Strange interaction with TA, normal?

Sunshine2U

We're booked on our first MSC cruise in a couple of months and I have set in my head when the final payment is due. We booked using an online TA because they had a good discount at the time of booking.

I recently received an email from the TA letting me know MSC has penalties starting before the final payment date. I had no idea what he was saying so I shot back an email asking for more info and he basically repeated the initial message. So I called MSC and learned that there is a penalty if you cancel within 90 (???) days of sailing, even though final payment is due at a later date.

No problem, we aren't cancelling. But I am left wondering about the interaction with the TA. Was he being super nice and giving me a clandestine warning to cancel now or forever hold my peace; or was he being a jerk by not answering my question and providing info about the cancellation policy? (I looked through the information I received at booking. It's not to say it wasn't provided, but it's not easy to locate if it's there.)

We're booked on our first MSC cruise in a couple of months and I have set in my head when the final payment is due. We booked using an online TA because they had a good discount at the time of booking.

I recently received an email from the TA letting me know MSC has penalties starting before the final payment date. I had no idea what he was saying so I shot back an email asking for more info and he basically repeated the initial message. So I called MSC and learned that there is a penalty if you cancel within 90 (???) days of sailing, even though final payment is due at a later date.

No problem, we aren't cancelling. But I am left wondering about the interaction with the TA. Was he being super nice and giving me a clandestine warning to cancel now or forever hold my peace; or was he being a jerk by not answering my question and providing info about the cancellation policy? (I looked through the information I received at booking. It's not to say it wasn't provided, but it's not easy to locate if it's there.)

There are NO penalties if you cancel before final payment.

Check the MSC website in the country where you booked your cruise. The payment and cancellation schedules are explained there, in the booking terms and conditions. For US bookings, final payment is due 60 days before sailing. The cancellation penalties kick in before that, however, which catches many people by surprise, because like riclop above, they assume incorrectly that everything is 100% refundable up until final payment.

I think the OP's TA was just trying to give them a heads up that their booking was entering the penalty period, even though final payment was not yet due. They have probably had customers that lost their deposits in the past (and blamed it on the TA for not warning them).

I was actually caught off guard by this back in October. I had a conflict and was going to cancel my cruise on MSC. I was thinking, like everyone else, that if final payment hadn't come yet I would be able to cancel without losing any money. Not so. Cancellation penalties kick in before final payment and I would have lost my deposit if I had cancelled. I think this was around the 89 day mark.

There are NO penalties if you cancel before final payment.

this is incorrect.

I was going to cancel my Dec 18th cruise a few days before final payment and was told if I cancelled, I would lose my deposit. When I looked up they cancellation T & C;s I found out that my TA was correct and penalty phase starts before final payment.

Lois

:eek:There most definitely are penalties before final payment. I currently have a large group on the Divina. Our final payment was for Jan 10, 2017 but penalties started 12/25/2016. Please make sure you are aware of that to avoid losing money if you are planning on cancelling.:eek:

I think the OP's TA was just trying to give them a heads up that their booking was entering the penalty period, even though final payment was not yet due. They have probably had customers that lost their deposits in the past (and blamed it on the TA for not warning them).

I agree. No secret messages and not being a jerk. Sounds to me like the TA was being proactive and doing a good job.