Want to watch rugby or football while in Sydney

When I went to the US to do my grad studies in the 1980s, there were various linguistic misunderstandings.

I think it was Churchill who said that the Us and Uk were two countries separated by a common language.

Edit: George Bernard Shaw, not Churchill.

Edited by Docker123

When I went to the US to do my grad studies in the 1980s, there were various linguistic misunderstandings.

I think it was Churchill who said that the Us and Uk were two countries separated by a common language.

Yep and applies here too.

Had one American lady almost hysterical in Darwin when Mrs Gut asked me a question and I answered (totally reasonably in my opinion) "Buggered if I know".

Lady "Oh, oh everyone said I'd hear someone say it, but I didn't believe it"

Gut "Sorry if I offended you"

Lady "Oh no, just everyone said I'd here that and some other words starting with "b" and I didn't believe them".

So two two countries separated by a common language seems to fit.

Edit: George Bernard Shaw, not Churchill.

I love that quote!! Why don't you Aussies get with the program???

ML

PS: I am only kidding and trying to fight my ignorance of your customs with a direct attack. Get used to it--after tomorrow (maybe today for all of you?), it will be the new way.

One of the English guys almost got into a fight when he first arrived.

He asked another bloke if he could bum a fag.

Know a bloke from Pom land who went to Yankaria and said he was going to smoke a fag, which translated into kill a gay.

ML

PS: I am only kidding and trying to fight my ignorance of your customs with a direct attack. Get used to it--after tomorrow (maybe today for all of you?), it will be the new way.

Yep today here. (in that today is Friday 20 Jan) nearly over in fact.

And you'll quickly find most Aussies have a pretty good sense of humour.

Edited by GUT2407

Yep today here. (in that today is Friday 20 Jan) nearly over in fact.

And you'll quickly find most Aussies have a pretty good sense of humour.

I am hoping for that, as we will need a lot of patience from all of you as we travel your wonderful country. I am looking forward to it.

Wish the 20th was over for us...going to be a long 4 years....<sigh>

I am hoping for that, as we will need a lot of patience from all of you as we travel your wonderful country. I am looking forward to it.

Wish the 20th was over for us...going to be a long 4 years....<sigh>

As a rule we're also pretty happy to help visitors, unless you're the sort who come across as thinking the American way is the only way (and you don't).

Four years unless you reelect him.

ML

Important note on pronunciatio:

Aussie = Ozzie (never Ossis)

Melbourne = Melbnn, not Melborn

Brisbane = Brisbnn, not Brisbane. Brisvegas is acceptable

Canberra = no-one really cares how you say it.

Not sure how to explain this but

New carsel

Not

New castle.

Edited by GUT2407

I say Canbra, not Can berra

Now Sydney...... Not Sydeney haha!!

I live in Wauchope (warhope) not War chope

Edited by cheznandy

For OP, A League is soccer (football) I thought the season would be finished by then and but looks like you're in luck.

As a Central Coast lad I endorse seeing that match. My beloved Mariners are terrible right now too so plenty of goals

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a rule we're also pretty happy to help visitors, unless you're the sort who come across as thinking the American way is the only way (and you don't).

Four years unless you reelect him.

Gut

Bite your tongue!! Do NOT wish that on us. My hope is that the next presidential election will go better. He has already signed orders to eliminate reduced mortgage surcharges, repeal parts of our new healthcare, and repeal some new regs on clean air and water. What a mess. Pray for us!

ML

PS: How hard is it to move to Australia??:D

Now this is quite helpful, thanks.

And I thought Canberra was Canbra (as note in another post). Surely someone cares???

And New Carsel--who knew.

Thanks for all the tips--I am keeping them in a file.

ML

Now this is quite helpful, thanks.

And I thought Canberra was Canbra (as note in another post). Surely someone cares???

And New Carsel--who knew.

Thanks for all the tips--I am keeping them in a file.

ML

Only Peter Harvey (deceased)and also MicCanberra (Alive) but he still questions himself but is too "paranoid" to say so. :p

As for Newcastle people who live there we are called Novocastrians, or if you're married to Gut's missus Novo castrated... :eek:

Cheers r

:cool:

Only Peter Harvey (deceased)and also MicCanberra (Alive) but he still questions himself but is too "paranoid" to say so. :p

As for Newcastle people who live there we are called Novocastrians, or if you're married to Gut's missus Novo castrated... :eek:

Cheers r

Who's under the thumb???

Surely not me,

Who's under the thumb???

Surely not me,

It may be me, speaking of Can Bra my better half has roped me into spending the Australia Day holiday break visiting "The sumptuous exhibition Versailles: Treasures from the Palace is a once in a lifetime chance to see and experience here in Australia a mesmerising period in French history. For the first time ever, the treasures will travel from France to entice visitors into a world of power, passion and luxury through this epic exhibition on show in Canberra at the National Gallery of Australia from 9 December 2016 until 17 April 2017. ".

Good grief the things we do, mate... the Charity shield on the other hand can't come quick enough!

Cheers r

true story.

Back in the 80s a young girl was staying with friends in wagga (of all places) she was about 19. I was probably 26.

First thing i remember hearing her say...

"hi i'm randy, do you like sport, i root for the dallas cowboys".

I think it was the cowboys, by that time i think i was in real shock, so it may have been some college team.

:):):):d:):):):d lol

It may be me, speaking of Can Bra my better half has roped me into spending the Australia Day holiday break visiting "The sumptuous exhibition Versailles: Treasures from the Palace is a once in a lifetime chance to see and experience here in Australia a mesmerising period in French history. For the first time ever, the treasures will travel from France to entice visitors into a world of power, passion and luxury through this epic exhibition on show in Canberra at the National Gallery of Australia from 9 December 2016 until 17 April 2017. ".

Good grief the things we do, mate... the Charity shield on the other hand can't come quick enough!

Cheers r

Shield is only about 4 weeks. Doubt we'll get there this year, sailing out the next week, but trying to talk the girls into staying down when we get home to see the game (Tigers I think).

Daughter was so excited at Christmas she had renewed my membership (each Christmas saves her needing to find a present) and Cook and Reynolds were there so she got my cap signed.

Her no 1 prized possession is a T Shirt Spud signed at the Tomahawks game back in 99 or 2000 at Redfern.

Cheers r

Is that where novo virus comes from?

Shield is only about 4 weeks. Doubt we'll get there this year, sailing out the next week, but trying to talk the girls into staying down when we get home to see the game (Tigers I think).

Daughter was so excited at Christmas she had renewed my membership (each Christmas saves her needing to find a present) and Cook and Reynolds were there so she got my cap signed.

Her no 1 prized possession is a T Shirt Spud signed at the Tomahawks game back in 99 or 2000 at Redfern.

Very nice, you have raised her right, gut! They were dark times indeed but that's a nice souvenir regardless.

Love the Spud, was a good apprentice to come to us after one of my favourites "Bundy" Les Davidson left the club.

Keep the faith mate, the way we finished last year & the way they won their last 5 games including beating the Premier Sharks and were one point off beating the runners-up Storm as well in Melbourne thanks to Damien Cook giving Cam Smith a penalty :mad: in the last minute has given me a lot of confidence in their chances.

Souths had a very dismal year but also still had a better points difference than the 2 teams who finished 2 wins above them being WESTS TIGERS & the NZ WARRIORS and the also Illawarra Dragons who were only one win ahead at the finish.

Renno can't have another injury plagued year though. :(

Cheers r