Escape or Epic Spring Break with Teens?

Timbek2

Hi all! These threads have helped us so much in the past! I am looking to book Spring Break cruise for our family in the Haven. We stayed in the Haven just the two of us last year on the Getaway and LOVED it! We are looking at the Escape or Epic. I know the Escape is a newer ship obviously but I have read that the Haven in Epic is very nice also. We will have two teenagers with us so I am also wanting to make sure they have plenty to do while we relax in the Haven area :) Any input is greatly appreciated! The Epic is cheaper so that's where I am torn! Thanks in advance!

Becki

We were introduced to the Haven on Epic because the price was right!! We have teen girls. Loved confining their mess to a second bedroom. They loved Epic; it was our second time on her.

Frankly, spring break on a ship will please teens. They just want to find new people to hangout with; they usually do.

I haven't been on Epic, but if your teens are active, they will absolutely love the ropes course and the water slides on Escape. The ropes course has two stories, and when the second floor is open, it is amazing. Would highly recommend this for active teens.

I doubt your teens will appreciate the bathroom setup on the epic

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If they are staying in the Haven, it won't matter.

While there are water slides on both ships, I'm sure the teens will enjoy the ropes course on the Escape.

If you are staying in the Haven, one thing to consider is that the Escape has a retractable roof over their courtyard, so if the weather is not good, the courtyard is still usable. Another advantage to the Escape is that we thought the living area of the 2-bedroom cabins were a bit larger on the Escape than they were on the Epic.

You will have a nice time on either ship, but you might want to take into consideration things like flight costs and airports (do you really want to fly into MCO during spring break?), hotel prices and even things like entertainment on the ship.

We've been on the Epic twice and the Escape once. When we planned our 2018 cruise, we chose the Escape over the Epic simply because there were a few small things that we liked better about it.

Most Public Schools, K-12, in the US will be either the week before or after Easter Sunday. However that isn't always the case. U.S. University's will be anywhere from late Feb through March.
I guess it depends on how you define "most".

Easter always moves around from year to year. But my kids' spring break for years has always been the last week of March. Sometimes that happens to be the week before or the week after Easter. Sometimes it doesn't. This year, it doesn't.

Most Public Schools, K-12, in the US will be either the week before or after Easter Sunday. However that isn't always the case. U.S. University's will be anywhere from late Feb through March.

Just sayin', I think that's a northern thing. Down here in Texas, spring break is usually the 2nd or 3rd week in March. 'Cause we ain't got no snow to melt, y'all!

Honestly if the price gap is big enough all of this should be a moot point. They are both excellent NCL ships that can give a great experience.

We have not been on the Epic, but sailed the Escape with a 15yo boy, he loved it. The key is the teen club. He met others and was able to join in activities with them through the club and outside the club. He loves basketball so he made friends and played a lot. At night there were parties (in the club or they came to the big party as a group). He did the ropes course and slides with friends as well.

The Escape has some options that the Epic won't have:

- Waterfront concept is one of my favorite features

- Supper Club dinner shows and one non dinner show

- Wine Cellar and Craft Beer location get rotating live music entertainers

- O'Sheehan's has games that teens can play, nice combo if they come there for a bite (fee for the games)

- Manhattan room for dinner with entertainment and dance floor

As far as the Haven areas, I would chose the Epic. Their bar, courtyard, restaurant, and outside sundeck areas are larger. I liked Posh better than the Escape's outdoor area.

The pool areas are much better on the Epic. For whatever reason, they downsized the pool deck/area on the Escape and it is the worst design I have seen on any ship. It is very claustrophobic to me. The atrium is considerably smaller on the Escape which limits seating/viewing for many activities.

All this being said, I really like the Escape due to the added restaurants (upcharges), bars and the waterfront venues/areas.

Good luck choosing :-)

Hi all! These threads have helped us so much in the past! I am looking to book Spring Break cruise for our family in the Haven. We stayed in the Haven just the two of us last year on the Getaway and LOVED it! We are looking at the Escape or Epic. I know the Escape is a newer ship obviously but I have read that the Haven in Epic is very nice also. We will have two teenagers with us so I am also wanting to make sure they have plenty to do while we relax in the Haven area :) Any input is greatly appreciated! The Epic is cheaper so that's where I am torn! Thanks in advance!

Becki

Becki

Hi Becki!

We have sailed on the Epic 6 times and the Escape twice. And have sailed in the Havens on both ships.

Your kids will like the the Escape much better. For Mom and Dad, the Escape has the benefit of a retractable roof over the courtyard so you can lounge rain or shine. And on very hot and humid days, you can relax in air conditioned sunshine.

For the family, the Escape offers more unique and fun (paid) specialty dining options as well as the Cellars wine bar and District Brewhouse for mom and dad.

We were on the Escape a few months ago and the Epic last year and we definitely liked the Escape more. We have also been on the Getaway and the Escape will feel like a twin for you I think. (We are also sailing spring break April 9-16 on the Getaway again)

Price to me is always a factor. I just don't like paying a lot more for a similar experience. I have never been on Epic. I am sure she is nice. Escape was great last year. I believe the slides are "better" on the Escape with the tube slide being our pre-teens favorite and the drop slides being pretty awesome. When it comes down to it, I would be asking "are the Haven experiences just as good as one another?" And if so, go for the cheaper Epic. The kids won't be saying, dang, we went on Epic vs Escape in 20 years. You can tell them the difference went into their college fund. : )

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. Leaning towards escape mainly due to ropes course. We really enjoyed it on getaway. Most likely won't get to cruise with kids again in the near future so go big or go home. :). I appreciate all the feedback.,

Our break is always Easter week. Unfortunately the busiest week of all. Ugh