Multiple Family/Room Gratuity Conundrum

MissKIA

We have 16 people booked on our upcoming cruise with 6 different rooms. One of the families has 4 kids, so two of the kids are staying in rooms with other family members. The two kids who are in other rooms will have charging privileges under their parents room/account, not the family members whose room the are staying in. Now, my question is, would those children's gratuities be charged to the room the are staying in or to the account they are allowed to charge to? I was going to put cruise cash assigned to the kids in the other rooms to cover their gratuities, but would that cruise cash then be credited to their room instead of towards the account that is paying for her? Ugh I hope this makes sense. :o

I realize now that we could have avoided all of this confusion if we had just opted to prepay the gratuities, but we did not, so now we have to figure this out. I would call Carnival and ask to change the gratuities to prepay, but I have read of people who have done that and then end up being charged twice, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Hopefully someone here can help!

Really doesn't matter which CABIN they are in...whoever's account the kids are linked to will be who pays the gratuity.

How close are the cabins? It may be that the same attendant services both, so it really won't make a difference!

Wait until you're on the ship, see who is where, and if there are different attendants, you can go to customer service and get it straightened out. Don't do it now...what and see how it plays out!

Edited by cb at sea

Really doesn't matter which CABIN they are in...whoever's account the kids are linked to will be who pays the gratuity.

How close are the cabins? It may be that the same attendant services both, so it really won't make a difference!

Wait until you're on the ship, see who is where, and if there are different attendants, you can go to customer service and get it straightened out. Don't do it now...what and see how it plays out!

Because I'm worried about who is going to get charged, not who gets the gratuities. Her Aunt and Uncle shouldn't have to pay for her gratuities. And I'm worried that if we put cruise cash in her name that will be credited to their room, not her gratuities that her parents will be paying for.

Edited by MissKIA

we always prepay, no worries and never charged twice.

I have also prepaid and never had any problems. But we didn't choose to pre pay when we booked and my concern is people who have added on pre paying after the fact who have had issues with being double charged.

You won't get charged twice. I prepay all the time. Just call and have them add them now and be done with it then have them send you an invoice. It will also show the breakdown under your booking when you go to print general information. You can take a copy of that with you in case there is a mix up, but in all my cruises I never experienced an issue.

You won't get charged twice. I prepay all the time. Just call and have them add them now and be done with it then have them send you an invoice. It will also show the breakdown under your booking when you go to print general information. You can take a copy of that with you in case there is a mix up, but in all my cruises I never experienced an issue.

I can try that, but can I only set it up to only prepay for her and not her Aunt and Uncle?

When the accounts are set up the Aunt and Uncle do not let the Niece have charging privileges. The parents will have her on theirs. It's set up under the (IIRC the terminology) 'another cabin' button.

We did this a few years ago when DD was sharing a cabin with a friend in a group cruise. All of DD's charges went on our account.

Edited by SadieN

When the accounts are set up the Aunt and Uncle do not let the Niece have charging privileges. The parents will have her on theirs.

We did this a few years ago when DD was sharing a cabin with a friend in a group cruise. All of DD's charges went on our account.

Great, thank you! That's what I was hoping. I knew there would be someone on here who would has dealt with the same issue. :)

Edited by MissKIA

I have also prepaid and never had any problems. But we didn't choose to pre pay when we booked and my concern is people who have added on pre paying after the fact who have had issues with being double charged.

I would call and prepay once the cruise is paid off, which you can do without issue. I have never heard of anyone being double charged. It can be fixed at guest services if that happens. Also, rooms that are side by side doesn't guarantee that they will have the same room steward. We had side by side rooms last year and had 2 different stewards.

Either way, the charges will be placed to the room where the kids are booked. Not where they're charging privileges may be. Moving that won't impact gratuities.

2 of our kids roomed with my parents but was under my sign & sail account and their grats was charged to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you! I actually just called and spoke to someone and this is what he told me as well, so it's all good. Thanks for your help everyone!

When you prepay *sometimes* the charges will show up then a credit is posted. It's an accounting thing. Nothing to worry about if the bottom line is zero.

Have them bring any and all paperwork. This will guarantee that everything will be fine. (Murphy's Law)

When you prepay *sometimes* the charges will show up then a credit is posted. It's an accounting thing. Nothing to worry about if the bottom line is zero.

Have them bring any and all paperwork. This will guarantee that everything will be fine. (Murphy's Law)

I have never seen that for gratuities, but have for the Platinum laundry where they credit the account $45.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I can try that, but can I only set it up to only prepay for her and not her Aunt and Uncle?

no everyone in the cabin needs to be on the same

I think for groups its easier just to prepay after final payment

I have always prepaid and never charged twice

no everyone in the cabin needs to be on the same

I think for groups its easier just to prepay after final payment

I have always prepaid and never charged twice

22 sailings and counting across all the major lines, and have never been double charged once I've prepaid the gratuities.

I would take that worry off the table, call and prepay them. It also means one less charge to come home to at the end of the trip.

22 sailings and counting across all the major lines, and have never been double charged once I've prepaid the gratuities.

I would take that worry off the table, call and prepay them. It also means one less charge to come home to at the end of the trip.

I did call and prepay for ours yesterday, but I can't prepay for hers cause I don't want to have to pay for Aunt and Uncle too. ;) I did speak to the rep about it though and was told hers would be charged to the account she is able to charge to, which will be her parents, not her Aunt and Uncle's, so it's all good.