Help Me Decide Trip For 2018

lagienomai

First off a little about me. Started cruising in 2015 first cruise on Sunshine. Now hooked on cruising we plan to cruise at least once a year. We are a family of five DH, Me, DS 13, DD11, and DS 9. That being said we cruised this past Oct. on the Magic. Also going on Vista this Nov. So now I am trying to book for 0ct/Nov of 2018. I like to visit new ports so will list where we have traveled.

Freeport, Nassau, Grand Turk, St.Thomas, San Juan, Amber Cove

Also we spent our honeymoon in Jamaica in 2001

Traveling to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts and St. Maarten this year

So on to my choices. Now when booking I always book 1 Oceanview as to fit all five because it is the cheaper option and we don't spend alot of time in our cabin. Expecially loved the deluxe on the Magic as it had 2 showers.

Total cost does include grats. I like to prepay and not have to worry about it later

Choice One On Sunshine leaving from PC

8 Day Southern Nov. 2 - Nov. 10 Total Cost 2,954

Ports- Aruba Curacao Grand Turk with 4 Sea Days

Choice Two On Breeze leaving from PC

7 Day Western Oct. 20 - Oct. 27 Total Cost 3,041

Ports- Cozumel Belize Mahogany Bay Costa Maya with 2 Sea Days

Choice Three On Dream leaving from New Orleans

7 Day Western Oct. 28 Nov. 4 Total Cost 2,781

Ports- Montego Bay Grand Cayman Cozumel with 3 Sea Days

Ships do not play a big part of the planning I mostly look at cost first, ports second and then ships. We have done Sunshine and didn't mind it but did like Magic better. Now I am leaning for Sunshine because its a Southern route, but then again we love New Orleans and haven't been in awhile, but it is a lot further drive than PC. We love the PC port have a routine with which hotel to stay when to leave for the port our parking etc. Kids wanted to do another Halloween cruise because we all had a blast but it is out of New Orleans. Also I am not sure of water temps that time of year in Cozumel Costa Maya etc. Although we did our honeymoon in Jamaica it was a week at a resort and would be one of the last 2 visit ports I would do with kids. Suggestions...

Edited by lagienomai

In my opinion, just from an itinerary standpoint option one is a clear winner! Aruba and Curacao especially are fantastic! Grand Turk is nothing special on land, but has some of the best diving and snorkeling anywhere. Southern Caribbean islands are just so much more charming and not as tourist-overrun. Curacao has so much to offer and is unique. And I'll take 8 days over 7 anytime.

In my opinion, just from an itinerary standpoint option one is a clear winner! Aruba and Curacao especially are fantastic! Grand Turk is nothing special on land, but has some of the best diving and snorkeling anywhere. Southern Caribbean islands are just so much more charming and not as tourist-overrun. Curacao has so much to offer and is unique. And I'll take 8 days over 7 anytime.

That is kinda what I am leaning towards. We love GT just there in November and will be back this November. We love to snorkel. My only thing is it isn't during Halloween and I did like having a fridge. I do agree 8 days is better than 7.

I love the Aruba/Curacao itinerary, too. However, it looks like you've never done the Western itineraries, but have frequented Grand Turk, which would be repeated on the Sunshine. I would suggest trying one of the western routes, because of that. Either one is good. Driving to PC from NC is a breeze...(pun intended). Whereas the drive to New Orleans would be so long!! Whatever you decide, happy cruising!

I just chose the Dream on the same trip you are looking at. But for me a lot of that was because of cost and the fact New Orleans is closer for me. So in your shoes I would probably choose the Breeze to get to more new ports for you! Plus Breeze will be very similar to Magic which you said you enjoyed!

My clear winner: Sunshine

1. it's CHEAPER ($73.85 per person, per day)

The Breeze is $86.88 per person, per day

The Dream is $79.45 per person, per day

2. It has an extra day ... beleive me ... you'll thank me on DAY 6, when you still have another full day of cruising left, instead of that sad "We have to disembark tomorrow" you will have with the "shorter" 7 day cruises.

3. Weather will probably be better the farther south you go.

Of course, you can't really "lose" at the end of the day you will still be on a cruise ... which is better than being at home! Enjoy!!!

BREEZE.... for your kids, it offers good excursions in all ports...like cave tubing in Belize or snorkeling with sharks. Roatan has monkeys and dolphins or ziplining and snorkeling, kayaking. Cozumel has about anything, great beach clubs with water toys, or snorkel tours.

Based on what you said, I would book the Dream, especially if you can add in a couple of days in New Orleans pre- or post-cruise. That would give you a 9-night vacation, you would get to spend time in a favorite city, you would get to cruise over Halloween, and you would be on a Dream-class ship. The ports are great, and would give you a chance to try a Western Caribbean itinerary. Even Jamaica has a number of family-friendly excursion options.

If you can't take the time to drive the extra distance and spend the extra days in New Orleans, I'd pick the Sunshine. Even though both PC itineraries offer great ports, I think 8 days trumps 7 days on a Dream-class ship, and the price of the Sunshine is better than that of the Breeze.

Whatever you do, though, I'm sure you and your family will have a wonderful time. You've narrowed it down to three great choices.

Blessings,

SiraJoy

So I may have made up my mind. While the kids really wanted to go on a Halloween cruise again and I do love New Orleans I and not crazy on the ports. Plus even though it is cheaper it will be more in the long run with the mini stay in New Orleans. The more I look at the other 2 I see that the Western is more than the Southern with an extra day. Typically when I price cruises Western is cheaper. The only thing I hate is that it is a ship we have already been on. No biggie bc I didn't hate it but like to try new things. The next is while I know I will love Aruba and Curacao I haven't researched what to do. So will let the family vote btwn the 2 and see what the winner is.

Edited by lagienomai

I've done all of these ports and the Southern Caribbean itinerary is by far the best itinerary. We've done it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful ports that look like post cards with tons of family friendly excursions. :) My second choice would be the Breeze. It's the prettiest ship I've ever been on and the Thrill theater with the moving seats and 3-D effects was a big hit with my kids. And it's only $12.95 for a weeks pass. Plus Mohogany Bay has the animal farm where you can hold monkeys, so that port and the awesome ship makes it my second choice. ;)

I vote for the 8 day to the ABC's. One extra day of cruising and new ports! All 3 islands have beautiful beaches. On Curaçao, I highly recommend going to the aquarium and doing an animal encounter where you get to feed sharks and stingrays; it was awesome! The beach next door is calm, beautiful, fun, and relaxing to suit adults and kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My vote is for Aruba/Curaçao.

DH and I are doing a 14-day Pride cruise out of Baltimore November 2018.

Aruba and Curaçao are part of the itinerary. Also, my favorite island of

St. Maarten.

Enjoy which ever one you pick!

Karen