Car rental at ports in Japan

lyna

Having lived in Japan and driven there are you sure you want to do that? Do you have an international drivers license for there? It is a totally different driving experience.

Edited by Potstech

I do not see any problems, Japanese drivers are a lot more polite than the average around the world. They drive on the left in right hand drive cars with manual gearbox cars probably the modern 5 or 6 ratios type with three pedals. Probably small easy to drive micro or compact cars. Most car hire places world wide hire out on a national licence backed up with a credit card to charge you for all the damage.

I have never hired a self-drive car there but taxis - yes. Very polite drivers, wear white gloves and a peaked hat. Offered me choice of mineral water or a cup of tea in his cab, sorted out passports to get through the police cordon around Narita. They are in a league of their own world-wide you will not find better.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

i did an 8 day japan cruise on the diamond princess last september.

separately i've also done 'land' trips in japan each lasting 2 weeks or so, during which i rented a car and used it as my primary mode of transport.

as far as i know, you must produce an international driving licence when renting a car in japan. the car rental companies will not recognize or accept your national driving licence. the japanese also drive on the left side of the road, so it will be an entirely different driving experience if you are from the US.

Even though i had driven around japan previously, it didn't even occur to me to rent a car for the port stops during the cruise. There are no car rental offices that i know of at the ports or passenger terminals. You would have to make your way into the city to find one, by which time you would already be in the city! where, presumably, most of the sights and attractions are.

on top of that, japan's public transport system is also very extensive and is one of the most, if not the most clean, efficient and modern around. it could probably take you to anywhere you could want to visit, especially when you only have that few hours available in each port. i would go so far as to say that a car is completely unnecessary in the cities. when i rented a car on my land trips, this was because i was driving vast distances around the islands of hokkaido and kyushu, visiting scenic areas in national parks which did not have frequent buses and trains, all the while lugging 2 weeks' worth of baggage with me.

considering all that, i wouldn't recommend renting a car at the ports unless there is somewhere specific you want to visit, your research tells you that this place cannot be accessed by public transport, and you have a long day in port. Otherwise, it is not worth the hassle IMO.

i would be happy to direct you to resources in English for getting around japan and obtaining train / bus timetables if necessary!