Staggered Check-In Thoughts?

kmt1000

Please be aware that your check-in time and boarding time are two different things. On my Carnival Splendor cruise last month, I had a 10:30 AM check in time. Check-in went very quickly and smoothly (except for an unfortunate and potentially dangerous back-up on the escalator), but I had to sit and wait for over an hour before I was actually able to board. After the wedding guests and various priority groups, then you will be called the board according to your assigned group number.

s[/url]

How is your group number determined? We don't have any priority status and aren't in a suite, so we will be with the masses. I've seen references to boarding "zones" for the masses - how is your zone determined? Thanks!

How is your group number determined? We don't have any priority status and aren't in a suite, so we will be with the masses. I've seen references to boarding "zones" for the masses - how is your zone determined? Thanks!

The zone number is determined by your arrival time into the terminal. At least that's how it was, anyway. This is why everyone always flooded the cruise terminal at 9 or 10 AM and it was a total chaotic mess by 11:30 or noon. So they have now implemented this staggered check-in, and normally all the earliest slots are filled first. Many people want to be one of the first on the ship.

If someone is priority status, they can select any time slot they want, and can still arrive at the terminal at the time it opens. They will be allowed to enter if their boarding passes say "priority".

The zone number is determined by your arrival time into the terminal. At least that's how it was, anyway. This is why everyone always flooded the cruise terminal at 9 or 10 AM and it was a total chaotic mess by 11:30 or noon. So they have now implemented this staggered check-in, and normally all the earliest slots are filled first. Many people want to be one of the first on the ship.

So if we have a relatively early check-in time (we are signed up for 11-11:30), then we should have a relatively early boarding zone as well (after priority, etc.)?

Thanks!

I can only give you my experience on the Vista. Staggered Check-In got me onboard later than I have ever boarded on any cruise. I am not sure why the lines were so long but, they were pretty bad. I was expecting it to be a snap with all the reports I had read on here. I was even able to select the earliest check i time offered online 11-11:30 (I am only Gold). I read all the great reports of how wonderful Staggered Checkin is but, it sure wasn't on our Vista in Nov. Maybe it works better on smaller ships? Maybe our cruise was diamond top heavy? I don't know.

I can only give you my experience on the Vista. Staggered Check-In got me onboard later than I have ever boarded on any cruise. I am not sure why the lines were so long but, they were pretty bad. I was expecting it to be a snap with all the reports I had read on here. I was even able to select the earliest check i time offered online 11-11:30 (I am only Gold). I read all the great reports of how wonderful Staggered Checkin is but, it sure wasn't on our Vista in Nov. Maybe it works better on smaller ships? Maybe our cruise was diamond top heavy? I don't know.

What time did you board? My family and I are on the Vista in July and I just selected our check-in slot as 11-11:30.

So if we have a relatively early check-in time (we are signed up for 11-11:30), then we should have a relatively early boarding zone as well (after priority, etc.)?

Thanks!

Well, it just depends on how many get ahead of you in line. I have heard of crazy lines outside the cruise terminal, but generally speaking I think if you have an earlier check-in time you will certainly be ahead of those with later check in times.

Talking about staggered check-in times, I just wanted to share my story.

We cruised on the Splendor out of Miami on October 30, 2016. We had a check in time of 10:30; however we did not arrive to the terminal until closer to 11. As soon as we pulled up, we handed our luggage off to the porters and went to the doors. I have never seen such a mess :eek: We waited in line outside for a while, then when we saw the inside :eek: We finally got through the initial checkpoint, were directed to the priority check-in (we are platinum), then we were mis-directed to a line upstairs, which we found out was a separate check-in place to go if you did NOT have your credit card set up to your S&S account. Then went to sit in the priority area. We could not sit. Jam-packed. Wall to wall people. The line to board went up more stairs, through a hall. People that didn't have passports had to have their pictures taken. A hold-up. We were still waiting to get through that and we heard them calling zone 4 :eek: I am sailing from Miami again in a couple of weeks and hope I do not have this same experience.

• 2 months later...
on all carnival ships that have implemented staggered check in they are strict and you will not be able to go to the terminal until your time.

the only exception is if you are platinum or diamond or fttf you can go to the terminal when you want

Does Carnival check you in by the time reflected on your boarding pass? Or is your time reflected somewhere in their system as well?

Does Carnival check you in by the time reflected on your boarding pass? Or is your time reflected somewhere in their system as well?

Carnival allows you inside the terminal by the time on your boarding pass. EM

It's on your boarding pass and will also show when they scan it.

Thank you! For instance, we printed our boarding passes with 12:30pm boarding time. But since then, an 11:30am time slot opened up and that is reflected as our check in time online but not on our boarding pass. Let's say we don't have time to print the new ones, what would you do? Asking for a friend... :evilsmile:

Thank you! For instance, we printed our boarding passes with 12:30pm boarding time. But since then, an 11:30am time slot opened up and that is reflected as our check in time online but not on our boarding pass. Let's say we don't have time to print the new ones, what would you do? Asking for a friend... :evilsmile:

You will need to reprint your passes :)

Love staggered check-in. Not everyone can get on the ship first. It's appropriate that Plats and Diamonds get preferred and that you can purchase FTTF if it's available and you want it.

Edited by jsglow