Four day cruise or Seven day cruise

Beckyb3

My husband and two daughters (5 and 3) and I are planning on going on a Disney cruise. We are debating on a four night or seven night cruise. None of us have been on a Disney cruise. I have been on two RCI cruises. I am not crazy about cruising because I get a bit seasick and because I always feel a bit trapped and crowded. That being said I am excited to try a Disney cruise and I think it could be different with kiddos. We are debating doing the four night cruise and spending four nights at the four seasons in Orlando hanging by the pool (no parks as we are taking a break from the parks) or doing a seven night cruise. My instinct is to do four and four but popular opinion seems to be that four nights isn't enough for a first cruise. Thoughts?

We just got back from the Wonder, our first Disney cruise. While I can't speak to the larger ships we really enjoyed a smaller ship (we sail often, usually on Princess and on much larger ships). I never felt like the ship was crowded while onboard.

IMO your kids are the perfect age for a Disney Cruise as I think they will get the most of of the kids programming.

There is a lot to experience onboard and 4 nights really isn't enough to get it all done if that's your goal.

Try and stay with Caribbean itineraries vs west coast itineraries as they tend to be calmer waters.

Have you ever tried acupuncture for your motion sickness? My wife had terrible motion sickness but one acupuncture treatment onboard and she almost has no issues with it now.

For us 7 days is our minimum. We feel that even on a 7 day cruise we are just getting relaxed about day 4-5. A 4 day in our minds is too short, but for others that's their sweet spot.

My husband and two daughters (5 and 3) and I are planning on going on a Disney cruise. We are debating on a four night or seven night cruise. None of us have been on a Disney cruise. I have been on two RCI cruises. I am not crazy about cruising because I get a bit seasick and because I always feel a bit trapped and crowded. That being said I am excited to try a Disney cruise and I think it could be different with kiddos. We are debating doing the four night cruise and spending four nights at the four seasons in Orlando hanging by the pool (no parks as we are taking a break from the parks) or doing a seven night cruise. My instinct is to do four and four but popular opinion seems to be that four nights isn't enough for a first cruise. Thoughts?

I think your option of a 4 night cruise would give you a "snapshot" of what a longer cruise could be, but it will in all honesty be a rushed experience in comparison to a 7 night cruise.

There are experiences and events they can only offer due to a longer cruise, plus they also have more exotic ports than just Castaway and Nassau.

I think you should plunge (pun intended! :p ) for a 7 night cruise on DCL and see how you find being immersed in a DCL cruise, and that a 4 night would or could be detrimental to your opinion as you are so rushed and do not get enough time to settle into your home at sea.

ex techie

We just got back from the Wonder, our first Disney cruise. While I can't speak to the larger ships we really enjoyed a smaller ship (we sail often, usually on Princess and on much larger ships). I never felt like the ship was crowded while onboard.

IMO your kids are the perfect age for a Disney Cruise as I think they will get the most of of the kids programming.

There is a lot to experience onboard and 4 nights really isn't enough to get it all done if that's your goal.

Try and stay with Caribbean itineraries vs west coast itineraries as they tend to be calmer waters.

Have you ever tried acupuncture for your motion sickness? My wife had terrible motion sickness but one acupuncture treatment onboard and she almost has no issues with it now.

For us 7 days is our minimum. We feel that even on a 7 day cruise we are just getting relaxed about day 4-5. A 4 day in our minds is too short, but for others that's their sweet spot.

+1

ex techie

Hi. I would go for the 7 night as you can still lazy around the pool but on the ship have the option for the kids to go to the Oceaneers club and lab. We just done a 7 night then a week later done a 3 night just to try the bigger class. IMHO the 3 night way to short as really only 2 days to experience anything so a 4 night I think would still be to short.

Hi. I would go for the 7 night as you can still lazy around the pool but on the ship have the option for the kids to go to the Oceaneers club and lab. We just done a 7 night then a week later done a 3 night just to try the bigger class. IMHO the 3 night way to short as really only 2 days to experience anything so a 4 night I think would still be to short.

+1!

ex techie

A 3 night cruise is only 2 1/2 days on board--way too short for me.

4 nights is my minimum, and even that is too short. DCL does try to incorporate their most popular programs into these cruises, but they can't present everything and no guest can do everything that is presented...so you don't get any relaxation time when trying to do it all. And reservations for the most popular things are at a premium simply due to time constraints.

On a 7 night cruise, you have time to chill out and relax. You are usually able to get a reservation for anything you wish, in part because activities that require a reservation are repeated over the 7 days but guests are limited to one reservation per cabin. For example, there are typically 2 Princess Gatherings, allowing twice as many guests to participate as on a 4 night cruise. This gives DCL fewer disappointed guests and gives you a much better chance of getting what you want.

In most cases, the ports on 7 night cruises are far superior also.

If it helps you feel more secure, I get horribly motion sick on park rides, small boats, and even the back seats of cars. The DCL ships don't bother me at all. There is complimentary seasick med available at the medical center and guest services if needed.

Happy cruising, whatever you choose!

Edited by moki'smommy

I don't think with kids your age that you need to be experience "everything" in order to have a good time. Sometimes, less is more.

Years ago we took a 4 night cruise on the Wonder and had a great time. We followed that with 3 days in WDW.

We never felt rushed or it was too short.

You'll enjoy either.

That brings up another point. When doing a land/sea combo (whether at WDW or elsewhere for the land portion), I highly recommend doing the land first. The most important reason is the possibility of lost luggage or airline delays. We've experienced both, and I'd much rather miss a portion of a land vacation than be catching up with the ship. True, Disney has changed the luggage system in a way that eliminates some of the luggage issues, but that doesn't help if your bag is sitting at your transfer airport!

The second reason is that land time in the parks is rather hectic while time on the ship is much more relaxing. In the parks, Mom is always "on duty," making sure that everyone has something to eat that they like and getting to do at least some of the things they wanted to experience. On the ships this is easy--each person can basically choose for themselves. Yes, mom still chooses for the youngest ones, but it is so much easier and more relaxing than on land!

That brings up another point. When doing a land/sea combo (whether at WDW or elsewhere for the land portion)' date=' I highly recommend doing the land first. The most important reason is the possibility of lost luggage or airline delays. We've experienced both, and I'd much rather miss a portion of a land vacation than be catching up with the ship. True, Disney has changed the luggage system in a way that eliminates some of the luggage issues, but that doesn't help if your bag is sitting at your transfer airport!

The second reason is that land time in the parks is rather hectic while time on the ship is much more relaxing. In the parks, Mom is always "on duty," making sure that everyone has something to eat that they like and getting to do at least some of the things they wanted to experience. On the ships this is easy--each person can basically choose for themselves. Yes, mom still chooses for the youngest ones, but it is so much easier and more relaxing than on land![/quote']

OP mentions that they won't be visiting the parks.

The advantage of doing the 7 night cruise is you give yourself extra packing and unpacking if you do a cruise/land vacation.

Thanks everybody for the input. I booked the seven night. We decided we wanted to make sure we had enough time to check everything out without feeling rushed. I will definitely be trying the acupuncture for motion sickness. I love acupuncture. Now we just need to figure out what shore excursions to do. Can't wait!

Good decision--enjoy.

Read thru the excursions for your ports and if you have any questions, just ask. If you are visiting Grand Cayman, the turtle farm is great for kids. You can do it thru Boatswain's directly (they provide transportation), as part of an island tour (like with Captain Marvin's), or thru DCL. Compare cost based on kid ages, etc.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks everybody for the input. I booked the seven night. We decided we wanted to make sure we had enough time to check everything out without feeling rushed. I will definitely be trying the acupuncture for motion sickness. I love acupuncture. Now we just need to figure out what shore excursions to do. Can't wait!

I know you made your mind up(good choice), but I will give my opinion for others.

Been on 3-15 nights DCL.

The best thing about the 7 night is you will see a magic show and a comedian act on the extra nights. Disney family friendly acts that everyone loves!

They will also do a Adult only(Disney friendly) show later at night. The family shows are almost always funnier because of the jokes and tricks played on the kids and they have no clue!

Motion sickness! Cost like $5-8 and works GREAT! Been using it on Daughter starting at age 3 and will use it in a couple weeks at the parks and on the ship. Works for car rides. Works after people don't feel well. Have used it on many table mates who passed out taken meds(me included before I found this).

https://motioneaze.com/

Edited by Lionkingrichard

try sea bands - they work for me, my mom, my daughter, my sister, my son in law (my husband and son don't get sea sick).

according to an article i saw in a medical journal, they help over 60% of those who try them...not just with seasickness, but motion sickness on land as well as morning sickness in pregnant women....

they work based on acupressure....

Being your first Disney cruise, I would go for 7 nights. I have been on all four ships and the larger ships do have a noticeably smoother ride. From the dozens of reviews I have read, their kids program is top notch and your kids will have a great time. (I don't have kids) That said, more kid play time also means more adult choices for bars to relax in. The Fantasy is my favorite ship, I'd never go back to the smaller ships again.

. The Fantasy is my favorite ship, I'd never go back to the smaller ships again.

That's why we have lots of people and lots of opinions on the boards. I've been on the Fantasy and the Magic is my favorite. Yes, I might go on the Fantasy again in the right situation...but if I were choosing, my top selection would be the Magic (again, must look at the specific cruise).