First Time sailing Norwegian

RunyanOnDaBeach

I will also be on that same sailing as my first NCL cruise. I've only done carnival, but I am excited to try something new. There will be 10 of us for my inlaws anniversy.

We also have ten in our group! The Ultimate Drink Package is what made us try out Norwegian! I'm very excited. It just seems like shows and dinners are booked differently on NCL, but I'm sure we will figure it all out!

We also have ten in our group! The Ultimate Drink Package is what made us try out Norwegian! I'm very excited. It just seems like shows and dinners are booked differently on NCL, but I'm sure we will figure it all out!

Absolutely. My FIL booked it when they offered UDP with interiors and they are paying so I can't complain about the interior. He paid less person for the total cruise cost than just the UDP would've cost. Booking shows and stuff is different for sure but we are more of a bar crawl group! Excited to not having the 15 drink limit like on carnival!

Absolutely. My FIL booked it when they offered UDP with interiors and they are paying so I can't complain about the interior. He paid less person for the total cruise cost than just the UDP would've cost. Booking shows and stuff is different for sure but we are more of a bar crawl group! Excited to not having the 15 drink limit like on carnival!

We booked the interior too. We did a quick 4 night recently and literally only slept in our room, when vacationing with a group I think the room is the least important part. My husband and I are also bar crawl people, but I was hoping to have info for the rest of my group. I try to be organized, haha!

And the 15 drink limit is fine for me, but my husband can drink that for breakfast ;) Hope to see you on board!

Just to avoid any confusion for the future, the UDP is the dining package (actually, it's the SDP now, but that's just another complication).

The beverage package is the UBP.

Thank you, had a brain fart and had UBP typed out but remember seeing others corrected and over thought which was the right one.

We did a b2b on the Epic last month. We have mostly sailed Carnival and Princess but decided to try NCL after a 10 year hiatus. The UBP did it for us, and it was great.

Fell in love with the Epic! Great ship! Going on a b2b again next year on the Epic.:D

When you get on the ship, make sure and make your reservations for any comedy shows or tender tickets that you need. This can be done in your cabin, on the tv. If you wait until Sat. night like we did the first week, then all of the comedy shows will be booked. Also, if you don't pick your tender time early then you might not get off of the ship until after 11am. We were off at 8am but our friends did not get off until after 11.

O'Sheehans has a Prime Rib night which is awesome, the prime rib is cooked to perfection and about 1 inch thick. Also, they have a Rib Night, those were the best ribs I have ever eaten out! They are the type that melt in your melt and fall off of the bone!

The Beatles imitator band plays in the Cavern but they also play in the theater on the first night. Catch them there, then you don't have to fight the crowd in the Cavern Club. They were really good.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

We did a b2b on the Epic last month. We have mostly sailed Carnival and Princess but decided to try NCL after a 10 year hiatus. The UBP did it for us, and it was great.

Fell in love with the Epic! Great ship! Going on a b2b again next year on the Epic.:D

When you get on the ship, make sure and make your reservations for any comedy shows or tender tickets that you need. This can be done in your cabin, on the tv. If you wait until Sat. night like we did the first week, then all of the comedy shows will be booked. Also, if you don't pick your tender time early then you might not get off of the ship until after 11am. We were off at 8am but our friends did not get off until after 11.

O'Sheehans has a Prime Rib night which is awesome, the prime rib is cooked to perfection and about 1 inch thick. Also, they have a Rib Night, those were the best ribs I have ever eaten out! They are the type that melt in your melt and fall off of the bone!

The Beatles imitator band plays in the Cavern but they also play in the theater on the first night. Catch them there, then you don't have to fight the crowd in the Cavern Club. They were really good.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Ah thanks so much! O'Sheehans is one of the complimentary restaurants correct?

Our first NCL holiday was on the Epic and we found her comparable to a resort - the lido is quite loud and it may be hard to find a quiet area unless like us you have a balcony. Apart from this she's still a wonderful ship and we had a great holiday. I can't really comment on the service anymore as we went 5 1/2 years ago! For a first cruise though the Epic's great.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you will find some interesting differences on Epic. I would reserve the shows before you embark. They are totally different than CCL shows. If you have specific dining times in mind, book those also. It is a pain standing in line when you board to do the above, and the most popular times can be taken by the Haven guests very quickly.

We love Howl at the Moon - the dueling piano bar. The piano players are usually really fun, and we have spent many an evening there.

You will find the buffet very different also. Make sure you grab a dessert crepe one evening - they are delicious! They also have 6-8 flavors of hard ice-cream you can chose from, with several sprinkles/toppings. (they serve you -not like CCL where you get it from a machine.)

We swore we would never pay for dining on a cruise ship. Well, we love the restaurants on NCL. On Epic, Cagney's steakhouse is great. Le Bistro, La Cucina, Teppanyaki and Moderno are all good. We love grabbing munchies at O'Sheehans, which is open 24/7.

The ship is large, but easy to navigate. If you want a quiet area, spice h20 is a nice adult area, but fills quickly on most cruises. However, there are many areas on deck to find lounges if you don't want to be "in the middle of the action."

Change is good! We are taking #21 on CCL in a few weeks, and #6 on NCL in August. Enjoy the differences between the 2 lines.

I too am trying NCL Epic for the first time in March. The perks were jut too good to pass up. I switch back and forth between RCI and CCL, but really looking forward to trying the studio cabin on the Epic. Excited to try something new.v I have my dining and shows reserved already.

Any tips on embarkation?

It is not as laid back as carnival.

I've sailed mostly Carnival and one RCL. Any tips for a first timer on Norwegian? Will be on the Epic on Feb 18!

When looking at the carpet on the floor in the hallways - the fish always swim towards the front of the ship.

It is not as laid back as carnival.

I beg to differ. I have found that since NCL has instituted the free UBP as a perk NCL has definitely become more like Carnival. Carnival still has 2 elegant nights, while NCL doesn't. NCL has pool-side contests that are just as "silly" as CCL's - cannonball, sexy leg, etc. Each cruise line has it's good and maybe not-so-good!

I have a feeling we will like NCL and continue sailing with them, already looking at Alaskan Cruises. What is your favorite ship though ?

We have always enjoyed the Pearl and the Star. Just the right size for us. Easy to get around, no theater reservations required, many dining and drinking venues with great views.