no one else wanted the answers, but glad it helped some. Not bothered by the few who need to post negatively for any & all reasons.:rolleyes:

And the info you posted from RCCL is very useful. You can see a list of CAVS songs on their site https://www.cavsusa.com/cdgdownload/index.htm

GREAT link - thanks! Only wish I knew which packages were onboard Allure:confused:

If live band is available on the Allure, I'll just have to hope for the best

Yes they had it on my December cruise with Katrina and Synergy.

With this info I found Rock-a-rokie with Katrina and Synergy on day 6 under Live Music.

Looks like your cruise is coming up very soon; have a great one!

Hi there. We are karaoke fans too. Matter of fact, that's who DH and I met (on a karaoke website). Anyway...our experience is that the people running the karaoke show have no idea how to run the equipment other than selecting the song and adjusting volume. We have asked before to have the key changed, and they look at us like we have 3 heads. As for personal karaoke CD's, they are not able to do that. Everything they have (and it's pretty old and not updated stuff) is all in a system electronically.

So, in summary...they have a minimal selection of songs and don't expect any magic works with key changing. Leave your CD-G's at home.

So, in summary...they have a minimal selection of songs and don't expect any magic works with key changing. Leave your CD-G's at home.

Hi there.. glad to see another karaoke afficionado "on board":D

See my post #18 for some updated info for the Allure..

sailing 2/12/17

Hi fellow Karaoke lover! :p

Can't speak for RCI, i'll be interested to see if it's any different/better than on Celebrity (we're cruising with RCI in a few weeks), but FWIW, here's my take on the "Celebrity Idol" karaoke (on the Solstice-class ships):

1. The stage and lounge around it was pretty freaking awesome... it really did feel like I was on American Idol.

2. The judges for the karaoke contest were all cruise line employees, and they clearly picked the winner based on who they felt was more likely to cruise with them in the future (i.e. the 70-yr old man who could just barely hold a tune and the large group of retirees cheering him on) than those who were actually talented.

3. When our group (3 couples in their 30s) got up to sing a hilarious, rowsing, animated rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody, there was only a smattering of polite applause afterwards. The crowd was clearly more interested in hearing slow songs by Frank Sinatra or Patsy Cline sung by their peers who could barely hold a tune.

It is what it is, but it was unexpected, to say the least... LOL.. kinda hoping the crowd at RCI is a little less "starched collar" about the whole thing. But we shall see... not even sure if i'll be able to participate this time (we'd have to get babysitting if it's in the evening). :D

That wasn't my experience on Celebrity Summit. The qualifying rounds were in a bar area with haphazard seating. Went to watch the finals at the lounge, only one contestant was from the "My Way" set, all the others were young. The winner was in her 20s who was actually our table mate; she was with her parents.

I bribed my dd (who had just turned 18) to do Karaoke on Voyager as I'd paid for years of singing tuition, she had rarely performed in public and I knew she had a great voice.

I could tell people were skeptical before she started singing (she was shy, looking down etc) but once she started she had the crowd in her hands :) One youth was told to leave by the compere (and security) half way through the song because he wanted to get up on the stage with her. He waited outside after the show and apologised to her saying he loved her song/singing so much that he got carried away. She made it to the finals too.

Now, can I get her to do it again on our next cruise? :)

She did say that the song choices were very limited in her view - she chose to sing Yellow by Coldplay. Glad to hear Adele and Ed Sheeran are now on the lists.

TO ME, the best karaoke people are the ones that just get up and have fun. Whether they can sing or not. It is fun. Usually if there is a fun twist*.

TO ME, the worst karaoke people are the ones that view it as their chance to pretend they are on The Voice.

*Best karaoke I've ever seen was this black guy in his 20s. He looked like a basketball player in a Gilligan hat. Lean, muscular dude who was probably 6'6" or so. Gold chains. You make stereotypical assumptions. You assume he's going to bust out some hiphop song or maybe an old-school 80s/90s rap song.

Nope. He does "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow. Didn't need ONE SECOND of time staring at the monitor for prompting. Knew every word. Worked the room like a beast.

TO ME, the best karaoke people are the ones that just get up and have fun. Whether they can sing or not. It is fun. Usually if there is a fun twist*.

TO ME, the worst karaoke people are the ones that view it as their chance to pretend they are on The Voice.

*Best karaoke I've ever seen was this black guy in his 20s. He looked like a basketball player in a Gilligan hat. Lean, muscular dude who was probably 6'6" or so. Gold chains. You make stereotypical assumptions. You assume he's going to bust out some hiphop song or maybe an old-school 80s/90s rap song.

Nope. He does "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow. Didn't need ONE SECOND of time staring at the monitor for prompting. Knew every word. Worked the room like a beast.

I posted earlier about this. I'd rather someone be up there, who can't carry a tune, sing a lively/fun song, than the ones who have a nice voice, but sing for themselves. They chose the slowest, most boring songs, or religious tunes. Nothing wrong with that, but it has it's place.

We're on a cruise. Have some fun!