1st cruise-Share tips!

ShipPrincess

What line are you going on. Cruising can really be fun. I have been on over 20 cruises. Already booked 2 in 2018. Did Russia last year on Viking. Plan a little but enjoy your days at sea. If you enjoy drinking you might consider a beverage card. Any more questions? I'll try and help. I have been on Holland, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Msc And Vikng River Cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Half the clothes & twice the money is a good tip.

More realistically, read the articles on cruise critic.

Some basics:

1. Know going in there will be lots of people. Pack your patience. Also know the cruise can change your itinerary at their sole discretion. They will do this for safety reasons. Don't pout if you don't get to go to the port you really wanted.

2. Bring & wear sunscreen. The reflective surfaces on the ship increase your chances of getting burned. Also pack 2 swimsuits so you always have a dry one.

3. Know there are a ton of people you will encounter with their hand out for a tip: the cabbie who takes you to the airport, the stevedores who take your luggage; the bartenders; the crew who take care of your cabin (their tip is the extra daily charge); every tour guide etc. Bring small bills.

4. It's better to fly in the day before to avoid any problems with airline delays. If you can't do that buy travel insurance and take the earliest direct flight that morning. In the US per DHS you must be fully check in and actually on board 2 hours prior to sailing.

5. Do not book a flight home earlier than 1 pm or 5 hours after you are scheduled to dock, whichever is later. (Yes, we realize the earlier flights are cheaper & so do the airlines)

6. Don't try to do everything. That's what your second cruise is for.

7. The fish on the carpet tend to swim forward.

8. Their are ship maps on the walls by every set of stairs & elevators. Use them. It's easy to get turned around.

9. Understand cruise cabins are very small but well designed. There are nooks & crannies for storage. Your luggage fits under the bed. You don't need over the door shoe organizers or half the other stuff you are told to take.

10. Do not be a chair hog.

11. Know what time your ship is scheduled to depart each port. Be back on board early. The ship WILL sail without you.

12. Get a passport if you don't already have one. (I realize you are sailing in 3 weeks; pay for expediting)

Enjoy!

Make sure to take advantage of all the activities on board, especially the evening shows if they have them. Be social when u can. We always meet really nice people on our cruises which for the most part are Royal Caribbean . Save space for stuff you might want to bring home. [emoji924]

Best tip - relax and enjoy your cruise.

You don't need to pack most of the things you see in the packing lists posted on CC. For the most part, just pack as you would for a land vacation.

Roz

I found many of the posts in the "What I wish I'd known ..." thread to be very helpful ... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1086757

I commented at length there on a few observations from my recent first cruise, but the parts that most relate to packing (based purely on my 'first' experience and preferences) are:

DO NOT OVER PACK! You do not need everything in your closet. Plan mix & match and possibly to re-wear items. I took 5 mix & match outfits of casual tops/tees and skorts/capris ... I didn't even wear half of them. (Similarly, my travel partner packed WAY too many pairs of jeans and pants ... in addition to his shorts and swim trunks.) I'll pack much lighter next time. I spent almost all day most days in my swimsuit and cover-up dress. Plan just a few pair of shoes that will coordinate with multiple outfits. I enjoyed having 3 dresses and being able to dress up a LITTLE for dinner several nights, but they were fairly casual and I wore one pair of neutral wedge heels all three nights. I chose not to bring a super formal dress, but one of my dresses definitely would have been okay, just not impressive, if we'd opted for formal night. I am happy that I took two swimsuits, and if i were young and hot and really loved showing off in a swimsuit - I'd probably have taken a bunch of different bikinis ... but as it were, two basic suits were fine for me.

On the non-clothing side of things ... I found some of the suggestions that I had seen in 'first time cruise videos' on other items to bring along to be a bit excessive. I'm glad I had some basic first aid items and OTC meds, even though we didn't need any of them except the Tums. But I personally don't think you need to try to pack something for EVERY possible situation imaginable. I didn't even bring a power cord. For us the TWO outlets were fine, we had two phones two phone chargers ... that was about it for really needing an outlet. When I needed to use the hair dryer or my flat iron, I unplugged one phone and used them. No biggie. (But someone else might find a power cord/extension more essential than we did.)

A small pair of scissors came in handy several times as did the wine bottle opener but other than that I can't really think of much other than personal care/grooming items that we needed at all. We had our reading glasses, books, Poo-Pouri for the bathroom (which I prefer over Febreze or other aerosol sprays), cotton swabs, sunblock, etc. but to me those are basics ... And, i did find the magnetic hooks suggestion to be worthwhile ... there's a ton of storage in the room, and 4 hooks on the bathroom door, but extra hooks for hanging bathrobes, swimsuits, etc. did come in handy!

I'll SLIGHTLY disagree with one of the comments in this post ... someone said something abut taking advantage of ALL of the entertainment/activities on the ship. (And this may just be a matter of 'wording' and not even true disagreement ... ) I'd say take advantage of all that YOU want to and that fits into your schedule ... but don't drive yourself nuts trying to make it to every little activity/presentation, etc. I feel that to some extent we wasted a lot of time the first day of our cruise scurrying from one activity to another ... they all sounded interesting and informative or fun, etc. ... but I soon realized that rushing from one end of the ship to another for 15 minutes of trivia ... or missing an hour on the deck to go to (basically) a 'sales pitch' wasn't for me. By the second full day, we'd figured out to some extent what was and wasn't worthwhile for us ... and took a much more relaxed approach.

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

Depending on where you are and how long you are ported. Be careful taking excursions outside of cruise line. We took a 7 hr in 8 hr timeline. Bus broke down. Made it back but not without some quick thinking a lot of luck. The Mayan ruins in Belize are great but it's hour on a bus and a hour in a river boat then a 30 minute tender back to ship. Bus broke down in the middle of no mans land. Would only do the ship excursion here.

Depending on where you are and how long you are ported. Be careful taking excursions outside of cruise line. We took a 7 hr in 8 hr timeline. Bus broke down. Made it back but not without some quick thinking a lot of luck. The Mayan ruins in Belize are great but it's hour on a bus and a hour in a river boat then a 30 minute tender back to ship. Bus broke down in the middle of no mans land. Would only do the ship excursion here.

Good tip before deciding on long shore excursions.

Edited by easyboy

I agree with only doing ship's excursions of the length of the excursion is 80% or more of the time you have in port. Without a margin for error, better safe then sorry. We had an independent tour bus get stuck in the mud but we weren't in the middle of nowhere; we could have hailed a taxi & we had 4 hours to get back to the ship. It was only about an hour's walk. [/font]

Get a guidebook on your ports...there's seldom a need to pay big bucks for excursions! Research is key to a fun DIY day!

Besides always recommending to get a guidebook you should also be recommending that they check the Ports of Call forums for their ports. Why buy a guidebook, with often outdated in, when one can get current info online free.

I have booked my first cruise and go in three weeks. What do I need to know.. I mean about everything.

It would help to know your cruiseline/ship and destination.

My biggest recommendation is know that not everything will be perfect. Overlook the imperfections and things that don't go smoothly.

Onboard Read the ships newsletter so you know what's going on. Join some activities --or not.

Before your cruise Read your Roll Call in the Roll Call forum. You can get good info there.

Before your cruise Go to the Ports of Call forums for your ports so you have some idea of what you might do or not do in each port.

Edited by NMLady

Take Half the clothes you had planned and twice the money.

I wish people would come up with something other than this same old saying. It's over-used, and doesn't really give a first-timer much helpful information. I'm willing to bet EVERYONE over-packs on their first cruise, and probably their second and third cruises too. And what exactly does "twice the money" mean? If you've never been on a cruise, how would you know how much money you'd need? What if someone originally plans to bring $200.00? Twice that would be $400.00. For some, that might enough, for others it might be too much or too little.

To ShipPrincess, try to keep your packing to a minimum. You won't need two or three different outfits per day. As long as your clothes are still clean, you can wear the same shirt and/or shorts more than once, and no one will care. Also, you can mix & match different tops with different shorts or pants. Check with your cruise line's dress code for the dining room so you'll know what to bring to wear to dinner. For your on board purchases, you'll need a credit card (NOT an ATM card) or cash to set up your on board account. For purchases ashore, set a spending limit for yourself, just as you would for a land based vacation.

I have booked my first cruise and go in three weeks. What do I need to know.. I mean about everything.
ok, got some tips and adding a bit of other information..it is a five day cruise 2 port calls in cozumel and yucatan. we have a cabin midship ocean view (not exactly sure where that is, but by the ship plan-close to elevator and stairs) driving in the day before and spending the night at port hotel close by..it is my husband and I.. our anniversary is Valentines Day -39 years (five children and 9 grands later-One born last week) so we are not rich (worked hard and still at it and taking a week for us) late 50's..still sexy but don't look it or need to show it... Ha Ha. what to pack, what to wear, money needed, do we tip each person who helps us (paid for gratuity up front) just want a great trip and get to see a lot and not do anything wrong. I am purchasing the "drinks" package just in case or just in time.. not sure about doing prepaid shore excursions... taking 2 bathing suits and probably no one will see either one(smiling) can I bring my own pillows? no limit account for ship expenses and taking some moolah also. I am scared to death of heights and water so this will be an experience for me. Never get carsick but taking dramamine jic. What else? I also want to add... I am not sure if any of this posts here as I am not sure how this thread works or if this is posted where it should be. I hope to read all your tips and advice and hope I can find it. Looking for a like button or reply. I am so not a social media techie(msp?) Edited by ShipPrincess
just adding more

You're about to have the trip of a lifetime. How do I know this? Because it sounds like you're traveling with your very best friend. With kids and grandkids under your belt....the 2 of you can probably conquer the world.

Order room service. Sip on some icy drinks by the pool. Dress up for dinner and buy the picture....in 20 years you'll be glad you did. Read a book under a palm tree or go explore ancient ruins. We can offer lots of suggestions but it's really about how the 2 of you want to relax. Whatever you decide to do, HAVE FUN!! If you realize that you didn't get to do it all then there's the perfect reason to start planning your next cruise.

Bring Dramamine.

If u want a pool chair get there before 7am.

Bring magnet hooks to put on the walls of your cabin to hang wet suits etc.

Spend time out on deck in the evenings...it's absolutely captivating.

Bring a big enough overnight bag for your last night for all your essentials as u have to have everything packed and they take your luggage night before u disembark.

Have a great time. We leave April 14th for a 10 day Carribean. ...bringing kids this time too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Get out of your cabin!

Take advantage of the opportunities the ship offers. But don't feel you have to pay extra for all the extras the ship will try to sell you. For instance a beverage package (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) is a great moneymaker for the ship because most people don't drink enough to make it worthwhile.

Explore the ports - don't stay on the ship. Who knows if you'll ever get back there?

It's customary to give an extra tip to ship staff who consistently do a great job for you. For instance your cabin steward, waiters and perhaps one or two others. These folks don't make much, even with the gratuity fee the ship charges you.

Edited by CruisermanVA