Air New Zealand baggage and carry-on limits

Just now learning that Air New Zealand has a limit of one 50# bag even on overseas travel. The second bag is $100 extra! I'm top of that, learned that ANZ has a 15 pound weight limit for carry-on bags, as well as a limit on size that is somewhat different from US airlines. Does anyone have experience with ANZ and these limits? How strict are they with carry-on baggage? My camera bag alone is close to 10 pounds! Will they really weigh the carry-ons?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We noted the 5 lb. difference over the 20 lb. limit for carry-on that we have experienced in overseas travel with other airlines. Think the 50 lb. limit is about right for the checked bag. Spending time taking things out of carry-on and re-weighing. We will be away for 2 months on this trip and packing was already challenging. Thinking about buying a new, lighter carry-on as my current one EMPTY weighs over half allowable 15 lbs limit.:eek:

Air New Zealand have a normal 23kg limit on checked bags and a 7kg limit on cabin bags. The size of the cabin bags conforms with the normal international standards. Business class and first class passengers have increased allowances. Travel to and through the USA have different conditions. Check out the Air New Zealand website for full details. How strict are they? Like most airlines cabin baggage can be inconsistent. One day you may get stopped at the aircraft door and have to check in excess cabin baggage other days you wont be. This is a risk you run. If your checked baggage is over your allowance be prepared to be charged the going rate which can be quite expensive.

All the details and penalties where appropriate can be found on the airline's website

OP - as well as the 7KG carry on bag, you are allowed to take one smaller item on board, such as a camera or a handbag, so you don't need to worry about eth weight of your camera. Carry it on as a separate item.

We noted the 5 lb. difference over the 20 lb. limit for carry-on that we have experienced in overseas travel with other airlines. Think the 50 lb. limit is about right for the checked bag. Spending time taking things out of carry-on and re-weighing. We will be away for 2 months on this trip and packing was already challenging. Thinking about buying a new, lighter carry-on as my current one EMPTY weighs over half allowable 15 lbs limit.:eek:

Exactly what we are looking at today!

Air New Zealand have a normal 23kg limit on checked bags and a 7kg limit on cabin bags. The size of the cabin bags conforms with the normal international standards. Business class and first class passengers have increased allowances. Travel to and through the USA have different conditions. Check out the Air New Zealand website for full details. How strict are they? Like most airlines cabin baggage can be inconsistent. One day you may get stopped at the aircraft door and have to check in excess cabin baggage other days you wont be. This is a risk you run. If your checked baggage is over your allowance be prepared to be charged the going rate which can be quite expensive.

All the details and penalties where appropriate can be found on the airline's website

At AKL airport, just before immigration, they have had "checkers" calling some people over to check carry on weight and size.

I assume that still happens.

Brisbane International airport for a number of years now has had someone just before security checking the weight of carry on baggage

OP - as well as the 7KG carry on bag, you are allowed to take one smaller item on board, such as a camera or a handbag, so you don't need to worry about eth weight of your camera. Carry it on as a separate item.

Thanks to all! Very helpful.

I bought the lightest carry-on bag I could find. Between the two orf us we have two carry-on bags, one computer bag (with two laptops and electrical leads etc) and a large 'handbag'. The handbag is never weighed. Passengers are allowed to have several other items - a book, a coat, a camera. If your bag is going to be weighed, just take out these items to reduce the weight.

As someone else said, on flights to and from the US, airlines usually allow two normal large suitcases (23 kg maximum). When you look at the Air NZ website on luggage allowances, check on what is allowed to and from the US.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I bought the lightest carry-on bag I could find. Between the two orf us we have two carry-on bags, one computer bag (with two laptops and electrical leads etc) and a large 'handbag'. The handbag is never weighed. Passengers are allowed to have several other items - a book, a coat, a camera. If your bag is going to be weighed, just take out these items to reduce the weight.

As someone else said, on flights to and from the US, airlines usually allow two normal large suitcases (23 kg maximum). When you look at the Air NZ website on luggage allowances, check on what is allowed to and from the US.

Thanks for the info. For to/from US one 50# bag is allowed unless in First or Business class.

They also seem to have a "seat-only" fare that probably doesn't allow any carry-on! :-O

Thanks for the info. For to/from US one 50# bag is allowed unless in First or Business class.

They also seem to have a "seat-only" fare that probably doesn't allow any carry-on! :-O

Just for clarification.

NZ does not have First class.

They have Premium Economy & Business.

Seat-only fare options are for short haul only; eg Aussie or Pacific Islands, or indeed domestic.

These are carry on only. Checked bag is extra.

Long haul, eg USA are always standard seat with a checked bag and meals included.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

Some people carry on masses of luggage.

One flight we were on from Sydney to Christchurch, many people had large carry on bags that were far too big to fit into the overhead lockers, and left the bags in the aisle.

The flight was delayed while cabin crew labelled all this luggage, then removed it from the cabin.