Britannia vs Ventura your thoughts....

Danem7683

Hi

Myself and the husband did our 1st cruise 2yrs ago with RC, we are looking to do another one but with P&O, specifically like the look of Britannia/Ventura.

I like Britannia and husband Ventura so we are torn.

Can people give me there general thoughts on the ships, and if anyone has been on both which you preferred and why.

Thanks so much.

E :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi

Myself and the husband did our 1st cruise 2yrs ago with RC, we are looking to do another one but with P&O, specifically like the look of Britannia/Ventura.

I like Britannia and husband Ventura so we are torn.

Can people give me there general thoughts on the ships, and if anyone has been on both which you preferred and why.

Thanks so much.

E :)

Sorry I like both and have cruises on both coming up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Haven't been on Ventura, but have been on her sister ship Azura. Ventura and Azura are identical in layout etc, the only difference is that Ventura's main pool can be covered over and Azura has the SeaScreen.

There are actually lots of similarities between Britannia and Azura/Ventura, they are more or less the same layout, just Britannia is a bit bigger.

Personally I found Britannia rather soulless, I found most of the décor (especially the inside cabins) dingy and I didn't like the fact that there is no outside space apart from the top pool and sports decks. Azura/Ventura may not have a wrap-around prom deck but at least you can stroll most of the length of one side. I'd happily sail on Azura again, I'm meh about Britannia. if it was the right itinerary/price then I'd go for it, but it would have to be really good.

We have cruised on both ships and Ventura would be our preferred choice.

Looking at Britannia, it is newer, therefore more modern, it has a lovely adults only serenity pool, but it has tiny balconies, no real prom deck, rather bland decor and a soulless atrium. But worst of all it's lifts are far smaller than those on Ventura, it has 600 more passengers and no midships stairs on the passenger decks.

Ventura is older therefore showing its age in some places, but its decor is more like its more snazzy sister line, Princess, therefore far less bland than Britannia. It has reasonable sized standard balconies, with those on C deck being twice as deep, with half covered and half open, and its lifts are bigger and it does have a midship staircase.

The main dining rooms are very similar, but Britannia's cafeteria has a better servery layout than Venrura, and they have similar main entertainment venues.

Been on both Ventura and Britannia. I would choose Ventura because I like her promenade deck and also she has a covered pool area if you're in cooler parts and like a swim. Also her balcony cabins are larger (especially C deck). Did not like Britannia at all......mainly because no prom deck and balconies were much smaller and also the decor of the ship was not to my liking. Went on her to the caribbean in Jan 2016 and trying to get a sunbed on sea days was a nightmare. My very favourite ship is Azura which I love!!!!! :D:D

Ohh interesting. We are looking at the Italian med, not really a massive balcony lover to be honest.

I'd say we are more foodies and wondering around the ship.

Will check out azura also

Thanks

If balcony is not an important factor for you then I recommend Britannia. The dining venues are physically better in my view, especially the buffet which has a better layout than Ventura/Azura. Also, as you like wandering around the ship, you will have more wandering to do on a slightly bigger ship.

As you are foodies, I recommend you try the Select dining venues. Epicurean is excellent for a special evening. Sindhu very good and you should look out for the days when they offer Nashta for lunch. Glasshouse is also very enjoyable. I am not a lover of the Beach House since they stopped offering their French Onion soup.

If you haven't already found them, here are the sample menus on the P&O website https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/example_menu

If balcony is not an important factor for you then I recommend Britannia. The dining venues are physically better in my view, especially the buffet which has a better layout than Ventura/Azura. Also, as you like wandering around the ship, you will have more wandering to do on a slightly bigger ship.

As you are foodies, I recommend you try the Select dining venues. Epicurean is excellent for a special evening. Sindhu very good and you should look out for the days when they offer Nashta for lunch. Glasshouse is also very enjoyable. I am not a lover of the Beach House since they stopped offering their French Onion soup.

If you haven't already found them, here are the sample menus on the P&O website https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/example_menu

I would agree with all this. Personally we like Ventura and love Britannia and we prefer the décor of Britannia. We actually particularly like the atrium as its a lovely large well laid out area. The Crystal Room is great for dancing and the Limelight Club is a nice addition. What I don't like about the Britannia are the small balconies and the soft seating areas around the pool.

Hhmmmm...Britannia has the edge for me but the lack of a proper prom deck at the same level as all the bars etc is a definite drawback. Beautiful ship though,,lots of outdoor space which is good for sea days. Azura still my favourite though :D seems to be more of a fun atmosphere on Ventura.

For us there is no dilemma. Its Britannia all the way. We had a delux cabin on Ventura D deck last year. We were very disappointed with the shabbiness of the cabin. The carpet was heavily marked, the sofa bed sagging and seen better days, the décor dated and don't get me going on the old fashioned bathroom with a plastic shower curtain. Although the size of the cabin was reasonable. Some of the main areas were quite nice but other areas definitely showing signs of wear. The buffet design was awful to navigate. There was no chance to have a quick look at what you wanted to eat then double back. The queues were long and people tended the hog the dining seats especially in bad weather and it was often a struggle to find a table. The covered pool was reminiscent of a down market public bath. By contrast we like the modern boutique style of Britannia. We have cruised in both deluxe cabins with a sofa bed and a suite. Obviously its relatively new. The bathroom area in the deluxe cabin was compact but modern with a decent sized shower and glass screen. The suite bathroom was amazing. Yes the balconies are narrower than the Ventura but we tend to go up on deck when there's no sun on that particular side so we don't use them all the time. The balconies on the aft are twice as deep. We have booked on of these for April. The buffet is much better planned in my opinion and there seems to be more seating. The adults pool is lovely at the front of the ship and its large enough to get away from the crowds. Saying this we did feel that the Ventura had a lovely friendly "feel" to her. We have crossed the Bay in both ships and found the Britannia travelled much better. I only have Princess to compare them to and we like P and O. Would we go on Ventura again? No thanks but we will be going on Britannia for the fourth time shortly.

Pros and cons for both.

Britannia wins for modernity, select dining venues, cabin furnishings, variety of facilities and having a Crows Nest. Negatives are no promenade deck, tiny lifts and the high proportion of first time cruisers, some of whom are, shall we say, not what you might have seen on a P&O ship in days gone by (don't shoot the messenger - all you regulars know it's true)! Also, being a vast size, it only does the major ports and regularly gets bumped out of smaller ones or is forced to tender when others can dock.

Ventura wins for having a proper promenade deck, better balconies and a more ship like feel. But it doesn't have a Crows Nest (which is criminal) and is not quite as opulent as Britannia.

I would go on itineraries and, if you can, do one this year and the other next year!

You will never get a consensus view on this. We didn't like Azura but did like Ventura!

• 2 weeks later...

Some pros and cons between the two we noted.

I love strolling around the promenade deck and listen the waves.. Ventura has one that goes all the way around the ship. Britannia has a large, for want of a better word, balcony outside the coffee shop. It has something it calls a promenade up at the top, but it's not the same.

In inclement weather Ventura can cover a swimming pool.

Ventura has an adult only pool. Britannia brochures say that it has, but in practice if you go during school holidays it will be packed with kids. If you report it to reception they say that it's not adults only, it's just a "quiet area".

Many have said that Britannia balconies are smaller. They are. However, the pro is that because there are so many balconies and no window only cabins, the difference in price between inside and balcony is nowhere near as much as on Ventura.

Ventura's main theatre is better laid out. Britannia's does not have raked seating on every row. You have a few rows on the level, then a step up and another few rows on the level, another step up and so on. Means that shorties get a worse deal if you are not in the front section of these rows (my wife is 4'10" so we know about that)

Ventura's atrium has character. Britannia's looks like a shopping mall.

Britannia's buffet is less bad than Ventura's. Better laid out and some of the food is edible.

Britannia has the grab and go station - sandwiches, salads and desserts. Useful to take off boat if you are taking a long walk on shore and want to take a packed lunch.

The TV in the Britannia cabin is excellent. I don't go on holiday to watch telly, but last time we had a sulky teen who spent ages in the cabin, and loved all the movies and TV shows she could chose from. The system works well, is quick and the picture quality is great.

I've heard lots of complaints about the lifts and lack of stairs in the centre of Britannia. Personally it did not bother us too much. We are still pretty active and the walking is not a problem. Plus if you've sailed on Royal Caribbean ships with the Royal Promenade you have no centre stairs or lifts on them, so you are used to it.