Want to watch rugby or football while in Sydney

Very nice, you have raised her right, gut! They were dark times indeed but that's a nice souvenir regardless.

Love the Spud, was a good apprentice to come to us after one of my favourites "Bundy" Les Davidson left the club.

Keep the faith mate, the way we finished last year & the way they won their last 5 games including beating the Premier Sharks and were one point off beating the runners-up Storm as well in Melbourne thanks to Damien Cook giving Cam Smith a penalty :mad: in the last minute has given me a lot of confidence in their chances.

Souths had a very dismal year but also still had a better points difference than the 2 teams who finished 2 wins above them being WESTS TIGERS & the NZ WARRIORS and the also Illawarra Dragons who were only one win ahead at the finish.

Renno can't have another injury plagued year though. :(

Cheers r

:cool:

Watched two games in two years, one against the Tomohawks and one against Maitland, refused to watch any other NRL, fortunately had the mighty Scorps up here in Newie to watch.

Reynolds may well be the second best goal kicker I've ever seen but it's hard to compare with synthetic balls and kicking tees v leather balls and pile of sand.

Same as trying to work out how some of the players from years gone by would go in the modern game, though a few rabbits would have been superstars no matter when they played.

Yeah well, enough said. :rolleyes:

As opposed to what ? Dare I say that horrid slime green jersey-ed, broken down machine The Canberra Raiders with Victor the Viking? :rolleyes:

How does that relate down under and to Can Bra?

Vikings, from Old Norse víkingr, were Nordic seafarers, mainly speaking the Old Norse from way, way up North old son not land locked man made lake pollie-villers who speak with forked tongue. :D

Although seeing as they only ever played one Grand-Final (and lost) at the Grand old Girl the SCG. I am not surprised that a Canberra resident would be totally unaware that at least 53 Major Premierships have been decided at the Spiritual home of rugby League in Australia.

More than any other ground in Australia by far since 1908.

Yet you poor Johnny come latelies have only been in existence since 1981 so I guess you can't be expected to know the greatest game of all's history let alone rewrite it as politicians and public servants are prone to doing. :p

Cheers r

I truly wonder what ML is making of all this. :rolleyes:

Hopefully learning a lot.

At the very least that once a question has been answered threads on the Aus/NZ section can wander.

A bit like a real conversation.

Lol, we resemble that remark! :p

They do call the local team the Drug-castle Knights though. :rolleyes:

Well done Jarrod Mullen way to prolong the stereotype, knucklehead.

Cheers r

Yeah, well.... the less said the better about that situation.

Hi all

We are taking 2 cruises out of Sydney in March/April We will be staying in Sydney for Mar 10 to 13 pre-cruise, then Mar 25-27, then Apr 10 &11. I would love to add a rugby and football match to our visit. Will this be in season for any team? What level? Any recommendations on what teams to watch/where to see them?

I am not trying to incite a riot among all you fans, just need a recommendation on if I can do this and what to do. I do know that if I buy a ticket to a match, rail transport is included (or I think I know that). I will have an Opal card, and we are staying in the Sydney CBD, near central station.

Please help me find a match I can see live!! Oh, and if you can also tell me how to fit in with the fans at the match, that would be a big help. Otherwise, i will root for whichever team's fans I am sitting with :-)

Thanks for any help

ML

PS: I do know the pain of losing teams--my NY Giants just stunk the place up losing to the Packers (just an American football reference to spice things up)!

You should also bone up on the following thread to prepare you for your visit to the downunder:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2362723

Hi Mic (and everyone else)

I had to finally got to bed last night (at 1:30 am, here in western US), so I missed many of these comments. I had just about resolved to see the Swans on the 25th, then I read all the other posts. Now I am thinking this plan by Mic might be quite good--if I can pull it off. I love sports but my hubby and travelling companions may not be of the same mind. But...I will esquire at our hotel, and try and get tickets in advance.

I thank all of you for your input. As some have noted, I am a tad confused--why can't you just call rubgy, soccer, ARL, etc what they are--I don't get the Rugby Union etc other names. How do you keep up with it all???

I also have to add that no matter what we do, we will depend on the kindness of Australians (regardless of team loyalty) to help us get to and from whichever stadium we visit. I thank you in advance.

I am sooo excited about seeing any of these matches in Australia, I can't tel you.

Thanks for all your help. I will barrack for all your teams (I hope I got that sort of right).

ML

PS: As to US NFL, I agree with Mic--it's all in the rules. And if you have a lot of spare time to waste!!

PPS: Do you guys have Fantasy Rugby/ARF/Rugby Union/Soccer there? I play Fantasy NFL Football here and I love it!!!

I am sure you can arrange for something on your first visit, so that you are ready to go on your middle visit to Sydney. And yes, there fantasy leagues for all the various sports.

Gut

Bite your tongue!! Do NOT wish that on us. My hope is that the next presidential election will go better. He has already signed orders to eliminate reduced mortgage surcharges, repeal parts of our new healthcare, and repeal some new regs on clean air and water. What a mess. Pray for us!

ML

PS: How hard is it to move to Australia??:D

Basically you need to have the money or the skills or both, and then they will allow you to immigrate to Australia. Good luck.:D

As opposed to what ? Dare I say that horrid slime green jersey-ed, broken down machine The Canberra Raiders with Victor the Viking? :rolleyes:

How does that relate down under and to Can Bra?

Vikings, from Old Norse víkingr, were Nordic seafarers, mainly speaking the Old Norse from way, way up North old son not land locked man made lake pollie-villers who speak with forked tongue. :D

Although seeing as they only ever played one Grand-Final (and lost) at the Grand old Girl the SCG. I am not surprised that a Canberra resident would be totally unaware that at least 53 Major Premierships have been decided at the Spiritual home of rugby League in Australia.

More than any other ground in Australia by far since 1908.

Yet you poor Johnny come latelies have only been in existence since 1981 so I guess you can't be expected to know the greatest game of all's history let alone rewrite it as politicians and public servants are prone to doing. :p

Cheers r

Ok, OK, Are you finished yet or just taking a breath.:p

You are right of course, that famous SCG is so named because of all the league games played there. I suppose it really stands for the Sydney Corrupted Game.:eek:

Dear OP

No, I have no idea what they are talking about either.

You will discover that there are very strange people in the northern states.

D

I truly wonder what ML is making of all this. :rolleyes:

OK, I have to be honest and say, I lost my way a bit as I read the thread. Thankfully, i did get plenty of information on what matches to watch, so it's all good.

I do have to say, I love Ozzie sense of humour (did I do this right? :D). And, I am making of it:

Lots of sports to watch, if I can only figure out the leagues

I should beware of drop bears and venomous creatures (and I know what they are):D I think this is a ploy to keep tourists away

I can depend on all of you to help us when we get lost

If I have any skill at all (and I do, trust me. I was even invited to give a lecture in Perth once).

So, keep the thoughts coming--your teams or other hints, I love it. It's like sitting in a bar with a lot of NY Giants (US NFL) fans and solving all the team problems. And now I am regretting we could only be there for 32 days .

Thank you all

ML

Hopefully learning a lot.

At the very least that once a question has been answered threads on the Aus/NZ section can wander.

A bit like a real conversation.

Gut

I love this part--I ask a question and all of you take the full 360 view--perfect!

I do appreciate all the help, and the humour (just trying to fit in by using proper spelling):D

ML

Basically you need to have the money or the skills or both, and then they will allow you to immigrate to Australia. Good luck.:D

Yes, I have read that. So much pressure. Couldn't we just go with one or the other?:D It's so hard.

Seriously though, I won't leave just because it's tough but when we're there, if we are having fun...how hard is it to get your dog into the country (if you're not Johnny Depp)?

ML

Yes, I have read that. So much pressure. Couldn't we just go with one or the other?:D It's so hard.

Seriously though, I won't leave just because it's tough but when we're there, if we are having fun...how hard is it to get your dog into the country (if you're not Johnny Depp)?

ML

It used to be real hard, but it's getting easier.

This link will give you some information

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs

You should also bone up on the following thread to prepare you for your visit to the downunder:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2362723

I read thru this, it was quite good. I'm not sure why you want to discourage tourists, especially Americans, At this point. Haven't we shown we will buy anything, if it is packaged right??? Isn't that a good thing??:confused:

ML

ML

Animals must be quarantined for a while before being allowed in. They are very well looked after while in quarantine.:D

Animals must be quarantined for a while before being allowed in. They are very well looked after while in quarantine.:D

What?? Our dog is a complete coward and spoiled. Will they feed him as he is used to (someone holds a plastic bowl for him because he is afraid of metal)? Can i see him every day? How long--he has had a tough life and couldn't cope with being locked in a crate again.

Actually just kidding but still...

ML

Some real advice, which may save your life --

When crossing a road, always look RIGHT. We drive on the other side of the road.

Other advice, walk on the left, same on stairs, escalators, etc.

Footballs and leagues:

Australian Rules (Sydney Swans etc). AFL. The best and most important.

Rugby League. NRL. Stuff that gut yabbers on about.

Rugby Union (also refereed to just as rugby). Super league, an international competition. No idea about it.

Soccer/football. A-League

Edited by Docker123