Norovirus on Jewel?

gvictora1

We will be boarding the Jewel of the Seas on Sunday. We just got an email that due to a "gastrointestinal illness" boarding would be delayed so they could clean the ship. I was just wondering if anyone was onboard now and could tell us how bad it is? Or, just any real world info would be appreciated. Thanks!

We will be boarding the Jewel of the Seas on Sunday. We just got an email that due to a "gastrointestinal illness" boarding would be delayed so they could clean the ship. I was just wondering if anyone was onboard now and could tell us how bad it is? Or, just any real world info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just got off the Jewel of the Seas last Sunday. We didn't have a problem nor did we hear that anyone else did.

We disembarked Jewel on Sunday (1/22) and walked off with someone that said he had been up all night with what sounded like gastrointestinal illness symptoms. I actually had to carry some of his hand luggage off the ship for him (didn't know him) as he was very weak. His wife accused him of eating too much.

We didn't hear anything else about noro on our cruise so something must have happened this week.

Edited by entrepreneur83

I learned something about NORO in November.

I was set to sail on the allure and the day before I sailed I received a similar email to what you received stating that boarding would be delayed due to "gastro" on the ship. I automatically assumed Large outbreak...

Once on the ship I was talking to some ship personnel (that I knew and trusted). They explained to me that There had only been something like 50 cases reported.. What triggered the Warning was that all of the cases happened within a period of something like five hours. (I had always assumed it had to be x % of the ships passengers, but as it turned out in this case it was more about # of cases in short period of time.)

That being said, those few of cases could have just as easily been food poisoning as opposed to NORO. but you may never know

I was happy that they delayed boarding, and truthfully It was probably the cleanest my room had been in a long time. Additionally all week on the ship they crew was CONSTANTLY cleaning everything. I was very very impressed with how they handled the situation.

I can not speak directly to the Jewel incident, however I thought it was important to share this information as I am sure there are tons of people (like myself) that assumed there were hundreds of sick people on board which turned out to not be the case.

onboard Jewel now in Grenada---we are having some cases---not a major outbreak---extra cleaning on ship daily--handrails, elevator buttons etc.---capt made an announcement yesterday about extra hand washing etc.---has not seemed to be involving a very large group---no real chatter aboard about it

hope this helps

Paul

onboard Jewel now in Grenada---we are having some cases---not a major outbreak---extra cleaning on ship daily--handrails, elevator buttons etc.---capt made an announcement yesterday about extra hand washing etc.---has not seemed to be involving a very large group---no real chatter aboard about it

hope this helps

Paul

Thanks for the update. Now get off of the computer and go have some fun. ;o)

hope this helps

Paul

Thank you for your response. That makes me feel much better about things. Have a great cruise!

So, I'm onboard the Jewel and just remembered I promised to get back on and report. It's Tuesday, we're in St Kitts (taking a day off to just lay around because I deserve it!). Everything seems normal. We're having a great time. No worries! (so far!) :)