Experience with rough seas on East Med cruise?

djapj

I'm looking to get an overall feel of when the seas were the roughest on an Eastern Med cruise? I'm thinking of potentially a 10-14 day in October? What would the weather be like as well? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's really no way of predicting whether you'll experience any rough seas. I've been on several Med cruises in October. On two of them, the seas were smooth. On another two, there was some rainy, windy weather and rougher seas, though nothing too bad. The worst waves I ever noticed was around Rhodes in October -- we had to stop tendering to Lindos but were able to tie up alongside beside the old city in Rhodes, despite waves crashing over the pier all night long. The sea near Mykonos is also known for strong winds/waves at some times of the year.

When we think of the "Eastern Med" our thoughts go to Israel, Egypt and Turkey. But few ships are now going to Turkey and Egypt. So we are really curious as to the itinerary of the OP's cruise. If you are referring to some of the Greek Islands, then we think the early part of October is usually fine. But as you move through the middle of the month you might get into a situation where many things on the island are closing at the end of their traditional season. And rain becomes more likely as you get closer to November.

Hank

Weather is unpredictable at any time, but as previously stated once you get to mid October, this is when the weather starts to change in the Med. Could be hot and sunny or wet and windy. Who knows.

Our experience exactly.

Glorious weather at the start of the cruise at the beginning of October, changed to cold and wet two weeks later. Choppy seas too, but could hardly be called "rough"

October is the month when the weather changes. But exactly when in October ............................ :confused:

JB :)

As stated above you really can't predict the seas. It depends on the weather. For what it's worth during our 11 day Eastern Mediterranean cruise in July 2014, we had awesome weather and sees like glass for all of the cruise.

For our recent October 2016 transatlantic cruise in the Western Mediterranean the seas had a little more movement, but still relatively smooth sailing for us.

Tom.

Edited by Tommy3putts

Here is all you ever wanted to know (or not) about the Meltemi winds in the Aegean. We have been on one of the islands in early october and they blew for 3 days. No rain associated with the Meltemi, it is only a wind event. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about it.

http://www.sailingissues.com/meltemi.html

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wind/The-Meltemi.htm