Just booked - a few q's...

landraceem

Hi. Just booked April 9, 2006 Virgin Islands trip out of San Juan. Will we be bombarded by a ship full of kids???

This cruise will either be our honeymoon or wedding (do they do weddings onboard???) and we don't want to spend it with alot of spring breakers.

Unfortunately, I did not give much consideration to this possibility prior to my booking...i think I was blinded by visions of the turqoise waters we will be sailing...

Any thoughts as to either question?

Too many kids?

Weddings onboard?

That is the week before Easter so there might be kids on board, but I would not call them spring breakers. They will be traveling with family groups and most of them will be fine. Of course you can go back and read the discussions about last year's SDI spring break cruise.

I will tell you that the children on that cruise bothered some passengers more than others, but I think a lot of it was concern for their safety. I think that the discussion will show that there were some adults who behaved far worse than any of the children.

I don't know about doing weddings on board, but contact SD and they can let you know.

I know that you will enjoy yourself immensely. We have been to all of your destinations on SD except St. John (we usually sail from St. Thomas) and have enjoyed them all. Be sure and take the hike in the forest on Nevis and the tour of Saba, and a car on St. Barths is well worth the effort.

Have fun!!!!!!!!

To Landraceem

Unlike ZQVol, I was extremely disturbed by last year's infusion of children on Sea Dream I for the cruise the week before Easter. It was almost enough to cause us to abandon Sea Dream forever and move to Seabourn (room service instead of formal nights made us give Sea Dream anothe try and I'm very glad I did.) I do not believe management's response to passenger affected by the cruise from he _ _ was adequate.

However, since then management has changed the pricing for the 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin which will hopefully both be enforced and be effective. I have also found that while for security reasons the management will not disclose specific ages of passengers on board, they will tell you the number of under 18 on board.

While having the teenagers occupy bar stools and the bartenders with frozen virgin drinks can be irritating, they were all well mannered and on good behavior - late for excursions last year but I blame that on lifestyle not age). It was the unattended 4 and 5 yr olds running around deck or being rambunctious on the dance floor during the activities director's speech or interfering with the waiters that drove me crazy. The only equivalent spring breakers on board was a married couple that definitely had strange ideas about appropriate behavior.

You will have the wonderful Christophe as the chief steward on board your trip. He and his staff will be able to give you the private dining experience should you choose (assuming the weather cooperates) :D

We're giving it another try again on the week before Easter on Sea Dream II so I look forward to comparing notes after the cruise.

Congratulations on your pending nuptials.

FT

I look forward to comparing notes as well about our April 9 cruise. Should be fabulous.

I also hope you will keep us updated if you call and find out about a large group of children being scheduled for our cruise. I would rather be malleable about dates than have a large group of kids on such a small ship.

We took a Thankgiving trip once and were deliberately misled as to the number of children on board. The Cruise Director lied to the passengers as a whole because he was so concerned that people would flip knowing over 25% of the passengers were under 18. Our concern was centered around safey and literally ice cream cones in the hot tub. The captain was confronted toward the end of the cruise and admitted the faux paus.

No, my Thanksgiving trip was on a much larger line...not on Sea Dream. It did not meet our expectations and, thankfully, led us to research Sea Dream and how we might best enjoy the sea with all the luxuries. I am hopeful that Sea Dream is exactly what we are looking for.

No, my Thanksgiving trip was on a much larger line...not on Sea Dream.

I had hoped and expected that to be the case but wanted to clarify. Thanks.

I am confident that those who do their homework so that they know what they are getting with SeaDream (outstanding food and service but no balconies or stage shows) will find SeaDream to meet or exceed their expectations.

Enjoy your April 9 cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

As of today, this cruise had booked (or at least that management knew of) 2 children between the ages of 6-12 and 8 between the ages of 14-18.

With the cancellation of the Sea Dream II cruise for the same week, the ship is close to full, so it is unlikely that too many more youngsters will be booked.

FT

Archived