Cruising with cancer preparations

brikee

My husband was diagnosed with colon cancer stage IV back in July '16 at the age of 36. He had been having abdominal pain for months which took so long to diagnose. It's been a rollercoaster these past few months. We love cruising and booked a 14day cruise on the Breakaway Jan 29-Feb 12. We weren't really sure what his health condition would be like and had already purchased insurance so we can always cancel right before the cruise. We understand the risks involved being on a ship. My husband mainly wants to go so he can create memories with our sons (3 year old and a 1 year old) and spend time with the family. We would be travelling w/ my mother, father and brother in laws. We booked a 2bedroom haven suite (through upsell yay!) and a mini spa suite for our inlaws. Our inlaws have been really great with the kids so we wanted them to have a break.

He has been through 12 rounds of chemo and had his last treatment Dec 15. He also lost a lot of weight, in Jan '16 he was around 160-170lbs and now he is around 108lbs. Physically he is very weak but spiritually and mentally he is strong. His doctor said that if he wants to go on the cruise then he would be ok as long as we understand the risks. He was doing really well and his cancer was responding at first but now it sort of plateau'd. Also since he has gotten very weak we decided to do a chemo break for now so he can recuperate and gain weight again.

I really want to make this the best vacation for him. We were planning just to stay in the haven room most of the time, he can see the islands from his balcony. We have a wheelchair incase he needs to get around. On another thread, I read about renting a recliner which I thought is a good idea. We will get a neulasta shot to boost his white blood cell counts right before the trip. I'm planning to email the accessdesk about bringing on hydration bags (to get through his port) and ensure shakes to keep up his weight. He is also taking ip6 everyday. Our nurse was also wondering if she could speak w/ the ship doctor to help w/ any preparations. Our travel agent has also been great.

Normally before a cruise, I'll have all of our bags packed and excursions planned weeks in advance. Honestly, I wasn't sure if we might make the trip but now we are two weeks away and I have to start packing soon. He is really looking forward to this trip and we hope it isn't our last cruise as a family. I'm so thankful each day that he is still with us fighting.

I was wondering if anyone else had any other tips, it would be really great to hear. Thanks in advance.

We are cruising on the Dawn at the EOM....my hubby is stage IV prostate cancer...He's in much better shape than your DH but we still worry about the what ifs. Take care and I hope you have a great vacation and make wonderful memories!

Terri Lee

My husband was diagnosed with colon cancer stage IV back in July '16 at the age of 36. He had been having abdominal pain for months which took so long to diagnose. It's been a rollercoaster these past few months. We love cruising and booked a 14day cruise on the Breakaway Jan 29-Feb 12. We weren't really sure what his health condition would be like and had already purchased insurance so we can always cancel right before the cruise. We understand the risks involved being on a ship. My husband mainly wants to go so he can create memories with our sons (3 year old and a 1 year old) and spend time with the family. We would be travelling w/ my mother, father and brother in laws. We booked a 2bedroom haven suite (through upsell yay!) and a mini spa suite for our inlaws. Our inlaws have been really great with the kids so we wanted them to have a break.

He has been through 12 rounds of chemo and had his last treatment Dec 15. He also lost a lot of weight, in Jan '16 he was around 160-170lbs and now he is around 108lbs. Physically he is very weak but spiritually and mentally he is strong. His doctor said that if he wants to go on the cruise then he would be ok as long as we understand the risks. He was doing really well and his cancer was responding at first but now it sort of plateau'd. Also since he has gotten very weak we decided to do a chemo break for now so he can recuperate and gain weight again.

I really want to make this the best vacation for him. We were planning just to stay in the haven room most of the time, he can see the islands from his balcony. We have a wheelchair incase he needs to get around. On another thread, I read about renting a recliner which I thought is a good idea. We will get a neulasta shot to boost his white blood cell counts right before the trip. I'm planning to email the accessdesk about bringing on hydration bags (to get through his port) and ensure shakes to keep up his weight. He is also taking ip6 everyday. Our nurse was also wondering if she could speak w/ the ship doctor to help w/ any preparations. Our travel agent has also been great.

Normally before a cruise, I'll have all of our bags packed and excursions planned weeks in advance. Honestly, I wasn't sure if we might make the trip but now we are two weeks away and I have to start packing soon. He is really looking forward to this trip and we hope it isn't our last cruise as a family. I'm so thankful each day that he is still with us fighting.

I was wondering if anyone else had any other tips, it would be really great to hear. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about you husband. My best friend and his wife went on his first and last cruise in February 2015. He had colon and liver cancer for about 3 years. Their were 6 of us total. He was weak at times but overall everyone had a really good time. I was glad we got it in, he wanted to wait until the summer. The crew went above and beyond and times making him comfortable. He passed away later in March about 6 weeks after the cruise.

Best of luck to you and your husband

I am sure that this will work out and be a very special memory.

Just the fact of taking a break from all the stress will help all of you.

If there is any holiday that is more relaxing i cant think of one that would be better than a cruise.

Make sure that people who need to be aware are.

enjoy and build up your own reserves.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I too am a cancer patient and have discovered dandelion root tea. I've done a bit of research and found that the university of Windsor is even doing a study with promising results so far. I started drinking it in June and have seen my markers plummet and shrinkage of all tumors. One to the point that it is not measurable. I just wanted to pass it along as an option to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Best wishes for a very happy cruise for all of you, with lots of memories!

PLease also see the CC subforum on traveling with disabilities:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

And please CALL the Access Desk ASAP, given how soon your trip is.

It could take a bit of time to get special permissions for some of your supplies, given some new rules that took effect last summer.

I doubt anyone can speak with the ship's doctor, but if you bring along written comments, I'm sure you could stop by.

Or send them directly to the Access Desk.

We have had VERY good luck in getting some special arrangements made for medical reasons.

NCL onboard staff have always gone above and beyond to help.

This was all through Access Desk, and then meeting certain staff immediately after boarding.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your husband, and family.

Would your husband's doctors be able to contact the on-board medical staff? or once you are on board, could you and your husband speak to the on-board medical staff, and have them contact his doctor, for "just-in-case?"

I wish you, your husband, and family a lovely and memorable cruise.

As his last treatment was 12/15, his counts should be coming back so chance of infection will be lessening : but be vigilant. You may want to avoid the buffet to reduce chance of infection and of course, good hand washing. I'd also aviod hot tubs

Remember sunscreen as he will be more easily burned from the chemo.

He will be more fatigued so encourage daily rest periods.

Bring any possibly needed meds (especially those for GI upsets)

Remember there is health care available on ship if needed .

Relaxation will be the best therapy after what he has been through Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Sorry to know about your husband from colon cancer. My father is also having stage 2 colon cancer. He is going through radiation therapy along with the surgery. He has several health issues or can be said as radiation side effects due to colon cancer such as blood in stool, diarrhea, abdominal pain, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. Hope he recover soon.

• 4 months later...

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I am in a similar situation. I have stage 4 kidney cancer with mets to my liver as well as another tumor on the kidney bed where they removed the left kidney a year ago. My hubby and I have talked about a trip to Europe for many many years and so I decided we should just do it. I booked us on a Princess cruise this September. I could only afford an interior room but now I'm wondering if I should have went with a balcony room in case I spend most my time in my room. I am on an immunotherapy treatment as my body couldn't handle the chemo. I have very little energy but keeping pain under control is my biggest worry. We are going to rent an electric scooter for getting around on the ship, but I obviously want to do excursions as the purpose of the trip is to see Europe (London, Scotland, Ireland, Paris). I'm going to discuss all this with my oncologist at my next appointment. I so want to do this but I also don't want to have the trip be ruined for my hubby because he is too busy worrying about and taking care of me.

So sorry about your husband. I'm glad you are able to afford the Haven, which should help since everything is in one area.I sincerely hope that you, your husband, and family are able to enjoy the cruise to the fullest, so you all can have lasting memories.

My thoughts and prayers go out to your husband and your family.

I am assuming that your husband has Familial adenomatous polyposis that has progressed to adenocarcinoma. I've seen it before and it is devastating b/c it strikes people at such a young age. My concern for your husband is Norovirus, while onboard. Here is a website on what it is. You can plan on how to minimize chances of infection so that he doesn't get even sicker and lose more weight. Be careful about touching anything while on the ship. Touching the elevator button and then the wheel chair and then handing him a blanket can transmit it that easily.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/index.html

I wish you the best. :(