Carnival Docking at Grand Turk

asalligo

the port was not closed for maintenance, they did however have high winds and adverse conditions all week. Really stinks for the islanders who work on the island who rely on the money (which is who I contacted, he is a tour operator there).

The real deal pickle , been to GT a few times :D. We docked and the next ship tried several times and then some , didn't happen :rolleyes: . The same ship left the port and came back with a medical emergency ,docked the first time :eek:. No duff , no snuff . Both were Carnival ships

:eek: DUN DUN DUUUUN!!!

Edited by RanchoDeluxe

I really feel for the husband in this scenario. I can imagine his first day back at work.

Hey, how was the honeymoon?

Terrible. We didn't get to dock at GT.

Well, I'm sure you were busy doing other things, right?

Yeah. It takes a long time to get 650 signatures to complain.

OK, not what I meant but, that sounds nice....I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Hoosierpop

:eek:

I really feel for the husband in this scenario. I can imagine his first day back at work.

Hey, how was the honeymoon?

Terrible. We didn't get to dock at GT.

Well, I'm sure you were busy doing other things, right?

Yeah. It takes a long time to get 650 signatures to complain.

OK, not what I meant but, that sounds nice....I guess.

Actually we've been raving to everyone about what a great WEDDING we had. We only share the story of the cruise to the people who care about cruising :)

Must be wonderful to know more than the captain. :rolleyes:

There is nothing to get to the bottom of. The captain makes the decisions and does not owe an explanation. If things must go exactly according to plan then you should not travel. Period.

Edited by cruzeluver
more info

The real deal pickle , been to GT a few times :D. We docked and the next ship tried several times and then some , didn't happen :rolleyes: . The same ship left the port and came back with a medical emergency ,docked the first time :eek:. No duff , no snuff . Both were Carnival ships

I wonder if that was last Feb. We were on Splendor, and the exact scenario happened to us. Actually turned and started pulling away from GT - then the person's condition really deteriorated and they tried again and made it. I think it was Sunshine that was in port already!!

I wonder if that was last Feb. We were on Splendor, and the exact scenario happened to us. Actually turned and started pulling away from GT - then the person's condition really deteriorated and they tried again and made it. I think it was Sunshine that was in port already!!

You're correct ;)

I do feel bad for the folks on the ship who missed half the ports. No question that sucks. Our first cruise the seas were so rough that you could hear and feel the ship banging into the ocean and several of the upper decks were closed. We made all our ports, but dinners were lightly attended and most of the larger shows were cancelled due to fears for performer's safety.

It was our 15th anniversary, and we had a wonderful time. (Of course, like some, I kinda enjoy rough seas.)

Our cruise on the Glory? Hoo boy. Hurricane Dean had destroyed several ports we were supposed to go to and our entire itinerary was changed. We went places we hadn't really planned on (or were interested in), missed ports we really wanted to go to, ended up with fewer ports, and still had a great time. In addition, we had several very large church groups on our sailing. One of them got into a fight (literally, a fistfight between 2 large groups) in front of the dining room doors one evening as we were waiting for the room to open up for dinner. It was insane.

One of the people in our group (about 30 of us) had issues with the customer service that lasted throughout the cruise. They FINALLY after much complaining got everything fixed on the last day. And then the customer service team called him at 1am to make sure that everything was ok. I kid you not.

He got an apology letter, and nothing else. And that was fine. We dealt with it, we had fun.

Weather issues suck. But as noted - GT wasn't "closed", the calendar you are relying on is updated after the fact, so the ships that were scheduled but didn't dock are removed from the calendar. You're not likely to get 25% of your fares refunded. You're entitled to your port fees, which I'm sure were in fact refunded. Note - the people sailing out of Galveston that had their departure delayed due to fog? They got a pro-rata refund of their fares (so if it was a 7 day cruise and they didn't depart until a day late, they got a 1-day refund). That's reasonable.

25% of your fare returned because 2 ports had to be cancelled? That's really unreasonable. The captain can't control the weather. The decisions to make the docking attempt are made with passenger safety in mind. If the port was closed, they wouldn't have gone there to begin with - the idea that they "raced" there in order to lie to you and refund the port fees (instead of just refunding the port fees and cancelling the port) makes no sense, and if it makes no sense, it likely isn't true. What benefit is there to Carnival to 'race' to a port they know is closed? Can you explain what possible reason they would have to do so?

Congratulations on your wedding. There's nothing you can do to change what happened. No one was injured, and other people on your sailing say that the conditions weren't quite as dire as you make them out to be. I'm sure there were some bad places & rough spots, but trust me, they weren't trying to make you have a miserable vacation. That doesn't benefit them, does it?

Edited by Jobeth66

what I'm asking for is 25% BACK. I don't want their 25% off.

It is what it is, either take the 25% off or dont, it is a done deal, that is what they offered all of the cruisers (and very generously as nothing except a port charge refund should have been offered). Where are you getting the idea that you get to pick the refund amount or method? This is Carnivals deal, take it or leave it.

If the 25% is useless to you (and that is your prerogative) then contact Carnival and see if you can donate the 25% to someone else OR see if they will take the equivalent in dollars and donate it to St. Jude's on your behalf? Then all is well and you have turned a bad (your opinion) situation into something good. ;)

I think I missed something here. I'm not sure what the issue is. What difference does it make why? The port was missed for some reason. Ports are missed all the time. Make the best of it and move on.

From what I've been able to put together between the FB group and the closed threads, they believe that Carnival lied to them, that the port was closed and Carnival knew it, but rushed them there through rough seas anyway.

If Carnival hadn't done so, they could've found calmer waters and had some relatively uneventful sea days as opposed to heavy waves that apparently made some people ill.

I'm still not sure what the benefit to Carnival is if the situation is as they believe it to be. It doesn't profit the cruise line to have a lot of seasick people onboard, they don't tend to eat & drink and spend money.

Several others who were on the same cruise have said the situation wasn't nearly as horrible as the married couple that initiated the posts have made it out to be.

The truth as to how 'horrible' it was is probably somewhere in the middle, as that is a matter of subjective opinion and not objective fact - rough seas would have my husband down for the count, where I'd be up on deck enjoying the ride.

Someday people will understand that they are paying for a cruise...not for the ports (other than the port taxes which are refunded if the particular port is missed). In reality the ship and it's services are the final destination....it is a floating hotel not a form of "transport" to get someone from point A to point B. If someone was intent on "visiting" certain ports their choice shouldn't be a cruise with its limited time frame, it's dependency on weather conditions, and it's commitment to keeping people safe and out of harm's way.

:eek:

Actually we've been raving to everyone about what a great WEDDING we had. We only share the story of the cruise to the people who care about cruising :)

Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are just trying to warn people about this situation. A situation where you think Carnival intentionally went to a closed port instead of an alternative port that would have had nicer weather.

Even if that were true. Even if the captain was doing his best dastardly dance, knowing that he was screwing over his passengers, what's the point? Am I supposed to research captains to see if they have a tendency to be jerks?

I get it. You missed ports. It stinks. Happens to everyone who cruises a lot. But your going over dramatic with this is either trolling at a high level, or you have lost perspective. My guess is it's the latter. But if this was trolling, well done.

Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are just trying to warn people about this situation. A situation where you think Carnival intentionally went to a closed port instead of an alternative port that would have had nicer weather.

Even if that were true. Even if the captain was doing his best dastardly dance, knowing that he was screwing over his passengers, what's the point? Am I supposed to research captains to see if they have a tendency to be jerks?

I get it. You missed ports. It stinks. Happens to everyone who cruises a lot. But your going over dramatic with this is either trolling at a high level, or you have lost perspective. My guess is it's the latter. But if this was trolling, well done.

All Captain's have different levels of experience ,some can dock a tank in a Volkswagen parking spot . Ships as well as capabilities will handle differently according to weather and sea conditions.

Edited by BoDidly

I do feel bad for the folks on the ship who missed half the ports. No question that sucks. Our first cruise the seas were so rough that you could hear and feel the ship banging into the ocean and several of the upper decks were closed. We made all our ports, but dinners were lightly attended and most of the larger shows were cancelled due to fears for performer's safety.

It was our 15th anniversary, and we had a wonderful time. (Of course, like some, I kinda enjoy rough seas.)

Our cruise on the Glory? Hoo boy. Hurricane Dean had destroyed several ports we were supposed to go to and our entire itinerary was changed. We went places we hadn't really planned on (or were interested in), missed ports we really wanted to go to, ended up with fewer ports, and still had a great time. In addition, we had several very large church groups on our sailing. One of them got into a fight (literally, a fistfight between 2 large groups) in front of the dining room doors one evening as we were waiting for the room to open up for dinner. It was insane.

One of the people in our group (about 30 of us) had issues with the customer service that lasted throughout the cruise. They FINALLY after much complaining got everything fixed on the last day. And then the customer service team called him at 1am to make sure that everything was ok. I kid you not.

He got an apology letter, and nothing else. And that was fine. We dealt with it, we had fun.

Weather issues suck. But as noted - GT wasn't "closed", the calendar you are relying on is updated after the fact, so the ships that were scheduled but didn't dock are removed from the calendar. You're not likely to get 25% of your fares refunded. You're entitled to your port fees, which I'm sure were in fact refunded. Note - the people sailing out of Galveston that had their departure delayed due to fog? They got a pro-rata refund of their fares (so if it was a 7 day cruise and they didn't depart until a day late, they got a 1-day refund). That's reasonable.

25% of your fare returned because 2 ports had to be cancelled? That's really unreasonable. The captain can't control the weather. The decisions to make the docking attempt are made with passenger safety in mind. If the port was closed, they wouldn't have gone there to begin with - the idea that they "raced" there in order to lie to you and refund the port fees (instead of just refunding the port fees and cancelling the port) makes no sense, and if it makes no sense, it likely isn't true. What benefit is there to Carnival to 'race' to a port they know is closed? Can you explain what possible reason they would have to do so?

Congratulations on your wedding. There's nothing you can do to change what happened. No one was injured, and other people on your sailing say that the conditions weren't quite as dire as you make them out to be. I'm sure there were some bad places & rough spots, but trust me, they weren't trying to make you have a miserable vacation. That doesn't benefit them, does it?

3 of my family members were in fact injured, and I'm just relaying what the port authority said.. according to them the port was know to be closed hence the reason it looked deserted when we pulled up. If they're willing to give us 25% off why is 25% back unreasonable?

the group that are looking for more than what carnival offered are just silly...

EVEN if they are 100% completely right... (I don't believe it at all).. they still have absolutely NO CASE

ITINERARY CHANGE AFTER DEPARTURE:

In the event an itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival and/or the Master will attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival and/or the Master may, in their discretion and for any purpose, deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and omit or change any or all ports of calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any refund or other damages in such circumstances.

3 of my family members were in fact injured, and I'm just relaying what the port authority said.. according to them the port was know to be closed hence the reason it looked deserted when we pulled up. If they're willing to give us 25% off why is 25% back unreasonable?

Because if they give you 25% off, you will be more likely to rebook and spend more money