Breakaway or Carnival Sunshine?

suezducruz

We are a group of 5 families (18 ppl, mostly adults, + (3) 14 year olds and

(5) 18-20 year olds). We have booked the Carnival Sunshine for an 8 day out of New York. I just got off the Sunshine and was not overly satisfied with the ship, mostly the lido deck layout and the lack of available seating space. Also, the ship didn't handle bad weather very well, and I am concerned about cruising out of NY on that size ship. We only want to sail out of NY or NJ. I am considering switching to the Breakaway, but have never sailed NCL before so there are many unknowns!

In your opinion, would the Breakaway and NCL be a good fit for our group that likes to have fun, be somewhat rowdy, with kids that enjoy being active?

Is it a ship where we will be able to easily meet up with each other even if our cabins are separated?

If we choose the dining as one of our "extras", will it be hard to get reservations together?

WE have only sailed Carnival and RC so if you can also point out any big differences that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance! :)

I have sailed RC and Norwegian Getaway (similar to Breakaway). I will tell you this, we had some choppy seas in the Caribbean one night which made me nervous and we were mid-ship. My hubby was fine but I certainly could feel it that night. I would think NY would be more choppy but maybe it depends on weather? I would like to know this too since we are thinking of that same ship out of NY.

For the most part NCL was not "rowdy" though the poolside contests got quite crude. The first sea day folks were drinking a lot (drink package) then seemed to settle down after that. I was there with my 11 year old so we avoided those things. But your group may enjoy it.

I thought most of the food (except pizza) was pretty good, on par with RC. Hubby liked RC better but he was happy with the NCL Asian (Indian) station on the buffet.

We are a group of 5 families (18 ppl, mostly adults, + (3) 14 year olds and

(5) 18-20 year olds). We have booked the Carnival Sunshine for an 8 day out of New York. I just got off the Sunshine and was not overly satisfied with the ship, mostly the lido deck layout and the lack of available seating space. Also, the ship didn't handle bad weather very well, and I am concerned about cruising out of NY on that size ship. We only want to sail out of NY or NJ. I am considering switching to the Breakaway, but have never sailed NCL before so there are many unknowns!

In your opinion, would the Breakaway and NCL be a good fit for our group that likes to have fun, be somewhat rowdy, with kids that enjoy being active?

Is it a ship where we will be able to easily meet up with each other even if our cabins are separated?

If we choose the dining as one of our "extras", will it be hard to get reservations together?

WE have only sailed Carnival and RC so if you can also point out any big differences that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance! :)

Also-what can you tell me about the "free" beverage package? I know that gratuities have to be paid, but what is included, is there a maximum number of drinks, how strict are they? Someone posted that if one person on the package gets a drink you have to have both cards available? Also, if you have the package can you "buy for a friend"?

my only 2 cruises were BA out of NY in OCT and DEC. each trip had at least 1 or 2 bad days. winds 40 or 50 and waves 15 . i have no point of reference but i found it mildly fun and it wasnt really preventing me from doing something. was kind of like being drunk but not having the UBP.

point is every day could be rough or beautiful regardless of month and i didnt think even the worst weather hampered my enjoyment other than the upper decks closed.

Also-what can you tell me about the "free" beverage package? I know that gratuities have to be paid, but what is included, is there a maximum number of drinks, how strict are they? Someone posted that if one person on the package gets a drink you have to have both cards available? Also, if you have the package can you "buy for a friend"?

Unlimited number of drinks; up to $15 per drink. That will get you just about anything they have.

You cannot "buy" a drink for a friend unless you pay separately for it. Each person must have their own package. That said, once a bartender gets to know you, you may be able to get 2 drinks with one card.

The seas are definitely rough in the winter, we've only done winter sailings, on the smaller ships (Gem and Jewel), but will be on the Breakaway in less than 2 weeks. I bring Bonnie (anti nausea medicine), those wrist band things, and never have a problem with nausea. Definitely recommend those two :) I've heard of the behind the ear thingies but haven't used them myself.

My father in law wasn't prepared and had to go to the ship doctor for anti nausea medicine on his cruise, not sure how much he was charged or if it was gratis?

Two years ago we were in rough seas on the way down to Florida and there was a really large roll combined with fierce wind. The timing listed our ship to one side for what felt like forever. All the unsecured dishes/bottles broke. Someome I spoke to said her chair fell over in the stateroom lol

I felt like i was on one of those pirate ships they have at the carnival. We're going on the Breakaway in two weeks and hopefully we'll have no issues!

We've been on Sunshine twice and Getaway once (sister ship to Breakaway). I'd pick the Breakaway--more dining options (both free and for-fee, and the food is better overall), more onboard activities.

Get the 4 or 5-night dining package in advance. It's a steal at $22pp per night, vs $30-45 if you pay the individual surcharge onboard.

The seas are definitely rough in the winter, we've only done winter sailings, on the smaller ships (Gem and Jewel), but will be on the Breakaway in less than 2 weeks. I bring Bonnie (anti nausea medicine), those wrist band things, and never have a problem with nausea. Definitely recommend those two :) I've heard of the behind the ear thingies but haven't used them myself.

My father in law wasn't prepared and had to go to the ship doctor for anti nausea medicine on his cruise, not sure how much he was charged or if it was gratis?

Two years ago we were in rough seas on the way down to Florida and there was a really large roll combined with fierce wind. The timing listed our ship to one side for what felt like forever. All the unsecured dishes/bottles broke. Someome I spoke to said her chair fell over in the stateroom lol

I felt like i was on one of those pirate ships they have at the carnival. We're going on the Breakaway in two weeks and hopefully we'll have no issues!

OMG I would not do well with that! What I experience was nothing compared to what you are talking about. I think I'll stick with the summer NY sailings ☺

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Unlimited number of drinks; up to $15 per drink. That will get you just about anything they have.

You cannot "buy" a drink for a friend unless you pay separately for it. Each person must have their own package. That said, once a bartender gets to know you, you may be able to get 2 drinks with one card.

this package is way better than carnivals which is limited to 15 drinks I know you get coffees and waters and everything else but I do not like a drink limit and on NCL you do not pay for the package CC you do.

I think this is what gave NCL a big push in sales people came over from other lines when they offered the UBP for free folks get sick of that big bill at the end of the cruise.