On allure. Interesting thing happenned day 1

shdixon

Interesting thing happenned. When we entered the ship, an employee advertising chops grill asked us if we wanted a hook up for the beverage paxkage. I told him no thanks but my husband wanted to hear him out. So we did. He took us up to deck 15 to speak in private. At this point im annoyed that my husband is wasting our time. So the guy says for $50 he can get us an ultimate package sticker. I ask him what happens when they swipe the card. Something I would not think to ask if not for the folks on this site. He hesitated and said " i have relatives that work all over the boat" I said thanks but no thanks.

My husband didnt get why I was blowing the guy off without hearing him out. First, as good as it sounds it was too good to be true and Id just rather pay for my drinks than worry the whole week about getting caught. Second. It is stealing and just because it was an employee offering doesnt make it right. Im not a goodie goodie I just follow rules. If I cant afford to pay for my drinks than I just shoudnt drink

I was annoyed and tempted to report him for trying to con me with something he knew wouldnt work but my husband told me its not worth getting him fired :-/

Dont get me wrong. I dont mind an occasional hook up but Id prefer it be a legit hookup and not from someone who has to take me to another part of the ship (still public) in order to discuss it. We saw him once more after that passing chops but just nodded and kept moving

Still a good trip. Just sharing as I was surprised

I don't think it would have worked out well at all for you all, you could have been thrown off the ship if it was security doing a sting, or what would happen when they scan your sea pass each time you buy a drink but there was no drink package on your account

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I saw a video online of a kid rigging him coca cola cup to get free drinks for his whole family. Not sure what made him think to do that but the staff in the WJ saw it and didnt say anything. I guess there are ways around everything but who needs go though all of that just to say you got over on a cruise line

I don't think it would have worked out well at all for you all, you could have been thrown off the ship if it was security doing a sting, or what would happen when they scan your sea pass each time you buy a drink but there was no drink package on your account

Very true

Why the trip to Deck 15? He could have made the pitch to you quietly wherever it was you ran into him. In any event, I would have reported him.

We just walked on the ship where they try to sell you anything. Someone was trying to sell us a beverage package and we said no thanks and thats when he approached us.

I thought he was joking at first. The reason he chose 15 is because I mentioned I was hungry and didnt really have time for the conversation. I think he would have done it anywhere he could do it privately

Also Maybe if we did give in he didnt want anyone seeing us give him money if its suppose to be a cashless system. Either way I dont like people trying to hustle me.

We just walked on the ship where they try to sell you anything. Someone was trying to sell us a beverage package and we said no thanks and thats when he approached us.

I thought he was joking at first. The reason he chose 15 is because I mentioned I was hungry and didnt really have time for the conversation. I think he would have done it anywhere he could do it privately

Also Maybe if we did give in he didnt want anyone seeing us give him money if its suppose to be a cashless system. Either way I dont like people trying to hustle me.

Ah, I understand now why Deck 15. If he approaches others so blatantly, he'll get caught sooner or later. Have a great cruise!

Maybe if we did give in he didnt want anyone seeing us give him money if its suppose to be a cashless system.

Have you seen all the tipping threads around here - nothing cashless about a cruise.:p

Biker, who wonders how many folks accept the offer presented to the OP.

Have you seen all the tipping threads around here - nothing cashless about a cruise.:p

Biker, who wonders how many folks accept the offer presented to the OP.

Yea Ive seen the post about the cash tips but this was the first 30 seconds of the cruise right near the entrance

Some people may take him up on his offer and perhaps if he worked on his pitch I would have been more tempted and given it some thought.

Some people may take him up on his offer and perhaps if he worked on his pitch I would have been more tempted and given it some thought.

For this to work, he must have access to the ships accounting system to add the package to someone's account. I can't imagine that lasting too long before being caught.

Or, he just collects the $50, hides the rest of the cruise and hopes the folks he took for $50 don't report him when their cards don't work.

Interesting thing happenned. When we entered the ship, an employee advertising chops grill asked us if we wanted a hook up for the beverage paxkage. I told him no thanks but my husband wanted to hear him out. So we did. He took us up to deck 15 to speak in private. At this point im annoyed that my husband is wasting our time. So the guy says for $50 he can get us an ultimate package sticker. I ask him what happens when they swipe the card. Something I would not think to ask if not for the folks on this site. He hesitated and said " i have relatives that work all over the boat" I said thanks but no thanks.

My husband didnt get why I was blowing the guy off without hearing him out. First, as good as it sounds it was too good to be true and Id just rather pay for my drinks than worry the whole week about getting caught. Second. It is stealing and just because it was an employee offering doesnt make it right. Im not a goodie goodie I just follow rules. If I cant afford to pay for my drinks than I just shoudnt drink

I was annoyed and tempted to report him for trying to con me with something he knew wouldnt work but my husband told me its not worth getting him fired :-/

Dont get me wrong. I dont mind an occasional hook up but Id prefer it be a legit hookup and not from someone who has to take me to another part of the ship (still public) in order to discuss it. We saw him once more after that passing chops but just nodded and kept moving

Still a good trip. Just sharing as I was surprised

Just admit this NEVER happend.

If it happened and I don't think someone would post this if it wasn't true that person has no right on the ship if he was dishonest. Trust is vital remember all your personal belongings are in your cabin you don't want to then wonder how many or which crew members are trustworthy.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

It sounds like he knew which bartenders would allow you to show the sticker rather than swipe the card and was going to send you to those bars specifically (his relatives).

I'm sure there are plenty of people that take him up on it, and it's only a matter of time before someone either reports him and he gets fired, or royal starts realizing that the Allure has a disproportionate number of heavy drinking passengers compared to other ships and starts requiring that they swipe every card. I think that's a requirement already, but I've heard lots of people say they just show their card and it doesn't get swiped.

Now that I hear this, I'm surprised it's the first time someone has reported this happening, I bet it's a HUGE under the table money maker for the people on the ship who have access to the stickers, and I'm sure there are lots of folks onboard who are outraged at the prices and take them up on the shady deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Why on earth would Royal set up a sting to catch passengers? I can think of a myriad of things the security staff could do to keep themselves occupied that would not alienate paying customers.

Now, setting up a sting to catch dishonest employees would be a different matter.

Last year our neighbor joined us on Anthem of the Seas. She told us she received "some type of beverage package" with her travel agent.

When I saw her card the sticker clearly indicated "Ultimate Package".

Unfortunately, she kept getting charged for alcoholic drinks. When she inquired at Guest Services they informed her that her beverage package was suppose to be for soda only! They checked her card, changed the sticker, and removed the charges for the prior day's drinks.

It seems time the crew were vetted better and paid a living wage and not have to rely on tips or cons.The saying 'pay peanuts you get monkeys' might or might not apply but I have noticed a decline in service and on this thread a potential con including several staff a and also previous threads of added on final accounts and non return of left items in cabins confirms what I am thinking.

It seems time the crew were vetted better and paid a living wage and not have to rely on tips or cons.The saying 'pay peanuts you get monkeys' might or might not apply but I have noticed a decline in service and on this thread a potential con including several staff a and also previous threads of added on final accounts and non return of left items in cabins confirms what I am thinking.

There are bankers and financial managers who make millions that still rip off their clients in cons. How much someone makes doesn't change greed if that's the type of person they are.

Living wage in which country? On our last cruise one of the MDR staff was from India. The median annual income in that country is about $700 (US) per YEAR! I would be willing to bet any amount you want that he was getting paid more than $14 a week.

One thing you can be sure of anytime you are on a ship...those positions are hard to get and the person probably signed that contract freely. Really doubt anyone was holding a gun to their head.

A criminal is a criminal is a criminal...regardless of the country, the company for whom they work or the level of their income.

Edited by TC1957