Dropping bags off at port

sk8er72

Leaving on Pride of America very soon and will have a rent a car a few days before the cruise. Is it possible to drop bags off at pier 2 before returning the car to the airport then cab it back to the pier?

Let me know

Thank You

Aloha

Leaving on Pride of America very soon and will have a rent a car a few days before the cruise. Is it possible to drop bags off at pier 2 before returning the car to the airport then cab it back to the pier?

Let me know

Thank You

Aloha

If it is Enterprise RAC are they close enough to the port that they would drop you off after bringing the car back? Though if you rent at an airport they don't return you.

Rob G.

Let me know

Thank You

Aloha

We saw no porters at the pier when we went. We walked the bags inside the terminal ourselves- first time on any cruise we did this- went to a room on the right side of the terminal and fed the bags into a luggage scanner. I would take bags with you to airport and then you and your bags cab it back.

Leaving on Pride of America ... Is it possible to drop bags off at pier 2 before returning the car to the airport then cab it back to the pier?

Which car rental - check the Hawaii Destination forum to see the latest news/update. You might be able to drop the rental car closer to the pier near Waikiki at no charge, and they will shuttle you back to the terminal free - Hertz & Budget, among others.

Dollar/Enterprise from HNL Airport (just off A/P & Nimitz Fwy) has a comp'd shuttle to take you back to the pier, about 15 or 20 minutes depending on traffic (but - best to do that with minimal luggage as it's packed full). The pickup area is inside the gates - near the motor coaches/buses - ask if you aren't sure on where the rental shuttles are doing the pickup & drop-offs. Taxis are outside the gate & plentiful, including minivans.

Just outside the pier is paid city parking meters, bring some quarters to pay, park & go inside to drop the bags off, you can also finish checking in - get your key cards first, especially if you are there early (as is 10 or even 11 AM) - then, jump back to your rental car. Maybe go over to nearby Chinatown (a 5 minute drive, on-street parking or in garages, not that expensive) and do lunch, then - drop off the rental ... and, finally - shuttle back to the pier. Check the mandatory muster/life boat safety drill time - I recalled being 4:30 PM (or, makeup next day) and still plenty of time to do dinner. Checked luggage should be delivered outside @ the staterooms by then & select your viewing spot for sailway at 7 PM or just head for top decks to enjoy the cooler evening.

Mahalo :cool:

Let me know

Thank You

Aloha

It's been a few years since I was on the POA, but I doubt much has changed.

We arrived at the very small, relaxed port in our rental car and I told the man directing traffic and answering questions we wanted to drop off our luggage. He pointed toward a small parking lot with meters and said,

"Park over there, but don't bother putting any money in the meter because no one checks them."

Once we were there and since we were parked so close to the ship and because the POA's departure was late, we decided to check in and drop our stuff in the cabin as well. We did so and then headed back out to see a little more of Honolulu, dropped the rental car (non-airport location) and then rode their shuttle back to the port.

It was just that easy.