Children and Specialty Dining on the Silhouette

jcw

That's not correct I've dined in Qsine, Tuscan and Lawn club with my grand daughter when she was well under 12, only Murano was restricted to 12 & over but not anymore, they changed the policy to any restaurant in late 2015 and the charge is now a flat $10 for 6-12 year olds under 5's are free.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/15047719_CEL_Children_Specialty_Dining_Flyer.pdf

Edited by DebbieMacG

One thing to consider when bringing children to Specialty Restaurants is that meals tend to take 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours. There are not many children that can sit for that long a period of time.

The specialty restaurants are very good about pacing the meal to your requirements. They can go faster or slower. Much more so than the MDR.

Mike

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Oh I had no idea that this was the case and that things have changed! In 2014, we had to take turns baby-sitting our two year old while part of the group dined at Murano. It was a shame we couldn't eat together save for lunch (which we did again, this time as a complete group as we enjoyed Murano so much). To me, this is a good change and I'm grateful to this board for highlighting it! :)

Yes the rules changed and now children are allowed in the specialty restaurants - but I would kindly ask parents to consider their fellow diners and no I'm not a child hater.

We had a lovely dinner ruined by parents that had NO concern for the rest of the restaurant. Their toddler was so loud with the continuing throwing of a toy to the floor. CLANG, CLANG, CLANG. Mom and dad ignored the child save from repeatedly bending down to retrieve the toy to hand back to the child who then threw it back down CLANG.

We've seen children who cannot sit for that period of time, up and running around. Really rude behavior.

So while you can take your under 12 child into Murano - should you? Not if they can't stay seated and be reasonably quiet.

Edited by Jane2357

I was very surprised on my October sailing to be told that my seven year old son was welcome in Tuscan Grille, and would be complimentary. I had planned to put him in kids' club that evening but the staff said he could order what he liked off the menu- they didn't offer him a kids menu or anything.

My son is used to sitting for long meals so he was fine. He loved the crab cake and the antipasto platter. When they served limoncello, they brought him his own lemon soda, too.

That's not correct I've dined in Qsine, Tuscan and Lawn club with my grand daughter when she was well under 12, only Murano was restricted to 12 & over but not anymore, they changed the policy to any restaurant in late 2015 and the charge is now a flat $10 for 6-12 year olds under 5's are free.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/15047719_CEL_Children_Specialty_Dining_Flyer.pdf

Apologies - I missed that particular announcement! And, unsurprisingly, some of their websites have not been updated.

Yes the rules changed and now children are allowed in the specialty restaurants - but I would kindly ask parents to consider their fellow diners and no I'm not a child hater.

We had a lovely dinner ruined by parents that had NO concern for the rest of the restaurant. Their toddler was so loud with the continuing throwing of a toy to the floor. CLANG, CLANG, CLANG. Mom and dad ignored the child save from repeatedly bending down to retrieve the toy to hand back to the child who then threw it back down CLANG.

We've seen children who cannot sit for that period of time, up and running around. Really rude behavior.

So while you can take your under 12 child into Murano - should you? Not if they can't stay seated and be reasonably quiet.

I hope you asked for a refund. If enough people ask for refunds, maybe the rules will change back to , Adults only!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Silhouette yesterday, and enjoyed specialty dining 6 times (4 dinners and 2 lunches). All were lovely. However, 13 months ago we took a Christmas cruise on the Silhouette and ate 2 nights in Tuscan Grille. On the first night, there was a family with a small child, who just SCREECHED for no apparent reason, disrupting ALL of us. Now, here is the kicker; they had a nanny with them!!! We thought the parents should have had enough consideration for their fellow man to have her remove the child to the Suite (yes, we later found out they were suite passengers), and ordered room service. It seemed to us to be a case of "more money than brains". When we returned for our second dinner there, our waitress told us that that family and tried to book another dinner and been told they were full. LOL

Love to see well behaved children learning how to dine in a nice restaurant. We've enjoyed seeing them dressed up for the special occasion and actually stopped by the table to compliment the parents after finishing our meal.

On the other hand, people brought a baby to a specialty restaurant where we were dressed up for one of the "no longer formal" nights and of course the baby started crying 5 minutes later. I think the baby would've preferred to be sleeping quietly in the cabin at 8pm rather than having ceiling lights shining in it's face in the carriage.

During another cruise, someone put their baby on the floor of the Martini Bar during peak time and laughed while it crawled on the floor next to people drinking or walking through on their way to dinner. It was one of those "double take" moments for the adult passengers at the bar as you can imagine.

We've decided that if there are misbehaving babies, kids, or yes...ADULTS... and we've paid extra for a nice dining experience, we will simply ask for our money back. No need to give dirty looks or exchange words.

After all, the cruise line makes the rules for the market they want to attract and keep, and if they want kids and babies in expensive restaurants (or obnoxiously loud adults) at least we know what to expect and avoid them if we want to.

• Like 1