Staggered Check-In Thoughts?

kmt1000

With FTTF, what is the earliest time we can check in? I was able to also get a 12-12:30 check in time online. So I know we won't be on too late either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends on the ship. Some are 10:30, others like Vista are 11:00. You can ask here or on your roll call to find out what the first time slot is.

KMT1000 I am directing my answer only to you, because there be people that will argue with me that staggered check in is wonderful but I want to give you MY thoughts on it.

I am ALL AGAINST it...for many reasons. We also arrive the same time or perhaps a half hour later than you usually do to the terminal, so WE know, there never are lines....

Putting that aside this is why I feel staggered check in is not fair:

1- I like to board as early as possible and have most of my day on the ship, I feel boarding around 1-3pm you basically loose half the daytime on the ship and you pretty much loose having lunch

2- I always do pre cruise night stay at the port of embarkation, I have to leave the hotel by 11 where the heck would I sit and go to wait to 1-2pm to get to the ship!

3- I like to get to my cabin immediately when available so I can unpack and get things all situated, this is nice because its all done and I can start enjoying my cruise.

Sometimes we take last minute cruises, which would mean I will not be able to get early boarding time as most people generally prefer this, so I will no longer be booking up any Carnival last minute cruises unless my PVP can verify I can get on board before 11am. I will just take my business more to Royal Caribbean and Princess.

About your boarding time, I suggest grabbing the 1pm you don't want to end up any later time, and keep watch or call your PVP from time to time to see if an earlier slot opens for you.

Your PVP can't guarantee this. You can take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and use the Carnival transfer to the port. Those on Carnival transfers can enter the terminal on arrival. Just show your paperwork.

If you have special boarding due to disability..are you allowed in before the "assigned" check in time?

When we did the special boarding without the staggered, we were able to walk straight in and we were on the boat within minutes.

No. You still need to choose a check in time. If you are in the terminal when boarding starts, you may be able to board after the priority groups and before General boarding. If boarding had already begun, you may be able to board when crew is available to assist between zones.

No. You still need to choose a check in time. If you are in the terminal when boarding starts, you may be able to board after the priority groups and before General boarding. If boarding had already begun, you may be able to board when crew is available to assist between zones.

See post #23.

Thanks. We did choose one when we booked it. I contacted the special needs. We don't need assistance to help us on. Ours is a special expedited embarkation for our son (more about the length it takes to get on) So, I am checking with them about how it will work this time as they were wonderful last time.

As Platinum I had to choose a time but I found this on Carnival rules:

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal.

Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or 'Faster to the Fun' must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing - please select your anticipated check-in time so that we can prepare for your arrival onboard.

As Platinum I had to choose a time but I found this on Carnival rules:

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal.

Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or 'Faster to the Fun' must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing - please select your anticipated check-in time so that we can prepare for your arrival onboard.

Yep, that is correct. That's why it's best to gather all the facts before deciding to be so adamantly against something. Keeps you from getting all worked up over nothing.

Any experience out there regarding arriving past your assigned window time? We have a longer drive to the port and are hoping to make a 10:30 boarding time. If we are an hour late due to traffic, will it have a negative affect on allowing us to check in? I realize we may have to stand longer in line if we have to come in when others are assigned at a later time.

Any experience out there regarding arriving past your assigned window time? We have a longer drive to the port and are hoping to make a 10:30 boarding time. If we are an hour late due to traffic, will it have a negative affect on allowing us to check in? I realize we may have to stand longer in line if we have to come in when others are assigned at a later time.

Nope, you can arrive any time after your assigned time :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks. We did choose one when we booked it. I contacted the special needs. We don't need assistance to help us on. Ours is a special expedited embarkation for our son (more about the length it takes to get on) So, I am checking with them about how it will work this time as they were wonderful last time.

If you want to breeze through the terminal and right on the ship, simply arrive after 1 pm.

I am flying into Miami the morning of my cruise. Flight arrives at 8:30am. I read that Miami Airport has a Check-in Desk there open from 8-2. If I check in at the airport at 9am and take Uber to the Port arriving before 10, Can I get into terminal when I get there? I have a 12:00-12:30 check-in window. But I will already be "checked-in" when I arrive. Will I be able to board earlier? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

I am flying into Miami the morning of my cruise. Flight arrives at 8:30am. I read that Miami Airport has a Check-in Desk there open from 8-2. If I check in at the airport at 9am and take Uber to the Port arriving before 10, Can I get into terminal when I get there? I have a 12:00-12:30 check-in window. But I will already be "checked-in" when I arrive. Will I be able to board earlier? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

No. If you are not Diamond, Platinum, FTTF, Suite, or purchase a Carnival transfer, you must adhere to your time or you will not be let in the terminal. Some ships don't start check in until 11 AM. So that would be the earliest you could arrive if you were one of those groups. If you get there before the first check in window, you will be waiting outside.

When we cruise out of NOLA in July they were very strict on the check-in times. Your boarding passes were checked and if you were there before your check-in time, you were not allowed in the building. You can show op after your check-in time, but not before.

Thanks!

If you take Carnival transfers from the airport, you can enter before your assigned time. Just show your transfers.

If you take Carnival transfers from the airport, you can enter before your assigned time. Just show your transfers.

That is right but it's not what they were asking. They were asking if they checked in at the airport and didn't take a transfer could they get in early and the answer is no.

Edited by firemanbobswife

That is right but it's not what they were asking. They were asking if they checked in at the airport and didn't take a transfer could they get in early and the answer is no.

That's why I said take the Carnival transfers, would not cost that much more and they could enter the terminal on arrival

Please be aware that your check-in time and boarding time are two different things. On my Carnival Splendor cruise last month, I had a 10:30 AM check in time. Check-in went very quickly and smoothly (except for an unfortunate and potentially dangerous back-up on the escalator), but I had to sit and wait for over an hour before I was actually able to board. After the wedding guests and various priority groups, then you will be called the board according to your assigned group number.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by OhJinkies

on all carnival ships that have implemented staggered check in they are strict and you will not be able to go to the terminal until your time.

the only exception is if you are platinum or diamond or fttf you can go to the terminal when you want

We always book a suite and go when we want as well.