Excursions

texasskier

My wife and I are booked on Silver Spirit 5730 Monte Carlo to Barcelona. I haven't figured out how to check on what excursions are available for this voyage. When I go to MY Silversea and click Excursions I get the message about them being available to book 90-120 days before departure. I understand that I can't book them but where is the list from which I may eventually choose?

Are any of these excursions included a la Regent and Crystal?
In 2016, SS ran an all-inclusive tours promotion on its Mediterranean, Asia and Africa voyages. The "free" excursions tended to be port overviews or simple walking tours, while the more immersive Silver Shore Collection excursions cost more. I have not seen SS announce they are carrying this over into 2017.

Texasskier,

It looks like for 2017 SS is offering free roundtrip economy air for voyages in the Med. In addition, certain voyages offer a $1,500 OBC (which would cover the cost of lots of excursions), or a 2-category suite upgrade, or 50% off a 2nd suite. Not sure if your voyage qualifies though.

Good luck!

Thanks. Are any of these excursions included a la Regent and Crystal? Assuming no they aren't, where are prices listed?

I think I understand why you have this question. There are a bunch of excursions listed for your voyage, but no prices. It would be cool if they were included, right? ;)

Actually, I think that this list is a bunch of POTENTIAL excursions that may have been offered at this port in the past and MAY be offered on your sailing, or other sailings this year. It can change from year to year, visit to visit. That's why they preface this section with, "The following excursions are provided as a sample of what may be offered on this voyage and are subject to change."

When your voyage gets closer, and you are closer to the booking window for excursions, then the prices will appear. Your cruise isn't for 9 months. It's too soon to book excursions, and SS probably doesn't know for sure what they'll even offer at each port, and what the onshore providers will even charge, so no prices are set yet.

I haven't been on SS since 2014 but this is how it worked for our last two cruises. There was a list on the website many months in advance but the actual prices did not appear until booking time. It's great for us to have the (potential) excursions available, because that gives us an idea of what the major attractions are in each port. Once we know that, we always try to figure out if we can visit on our own, and do it for less! :D

Edited by jpalbny

JP has offered some excellent advice. As I was doing planning for a cruise last year well before the excursions actually became available to book, I found one listed that I just loved for Dubai. When the bookings became available, that excursion was not listed as available. I did some research and found a private tour operator that would provide exactly what I was hoping for...a dinner in the desert. It worked out perfectly for us. The listing of "potential" excursions was a big help!

I wish they had some type of pricing guide listed so that I could gage what my budget for excursions when the do become available. Not going to book anything fancy for our Med trip this August but we will be interested in the biking/kayaking types. I have only sailed Celebrity and wonder how they compare in price. Fully recognize that prices will vary significantly for the type of excursion but just curious.

Any opinions or thoughts?

I wish they had some type of pricing guide listed so that I could gage what my budget for excursions when the do become available. Not going to book anything fancy for our Med trip this August but we will be interested in the biking/kayaking types. I have only sailed Celebrity and wonder how they compare in price. Fully recognize that prices will vary significantly for the type of excursion but just curious. Any opinions or thoughts?

Appreciate this follow-up and the various added comments/info from J.P., Mrs Waldo, etc. Yes, in the words of a former U.S. President, "I feel your pain!" We are getting ready for a Silver Spirit mid-June sailing from Lisbon to Rouen. Yes, I can get a good mix of info on excursion options, intensity of walking/steps, etc. BUT, the pricing details would be very, very helpful to know!! However, we cannot see the pricing specifics and book till 90 days prior to the sailing date.

Why the slowness to post pricings? My guess and speculation based on having done four cruises with Silversea, including last year in South Africa, is focused on several factors. If you are based in Monaco, as is the case with Silversea, the value of the euro is not that great now for businesses such as SS. This morning, it is one euro costs $1.08. Much different than when the euro was valued at $1.30 to $1.40. Second, their vendors providing these services are "local" companies in the different countries and regions. There are always "negotiations" and adjustments happening as to what sells, what is offered, etc. If you lock in the costs and details too far in advance, things can change. Then people complain about these "late" adjustments.

Some other cruise lines will not give exact pricing too far ahead, but will at least offer a code or hint, by labeling the pricing range being at . . . $$$, $$ or $.

Hate to wait till that 90-day timing point, but that is the way it is working right now with Silversea.

Having previously done two cruises with Celebrity, our experience has been that Silversea's pricing tends to be a little higher than with larger cruise lines. Part of that is because there tends to be less people put or "packed" on an excursion bus. That just Economics 101.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 28,757 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 4 weeks later...