Silver Whisper - Verandah Cabin

Captain Noodles

Hi everyone, does anyone have any cabin recommendations for the Silver Whisper ? Any cabins to avoid ?

It will probably be a V1 Verandha that we book but am a little concerned that we might feel the movement in the water a bit more since most of these cabins appear to be at the front of the boat. Would we be better going for a mid ship cabin instead ?

Not really sure what to expect as this will be the first cruise for myself and my wife. Looking at a Caribbean itinerary leaving from Ft Lauderdale at the end of Oct 2018.

Thanks.

Hi everyone, does anyone have any cabin recommendations for the Silver Whisper ? Any cabins to avoid ?

It will probably be a V1 Verandha that we book but am a little concerned that we might feel the movement in the water a bit more since most of these cabins appear to be at the front of the boat. Would we be better going for a mid ship cabin instead ?

Not really sure what to expect as this will be the first cruise for myself and my wife. Looking at a Caribbean itinerary leaving from Ft Lauderdale at the end of Oct 2018.

Thanks.

Congratulations on planning your first cruise! I'll never forget the first cruise my wife and I took. On the 2nd day, we looked at each other at lunch and said why did we wait 20-years to take our first cruise?

To answer your question, yes, you will feel more movement the closer you are to the bow or the stern of a ship. Take a pencil or pen and with two fingers hold it in the middle and rotate it forward and backward. This will give you a visual cue of how much more the bow or stern move in relation to the middle.

Have fun planning your voyage!

I wouldn't worry about it too much:)

Cruise ships try to avoid anything that fits into the "Oooh Nasty" category.

She won't pitch that much and with her length it will be barely noticeable.

Any movement is usually slow and gentle. Soothing has been used in some cases.

October is outside of the TRS season ... normally:eek:

Wind? The below offers a more practical reasoning, with thanks to Michael Green.

Beaufort

No.

Seaman's

description

of wind Wind

speed

(knots) For Coarse use, based on observations made at Potter Heigham and Bosham For use on land, based on observations made at land stations 0 Calm < 1 Boat moves sideways with tide Cigarette smoke gets in eyes 1 Light air 1-3 Coarse yachtsmen hoist sail, then wind instantly drops Wet finger feels cold 2 Light breeze 4-6 Tea-towels blow off rigging Public houses close one window 3 Gentle breeze 7-10 Coarse boats careen. Difficult to make tea underway Public houses close two windows 4 Moderate

breeze 11-16 Gas keeps going out Beer froth blows off 5 Fresh

breeze 17-21 Coarse sailors get book on sailing from cabin and turn up a bit on reefing Customers in public-house gardens go inside bar 6 Strong

breeze 22-27 Coarse sailors try to double reef

and go aground Elderly customers have difficulty in leaving public house 7 Moderate

gale

(high wind) 28-33 Coarse sailors rescued by launch Public-house door cannot be opened against the wind 8 Fresh

gale 34-40 Aaaaaaaaaah... Public-house sign blows down 9 Strong

gale 41-47 Coarse sailors in public house Coarse sailors struck by falling sign 10 Whole

gale

(heavy

gale) 48-55 N.B. - Although the Beaufort Scale goes up to Force 12 it is felt unlikely that anything over Force 9 would interest Coarse sailors except on a television programme. 11 Storm 56-65 12 Hurricane > 65