Panama Canal

ne1travel

I had posted a little while back. We've only cruised twice and both with Princess. Now that the balcony no-smoking has taken effect we are very interested in HAL. (It's what we prefer)

There is a Panama Canal 16 day cruise we are looking at Nov '17. It ends in San Diego which is perfect as our daughter lives there.

Princess has the Sanctuary, just wondering what HAL has that is similar. Or is the Promenade Deck quiet enough with the padded loungers.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had posted a little while back. We've only cruised twice and both with Princess. Now that the balcony no-smoking has taken effect we are very interested in HAL. (It's what we prefer)

There is a Panama Canal 16 day cruise we are looking at Nov '17. It ends in San Diego which is perfect as our daughter lives there.

Princess has the Sanctuary, just wondering what HAL has that is similar. Or is the Promenade Deck quiet enough with the padded loungers.

Thanks

A little reading around the board would reveal there are Retreat cabanas on the larger, newer ships.

One of the wonderful things about HAL is the ability to find peace and quiet. On our only Princess cruise, we had to take refuge on our tiny balcony to avoid all the canned music in public areas, which was generally loud. On HAL, the Lido pool area is usually pretty quiet, unless they're doing a special lunch with a band playing. Promenade deck is always quiet. And there are other small, quiet deck areas, which vary from ship to ship.

There's an aft pool on most ships, and that has seemed quiet the few times I've checked it out. But since you commented on the change in balcony smoking rules, I want to warn you that the smoking area is on one side of the aft pool. See the last few pages of the smoking thread if you want to know more about smoking on HAL. We aren't supposed to carry that discussion onto other threads.

I had to do some research to try to find out what ship you might be on... but it looks like from the deck plans that Zuiderdam has The Retreat on Sports deck, and the Westerdam will get it after changes due in April 2017.

You can search this forum for "The Retreat" and learn more. I have no comment because I've never used it. Happy planning, m--

I had to do some research to try to find out what ship you might be on... but it looks like from the deck plans that Zuiderdam has The Retreat on Sports deck, and the Westerdam will get it after changes due in April 2017.

You can search this forum for "The Retreat" and learn more. I have no comment because I've never used it. Happy planning, m--

Oh, yes the Westerdam

Thanks for the info

Both the Westerdam (Nov 8) and the Oosterdam (Nov 17) will have the Retreat cabanas. We were just on the Oosterdam last month, and liked the recent refurbishment results. The O is a bit cheaper than the W because it is one day shorter (one port is eliminated), and since it stops in Cabo San Lucas that would be my recommendation. :)

RMLincoln: the Zuiderdam Sunfarer doesn't do the complete canal and end in San Diego.

Edited by jtl513