Recommendations for Sea Sick

I have been on the Oasis and still get sick when we are close to land. I have done Dramamine and I'm looking for something that works "better". I have heard if ginger and sea bands but looking for the "best option". I leave in 2 weeks on the Allure! Can't wait!!

I suffered a lot from sea sickness until I started taking Bonine, generic name is meclizine. The brand name is a lot more expensive that the generic. Walmart carries the chewable generic pills, bottle of 100 for under $6.00. I start the night before boarding the ship and take one in the morning and one at night for all of the sea days. If we have several port days in a row I can skip those days and start back the night before we start sea days again.

Works great for me.

I too have the same issues. I switched to Bonine on my last cruise and seemed to do better. Start the day before. I also probably overdo it, but I would rather be prepared. I asked my dr for nausea medication which I took with me. I also had the patch just in case. My last cruise I was on deck 6 on the Indy and right at the mid hump. Only had 1 day where I had a bit of an issue and it was day 6. I wasn't able to do my oasis cruise because I broke my left leg, elbow, and tore left meniscus...6 weeks before the cruise. My daughter and her friends still went. They were on deck 8 on the first hump area. Never had any issues, but they did feel movement a couple days.

Best thing to do is prepare with medicines and ginger pills. Then stay midship and as low of a floor as possible. I also always get a balcony so I can get fresh air. Realize that weather impacts any cruise no matter what ship you are on. Luckily we have cruised either December or March and only one time did we have weather issues around Cozumel in March. Good luck and let us know how you did on the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for mall your suggestions. I didn't realize it helped to take the meds a few days before. I will try the Bonine. Has anyone ever used the sea bands? Did they work?

I've tried two different bands and they didn't help at all.

I've gotten land sickness too. BAD waves one time....ugg.....

Edited by AmyJA

For years now I have always worn the Scopolamine Transdermal Patch as Bob suggested but it got to where I was having too many side effects. Someone suggested MotionEase which you can buy at Walmart. You just dab some behind both ears a few times a day and especially after getting out of the pool or shower. I tried it on my recent cruise and it worked great. I did use the patch one day, the day we left Aruba headed back to Miami, it was very rough seas. People all over the ship were sick. If it hadn't been for that one day I wouldn't have needed the patch at all. I highly recommend MotionEase!

Thanks for mall your suggestions. I didn't realize it helped to take the meds a few days before. I will try the Bonine. Has anyone ever used the sea bands? Did they work?

If the Dramamine doesnt work for you then I doubt the Bonnie will either. They work the same way except Bonine lasts longer and supposedly doesnt make you as drowsy but its not any more effective. If you still get sick when using Dramamine id go to the doctor and get the patch you put behind the ear. You can also ask for some anti nausea pills, zofran if the doc will give them up. I had some our last cruise with really rough seas and they were a life saver. Ginger pills and sea bands are great, etc. But I dont think will work on severe motion sickness. I think the trick to the bonine and Dramamine is to stay on it the whole time if you know you're prone to motion sickness. Take bonine the night before the cruise and then each morning and night.

Edited by jetta8300

I suffered a lot from sea sickness until I started taking Bonine, generic name is meclizine. The brand name is a lot more expensive that the generic. Walmart carries the chewable generic pills, bottle of 100 for under $6.00. I start the night before boarding the ship and take one in the morning and one at night for all of the sea days. If we have several port days in a row I can skip those days and start back the night before we start sea days again.

Works great for me.

Yes, I wish it was available when I was a kid:eek:

Another variant is "Dramamine II Less Drowsy".

Dramamine does not work at all for me. Only Bonine (meclizine) works for me.

Tried the patch once and the side effects were awful for me- dry mouth, blurry vision and just generally did not feel well. Some do fine with the patch but a lot of folks like me do not tolerate it well.

I have been on the Oasis and still get sick when we are close to land. I have done Dramamine and I'm looking for something that works "better". I have heard if ginger and sea bands but looking for the "best option". I leave in 2 weeks on the Allure! Can't wait!!

Ginger works for me, Sea Bands are the best placebo on the market.