Thoughts on a 4 or 5 day family cruise in August

Renae3

Hello! My family is considering a cruise on Carnival out of Florida in August. We have 4 kids, ages 4, 8, 11, and 14. I am looking for a family atmosphere, not sure if shorter cruises are good for families as I heard there is more partying. Looks like my options are Carnival Conquest out of Ft. Lauderdale or Liberty our of Port Canaveral. Both of those go to the Bahamas. My other choices are Splendor out of Ft. Lauderdale or Victory out of Miami, these go to the Caribbean. Also Conquest does Carribbean too. What ship would you recommend for my family? We have done Disney in the past, but the price is insane! Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

personally, we prefer at least a 7-day cruise for kids/families. our kids always enjoyed a longer cruise and they make friends and go off on their own for most of the vacation.

it's not really that much more for a 7 versus 5 day cruise.

and the ports will give them more fun things to do and you as parents will enjoy more vacation time too, and adult time if your kids are independent.

We are doing a 5 day out of New Orleans at the very end of this August with our kids, 4 and then 13. We've only done 7 day cruises before. This is going to new places we've not been to yet and we've never been to NO as well so we will add on a couple days before or after (depending on plane ticket prices) to explore NO.

Hello! My family is considering a cruise on Carnival out of Florida in August. We have 4 kids, ages 4, 8, 11, and 14. I am looking for a family atmosphere, not sure if shorter cruises are good for families as I heard there is more partying. Looks like my options are Carnival Conquest out of Ft. Lauderdale or Liberty our of Port Canaveral. Both of those go to the Bahamas. My other choices are Splendor out of Ft. Lauderdale or Victory out of Miami, these go to the Caribbean. Also Conquest does Carribbean too. What ship would you recommend for my family? We have done Disney in the past, but the price is insane! Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

The rule of thumb is the shorter the cruise, the more folks try and fit that 7 day cruise into 4 or 5 days. Yes, way more partying.

As far as Disney costing way more than Carnival. You get what you pay for. There is a good reason why Disney is top rated and Carnival is not.

I would do at least 5 day or more truthfully for more of a family atmosphere. The Liberty is good and PC good port to cruise out of.

You do have the option of Tampa and those ships do 5 day and go to Coz or Caymen Islands or both so good option for something different.

First, do a 7 day , if you can swing it.. By time you get settled into the cruise its over. Port Canaveral is easy to get to and easy to find your way to the terminal. When ever we can we skip the Bahamas and Jamaica and cruise the Caribbean. Sailed Liberty a few years ago. Had a great time, nice ship. I would go to MIA or FLL to the Caribbean.

Any of the ships will provide a good family cruise.

Hi there

We have taken 5 day cruises but have to admit it almost doesn't feel worth the trouble of going all the way to Florida. 7 days is a more "typical" vacation.

Since you are travelling in August, have you considered Bermuda? It is a really nice island, the weather would be good at that time and it has good beaches and transportation. There are departures from Bayonne. Not having to travel far to get to the port with a large family should have some value by itself. It wouldn't be Carnival but I thought it might be worth considering.

whatever you choose

have a great cruise

The shorter the cruise the much more party atmosphere. And this is doubly true on a weekend where people only have to take a couple of days from work. It is only on these cruises where we have seen security babysitting the door when we get up in the mornings. As others have said, a 6-7 cruise would be much improved. None of these ships are the newest so do a comparison on the website to make sure you are getting the amenities you want. Carnival has great kids programs so they will have fun - but it is obviously a different feel without the Magic of the Disney shows and dinners. As others have said, go Caribbean. If you do go 4 day, we enjoyed Victory to Key West and Cozumel very much - but it was a big party with our neighbors attempting a family reunion in the hall at 11 at night...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on 4, 5, and 7 day cruises. Sooooo glad I did not have my younger girls with me on the shorter cruises. They felt like one big party. Pools were always full of drunk college girls or drunk couples. If I was younger I would be ok with it, but I know I'll never do a family cruise for less than six days. What at the 6 day conquest cruises?

I just booked Carnival Liberty for August 2018 taking my 4 grand kids 4,4,12 and 16

Booked the liberty out of port canaveral. Sun thru Thursday HItting up seaworld and going home the next day.

Conquest and Liberty are sister ships and will be about the same except for decor

Is the Splendor doing 4-5 day cruises too?

For NJ is your airport of choice PHL?

FLL is cheaper to fly into then Mia. But shared rides to get to Mia costs about 15.00pp one way. (so factor that into your cost)

SW releases their fares on Feb 23 and that will be the cheapest you will find your flights

Please note that Aug/Sept at prime time hurricane season so do NOT book a cruise because you want to see a certain port

On carnival your kids will all be in separate camps

2-5

6-8

which is next to each other and will need you to sign them in and out

9-11

12-14

9-11 is the best in the fleet and will need your permission in order to sign them selves in and out and will need that persmission in order to participate in the ship wide scavenger hunts

the oldest child is tricky because this is an age that is too cool for programs.

but make it mandatory they go to the orientation / open house that first night so they can meet the kids onboard with them. The counselor will be doing ice breakers at this time

you will see this age group hanging out around the ship- sitting in hot tubs. playing cards, eating pizza etc

Something to consider

is the airfare to florida for 6 people

Look at the Pride out of Baltimore - no airfare is needed and its a 7 day cruise

or look at New york cruises-- Sunshine going to Canada

or 4 days- again no airfare.

with 6 people you need two cabins

We aren't willing to travel to Florida for only a four night. It's just too short to justify the expense. Like others have said, they also feel more frantic with people trying to cram things in. We've done a five night for March break, and will be again next year, and I recommend them. You get more time on board and there are far better destinations. I'd look in to driving to Baltimore or Boston. The cruise fares tend to be higher, but when you subtract airfare you'd be way ahead.