Why should you book direct with RC?

immy619

Yeah, there's no real point of booking with a TA here in the UK for cruise holidays. It's cheaper to book with Royal direct. TAs don't offer perks like they do in the US (except for low deposit or free port parking on occasion if you're going out of the UK) and they all offer the same deluxe drinks package with booking as its a promotion by RCI - not "free" but included with the price.

The only times I book with a TA is when I'm going to the Caribbean and I don't want the hassle of flight, hotel and transfer booking, but saying that the last TA I booked with for my cruise out of San Juan completely messed up as when we got to our hotel we had no reservation there and ended up being charged for the room again. Still trying to claim the money back! We do have a good TA we book with for land based holidays but they can't offer the same prices Royal does so we rarely book with her for cruises.

I'm going to Alaska in May booked with a ta as far as i can tell its cheaper including a drinks package and transfers .

Okay help me understand the difference. I've always booked direct. People talk about the freedom to make changes but I rarely change rooms. If you book through a travel agency do you still have the ability to go on the RC web site and book entertainment and excursions and drink packages? What are you not able to do if you book through a travel agent?

Thanks

I have just been the Caribbean my first ta booked cruise i was able to get on the cruise planner and book a drinks package ,the only thing that was not available instantly was the set sail pass i had to wait a few days .

I have never got perks from a TA - always wondered how many cruisers give such a list of them. I, too, think it is that CDN TAs don't seem to offer perks - even my last booking with a "major" travel chain. Not even a bottle of wine! The price is the same as online - so I don't even seem to be getting the advantage of a "group booking". Wish names of agencies could be given.

I have never got perks from a TA - always wondered how many cruisers give such a list of them. I, too, think it is that CDN TAs don't seem to offer perks - even my last booking with a "major" travel chain. Not even a bottle of wine! The price is the same as online - so I don't even seem to be getting the advantage of a "group booking". Wish names of agencies could be given.

It is against the board rules to list travel agency names, but search for TAs that specialize exclusively in cruise bookings. Many will even have the word cruise in their names (hint, hint). There are hundreds that offer very generous perks to book with them. The average non-specialized travel agent will make approximately 10% of the fare price of a cruise. However, a cruise specialized travel agent can make up to 16% of the fare of the cruise based on hitting high sales volume bonuses. So if it a $4000 total price cruise and $800 of that is fees and port charges, they get 16% of the remaining $3200. That leaves them with a $520 commission. These agents are all about sales volume and give the booking passengers back a couple hundred in OBC and other perks. There are pros and cons to booking with these cruise specialized agencies. One of the biggest downside to booking with one of these very large agencies is you may be on hold for awhile if you have questions or need to make changes to the reservation.

Edited by WhenIsLobsterNight

We've booked 2 cruises with RCI and 2 with NCL.

Only the very first cruise did we book direct. We got no discounts, no OBC, no additional anything at all and to date it was our most expensive cruise. We were virgin cruisers and knew nothing about anything and just talked to the person on the other end of the phone.

The second cruise we called NCL to get a price and then went to a TA. We got 400$ of OBC in addition to what NCL was offering (Ultimate Dining Plan at that time). We were also able to call and reprice the cruise before we went. We did miss out on a price drop over a weekend sale as our TA wasn't available on the weekends. She was nice and attentive but seemed to be busy with life and this was her side job. I like to be able to make changes and manage me own reservations but it was kind of frustrating with everything having to go through the TA.

Our third cruise was in The Haven with NCL. We used a friends brother in law for our TA. He did nothing for us. I thought he would be able to help us out but there was zero benefit from using him. It was actually tougher to get a hold of him to make payments and when I called to make a final payment he had no idea that final payment was due that week for our cruise.

Our 4th cruise is coming up in March. I went through one of the big "Cruise Travel Agencies" that spams me about once a week. It's likely a disease I probably picked up from hanging out here at CC. I only used them because when I called RCI, they told me that the room I wanted wasn't available. This other Cruise Agency was having one of their 4 annual big sales and when I called them they said they could get me the room I wanted and while their pricing was about 70$ more, they could get me about 300$ of OBC with the sale.

What I found out after purchasing from this big "Cruise Travel Agency" was that they "con'd" me. They have a fee of 100$ per person if you make any changes to the reservation. Might not be a big deal for 2 people but thats 600$ for us. I stuck with them anyways as there were no plans to change anything. Its been okay working with them and I really only went with them because the additional OBC. I did get one repricing with them and saved a couple hundred dollars and no fees to do that.

I think finding the right TA is the ticket. It's nice booking direct because of accessibility to your reservations (Especially if you have a chance to reprice it) but I think if you can get a couple hundred dollars of bonuses thrown in it makes sense to use a TA. Maybe next time we will try the big box stores.

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

Yes you can still make all your reservations and pre cruise purchase.

You cannot, change cabins, call for price drops, switch the cruise to a different date, change the occupant of the cabin, make a paymemt. For these things you must call your TA.

For some it's not a big deal, for others it is. Choose what works for you.

Thanks,

That's what I thought. Usually once I choose a cruise I'm pretty sure on what I want so I don't need to make changes like that. I think I will try a TA next time to see if I can get some perks.

Yes you can still make all your reservations and pre cruise purchase.

You cannot, change cabins, call for price drops, switch the cruise to a different date, change the occupant of the cabin, make a paymemt. For these things you must call your TA.

For some it's not a big deal, for others it is. Choose what works for you.

Along those lines, on our upcoming cruise we changed cabin types three times, due to some disagreements in our party as to which kind of cabin would be best for my mother (for whom the cruise was a surprise, so we couldn't simply ask her what she wanted in advance). Booked directly through RCCL and had absolutely no problems; the changes were accomplished in a reasonably quick phone call.

I booked directly with RCCL but I had to do it on the phone because I was having an issue with the website at the time. Therefore, I not only did not get any extra benefits of a TA, but I can't make any online changes to my reservation. I can book my own shows/restaurants, but I can't even make my final payment online. I'm kind of sorry I went directly through them because some of the TA benefits would have been good to have.

Don't know about changes on line, but when I book direct with RCCL I always do it by phone and have no problem making my final payment online.

We do both....usually book on board and early for best cabin and best prices with not much OBC , no perks.

I do sometimes book with an agency who does quite a bit of cruise bookings. Recently I booked on board and then checked the agency prices when I got home. I could not transfer as it was some kind of special offer. I canceled my booking with RCCL and rebooked with the agent because her price was less for a balcony then I had booked for an OV. OBC was the same. Only catch was that I had to pay the full deposit ( which is paid directly to RCCL). And I would never book with anyone who charges for cancellation or changes.

I would say about one of five I book with her. The other four bookings I have she can't do better on so I keep them. It doesn't hurt to check with a TA but if they can't do better I like control. We don't book suites and have never gotten more $300 OBC and that was from RCCL once. We can only dream about getting drink packages...

Maybe it's something in the laws of other countries, not sure. In the US many (most) TA's will give up part of their commission in order to give the customer onboard credit or a free drink package or whatever. Good for the TA and good for the cruiser.

For me personally it makes using a TA a no brainer. I'd rather have $2-300 in perks, and let the TA sit on hold for changes instead of me. I can still change anything about my booking if I need to, I just email the TA instead of calling RC. I rarely make changes anyway.

If I wasn't getting the perks I would book directly. Honestly in the internet age with it being so easy for people to do their own research and their own bookings, I don't see how TA's that don't offer monetary perks even make it.

If you are the kind of traveler who books and then sits back and waits for his cruise to begin, you will be a good candidate for using a travel agent. (don't expect ALL of those things that you list in your first post, though)

If you are like many of us experienced cruisers here on this thread, we LIKE to do things for ourselves and prefer NOT to cede control to someone else. If I see a price drop, I'll call on the spot and get it. If I see a cabin I would rather have, I'll call on the spot and get it. If I see a problem in my reservation, I have no problem calling and taking care of it myself.

You just have to know yourself.

:)

Well said, MM. Our first (and last) TA dropped a PD opportunity for us, she went on vacay, none of the other TA's could help me at the same agency "because we were her account." Wasn't worth the free excursion. I love being at our own controls....and no third parties. But, I'll use a TA for the proposed trip to Russia.

Booking with a TA has its good & bad, the good, many times you get extra perks, put under a Group booking which can lower your price, if you have a problem with your booking, a TA I feel from personal experience has more pull then I will in getting it corrected. The bad, not being able to call and make changes , ie change cabins quickly, get lower pricing with price drops, this all has to be done through your TA thus causes delays.

We rarely change cabins but check for price drops. When it comes down to it, I could do this all myself by booking direct with the cruise line since I do all the research, yet have stayed with our TA due to the Honesty and excellent service we receive from she and her associates. We each book based upon what has worked best for us and are happy with. Is one way better then the other, I don't know, we can encounter a poor agent either way, so go with with what your happy with and is working.

I always use an online TA and have 100% control of my booking.

I can do the same things as you except I don't need to sit on hold for 45 min.

But then again, I don't wake up at 3AM and suddenly need to changed cabins.

I have never waited 45 minutes on hold for Royal Caribbean, and never had to wait for a TA to get back to me with an answer either....we always book the cruise before, get a OBC for the cruise I'm on and the one I'm booking, as well as a reduced deposit. When I go home, I just change it to whatever cruise I want if I'm undecided about the one I've booked. I've never seen better pricing then booking as soon as the cruise opens, and never had any problems booking directly through RCI

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IMO booking direct is just throwing money away.

I've used the same very large online ta for years and always get free grats + group obc. They have 24/7 phone line and while I usually book through the same agent, anyone who answers the phone has always been able to help me. Never a problem with cabin changes, price reductions and cancellations (no charge).

They've interceded with cruise lines on my behalf and definitely got better results than I would have myself. Too often I've read horror stories on cc where Royal phone rep screwed something up and mgt wouldn't do anything to make things right.

That's the key....a GOOD agent. A bad one can certainly be a pain, and probably not worth the extra bennies, but a good agent can be worth it without any extras.

How do you know if you have a good agent? We used a TA on our first cruise in 1995. Never again. We had nothing but trouble with her. We have booked all our own cruises since then and have never regretted it. I like having control over my booking. Two weeks ago, I was able to call Royal and get a price reduction on an upcoming cruise. Could a TA do that in time to get the reduction? Not if she was busy or off that day.

One reason to book with Royal is so that you maintain 100% control over your reservation and don't have to go through a TA to make changes.

yep a good agent is the one who will do emailing and phone calls to RCCL so you dont have to. but key is a good agent. my agent even responds while on vacation and if she doesnt fix it she forwards my question to a co worker who will. on top of that you may get extra perks too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by southnam

we always book with a TA.Ours is Direct Line Cruises.We have booked 28 cruises with them and never have had a problem.Their perks are very good and travel insurance(very important),is included.We check many web sites all the time, and DLC beats them all the time,including RCL's prices.Good luck.

I think if a TA can get your account and work to establish some sort of personal relationship that us when they have you. Much easier to book direct, no personal commitment to an individual and if the deal does not come out as promised you can fire them. Hard to fire someone where you think you may hurt their feelings or whatever. Direct or TA, it is your money and they work for until you part with it. You surrender in that point and you loose. So easy for someone to negotiate an excuse, less so if it is just transaction via a web site. Rapid transactions on the web, ease of double checking what they say vs. what they do in reality is easy to verify. I book flights, hotels, cruises etc. and have nit had any issues. I had used TA in the past but with the equalization in technology I find their value proposition less than compelling. That is just me. Others may prefer to surrender management if the process to a TA and that is their call . To each, their own!

Thought I'd check out some TA's again for my upcoming cruise. They couldn't do anything for me with respect to price or added benefits. So, not going to bother. It's so easy to book things nowadays anyway, especially a cruise. I wish I could get some OBC or something, but nadda. They basically just make the same phone calls as I do.

Is it just better in the USA for TA's or something?

I gave up trying to book with RCCL since they "improved" their website and I find it difficult to search for a particular cabin. We are picky and want passenger cabins above, below, and across the passageway (if you've ever had a cabin above the nighclub or below the pool deck, you know what I'm talking about).

I use a travel department from a big box warehouse club that starts with a C and ends with ostco. With their website, I can search out and book the cabin I want. When I see a price drop, I call them and they arrange for a lower fare. I've also garnered some pretty good OBCs and perks, such as a free beverage package, a bottle of wine. They are even offering shore excursions with a no-miss-the-ship guarantee.

The big C is also good for searching and comparing several cruise lines if you are, for example, looking for a transatlantic cruise that meshes with a land tour in Europe and just want to cruise over instead of flying.