Air Travel Dilemma

MistyRo76

So I just booked airfare for our November Vista cruise. We will be traveling with a three year-old so I was trying to strategically select flights without long lay-overs or very late flight times, even if I had to pay more for them. I was actually able to get a pretty decent deal on the Delta direct flights from where we live to Ft. Lauderdale and back! No layovers and the departure times were both perfect!

Initially, our return flight was scheduled for 12:45 out of FLL (PERFECT!). Well, of course, they've already had a schedule change and they've moved the direct flight up to 11:15AM. We'll be sailing into Miami which means the longer drive to the airport - which I've done several times. I've been to FLL as early as 9AM and never later than 10AM. But that was back before traveling with a little one in tow. I'm also Platinum, so we'll have priority disembarkation. And there's a good probability that the schedule will continue to be tweaked since we are still 9+ months out from when we fly.

Trying to decide if we chance it or try to get booked on something later. Thoughts, advise, personal experiences? I wouldn't even sweat it, if it was just me and DH. But I definitely don't want to be stuck in an airport with a toddler for hours and hours! :D

Thanks!

An 11:15 out of MIA wouldn't make me nervous but out of FLL I may bite my nails some. Your flight will begin boarding approximately 10:45. You need to be at the airport, get through security on a busy travel day and and to your gate by then and that's after you've debarked the ship, gone through customs and made the 30-45 min drive to FLL.

I wouldn't take a chance on the 11:15 flight. Too much could go wrong and cause you to miss the flight. Since Delta changed the flight time, they will change your reservation at no charge to a later flight that you can comfortably make. I highly recommend that, especially with a 3-year old.

Edited by nwcruiselover

I wouldn't take a chance on the 11:15 flight. Too much could go wrong and cause you to miss the flight. Since Delta changed the flight time, they will change your reservation at no charge to a later flight that you can comfortably make. I highly recommend that, especially with a 3-year old.

Yeah...I know they will change us. But then if the direct flight shifts back to a later time, I wonder if they will move us back?? Or maybe I wait it out a few months and see if things change more? I'm going to call them later today or tomorrow and see what they can offer.

BEFORE you call. Know that a direct flight is a flight that stops somewhere and you do not get off the plane.

when talking to the rep you want information for a non stop flight

Do NOT accept that flight. They have to offer you a similar flight with no more money paid by you.

and you want to keep an eye on it as sometimes flights get changed

I would not feel comfortable with that 11 am flight out of FLL with your cruise out of MIA.

Edited by serene56

Two cruises ago, the TSA line at FLL was over an hour and a half long. They denied boarding to several groups even though the plane was still at the gate.

Can you make it, yes.

WILL you make it? Maybe

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I easily made an 11:20 flight out of FLL on NYE 2016 coming off the Vista in Miami. I did platinum debarkation but checked my bags off the ship and was still in the first wave of people getting off the ship. I took SAS shuttle and was at the FLL airport around 8:30. I did curb side check in (best money ever spent). The security line was very long, and took about half an hour to 45 min to clear and I still had over an hour sitting at my gate. This was on Southwest and the airport was packed with holiday travelers. I also had my 6 y/o with me. I think you will be fine if you get off the ship ASAP.

One thing you might try with Delta, since they changed your flight, is see if they will fly you out of MIA instead.

That happen to me a couple of years ago. Was flying into FLL for a Miami cruise. Delta changed our flight coming in over 2 hrs later. I called them up and told them that I could not make the ship with their change. They found us another flight into MIA for no extra cost that worked with our time frame.

Saved us time and money.

Edited by HawkIVette

We just came off the Vista on Sunday with a 1:05pm flight out of FLL. We did a self assist and were easily off the ship by 8:30am with pre-arrange transportation waiting for us. We were at the FLL airport at 9:20am checked in through security to our gate by 9:50am. We were flying SWA. The debarkation process on the Vista was flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I just booked airfare for our November Vista cruise. We will be traveling with a three year-old so I was trying to strategically select flights without long lay-overs or very late flight times, even if I had to pay more for them. I was actually able to get a pretty decent deal on the Delta direct flights from where we live to Ft. Lauderdale and back! No layovers and the departure times were both perfect!

Initially, our return flight was scheduled for 12:45 out of FLL (PERFECT!). Well, of course, they've already had a schedule change and they've moved the direct flight up to 11:15AM. We'll be sailing into Miami which means the longer drive to the airport - which I've done several times. I've been to FLL as early as 9AM and never later than 10AM. But that was back before traveling with a little one in tow. I'm also Platinum, so we'll have priority disembarkation. And there's a good probability that the schedule will continue to be tweaked since we are still 9+ months out from when we fly.

Trying to decide if we chance it or try to get booked on something later. Thoughts, advise, personal experiences? I wouldn't even sweat it, if it was just me and DH. But I definitely don't want to be stuck in an airport with a toddler for hours and hours! :D

Thanks!

11 15 is fine but they will probably change a time or 3.