Find my iPad while at sea

es0

Can the "Find my iPad/iPhone" app locate me while I am at sea?

I will have the internet package, so my iPad will be connected to wifi.

I am wondering if I can let someone at home watch the ships movement as I cruise, by using the app.

That might work, but there's a good number of websites that will allow you to do that more easily. Do a search on "ship tracking" and you'll find some to try. I'm sure other posters who have a favourite site will help you select one of the better ones.

If your iPad is the cellular version it has a GPS chip and it will provide your location. You'll probably have to be on an open deck to receive signal. With wifi only you won't receive the correct location. From my experience it will show you as being in the home port you left from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a search on "ship tracking" and you'll find some to try.

I don't know of any site that provides free location info away from shore (usually lose location more than ~10 miles out). There are paid versions that use sats, but not a free version.

If your iPad is the cellular version it has a GPS chip and it will provide your location. You'll probably have to be on an open deck to receive signal. With wifi only you won't receive the correct location. From my experience it will show you as being in the home port you left from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wifi is based on IP address, so location will definitely be a little off, maybe a lot depending on how the ship is routing internet traffic. GPS would work, and you might not need cellular enabled as long as wifi was, but I don't know for certain.

I don't know of any site that provides free location info away from shore (usually lose location more than ~10 miles out). There are paid versions that use sats, but not a free version.

It's been a while since I've used one, so you're probably right. Still, some of them, such as the free version of http://www.shipfinder.com, give you the information with a built in time delay. For OP's purposes, that would probably suffice.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I did find one at marinetraffic.com. They allow you to track one vessel with the free account.

I'll check out the shipfinder site as well. You are correct, this is definitely a better solution than Find my iPad.

I did find one at marinetraffic.com. They allow you to track one vessel with the free account.

You are correct, this is definitely a better solution than Find my iPad.

If the ship is on schedule, the sea scanner site has the predicted path and location on its site - something for when the ship is out of AIS range.

Edited by Biker19

That might work, but there's a good number of websites that will allow you to do that more easily. Do a search on "ship tracking" and you'll find some to try. I'm sure other posters who have a favourite site will help you select one of the better ones.

Those ship tracking apps sometimes don't update for days when a ship isn't close to a station.