Walkie talkie

Block island

We tried using walkie talkies many years ago on Liberty of the Seas. They didn't work AT ALL so we never tried again on any other ship. We now use the iconcierge if traveling with others or just call each other's rooms and leave messages. Meeting places at a certain time work very well too.

Yet another reason my kids need cell phones! Going to take my old phones in today and put them on a prepaid plan. That way my monthly bill wont be a million dollars when we get home. Their bus was in an accident not long back and I thought then they needed them but @ 11yo my husband says too young.

Will be sailing on the breakaway in April with another couple -

So to keep in touch ( mostly for the kids )

What brand walkie talkies have worked best for those who have used them ?

Is there a better option to communicate on board ?

BaoFeng BF-888S Walkie Talkies 16 Channels Long Range VHF/UHF 400-470MHZ Two Way Radio FM Transceiver Set( 2 Pack)

Available at Amazon $30.00 for two.

BaoFeng BF-888S Walkie Talkies 16 Channels Long Range VHF/UHF 400-470MHZ Two Way Radio FM Transceiver Set( 2 Pack) Available at - - - $30.00 for two.
Amateur radio operators considered these entry-level ham portables, but one needs to be properly licensed for use as it is capable of transmitting on other "government" frequencies causing interference. Ham radios are generally not welcomed onboard NCL ships and can only be used & taken on with expressed/written permission in advance.

I would not bring them along to use unless you are prepared to get them confiscated, plus, depending on the foreign ports visited - there are often "local" restrictions for using them. Even if you do manage to get them onto the ship, odds are that without a base station/repeater and high gain antenna - reception and effective 2-way communications remained a problem due to the massive steel hull & shielding all around the ship.

Ever wonder why the ship's officers and crew do not generally use them to communicate ... they rather use intercoms and carry candy bar style mobile telephone, except when engaged in maritime calling over VHF frequencies (mostly ...)

Amateur radio operators considered these entry-level ham portables, but one needs to be properly licensed for use as it is capable of transmitting on other "government" frequencies causing interference. Ham radios are generally not welcomed onboard NCL ships and can only be used & taken on with expressed/written permission in advance.

I would not bring them along to use unless you are prepared to get them confiscated, plus, depending on the foreign ports visited - there are often "local" restrictions for using them. Even if you do manage to get them onto the ship, odds are that without a base station/repeater and high gain antenna - reception and effective 2-way communications remained a problem due to the massive steel hull & shielding all around the ship.

Ever wonder why the ship's officers and crew do not generally use them to communicate ... they rather use intercoms and carry candy bar style mobile telephone, except when engaged in maritime calling over VHF frequencies (mostly ...)

I’ve never seen walkie talkie police onboard. Enjoy your cruise!

I’ve never seen walkie talkie police onboard. Enjoy your cruise!

No walkie-talkie police - but there sure is enough Keystone (security) cops !

All it takes is one incident where a fellow cruise passenger sees one using a satellite phone or other

similar looking walkie-talkie device using coded messages and strange talk - do we have a spy or

government agent on board that we need to be concerned about and a whole lot of -splaing is going to

go on regarding who you are and are there terrorist connections.

Best leave your hobby communications at home or get express permission to use them on board !

Then use them discretely -

There is no cause for alarm -

These are not the droids you were communicating with -

Now about that phone thing - didn't you take a cruise to get away from all that !

I used my Motorola walkies with moderate success. I could travel 8 decks apart and 1/2 the ship away from my wife and still be able to communicate. It came in handy to have and I didn't ever hear anyone else on our frequency but then again, I believe this model of walkie talkie uses encryption. Each handset in the series has to be programmed using special software so only those keyed to each other can hear each other.

Download iconcierge, and pay the $7.99 (?) per device.

What? $8? And per device? Nominal fee my patookus. Maybe walkie talkies aren't a bad idea after all. May not have good range, but if the ship's not that big either, might be good enough. Especially if you mix that in with periodic check in or meet up times.