Leaving from Vancouver, how long for a comfortable connection?

Jimbo

Destination Philadelphia, flights seem to connect in either Montreal or Toronto.....How long for a comfortable connection?

This would be in June.........1st week.

Is an 1 hour and 19 minutes cutting it to close?

Jimbo:)

To clarify... what time is your ship scheduled to dock?

In general.... you want a flight 11am or later for a domestic flight (2hrs for domestic, 3 hrs for international)

What time is your preferred flight?

I think they may be asking how much time will they need in either Toronto or Montreal to connect to their flight to Philly - not how much time they need to get from Canada Place to YVR.

Perhaps if the OP would clarify their post we can give a better answer to your question.

Cheers!

Dennis

Urban trekker is correct, We haven't flown much internationally so not sure we have enough time inbetween flights. No problem catching the flight in Vancouver we are either staying over an extra day or even 2 before we fly home after the cruise.

Since it would be a Canada-Canada flight there shouldn't be any additional "customs" type delays... Those would occur in Philly.

I haven't been to either of those airports - you need time to get from the internal Canada part of the airport to the International part...

Since it would be a Canada-Canada flight there shouldn't be any additional "customs" type delays... Those would occur in Philly.

I haven't been to either of those airports - you need time to get from the internal Canada part of the airport to the International part...

I haven't done the route that the OP is looking at. Since he won't go through Customs and Immigration at Vancouver that all flights going directly to the US goes through, does this mean he won't do them in Montreal or Toronto? And then does it in Philly?

I don't know what is unique about Vancouver that they do Customs and Immigration there for flights going to US.

Both Montreal and Toronto have pre-clearance for US Customs, just like Vancouver. I would allow two hours connection time.

Thank you. I thought there was a possibility for this.

Edited by Coral

Wonder why WESTJET would schedule connecting flights like that? 1:19 layover?

Jimbo :)

Because even an hour is enough if the inbound flight is on-time. Folks on tight connections get hustled to the front of the queues all the time - nobody wants you to miss a flight, they have to deal with your luggage, arranging another seat, feed and even house you on longer delays!

While an hour or less would be pushing it, 1:19 is plenty in Toronto - and Montreal is a less-busy airport so should be even less trouble there. If you have the option of a slightly longer connection I'd take it - 2 hours is a nice amount of time - but if the choice is keep your 1:19 or wait for 4+ I'd stick to the shorter connection.

Okay, another question to make me feel more at ease. If going from Vancouver to Montreal to Philadelphia would we have to go through security again when changing planes in Montreal............would be the same airline. West Jet! I wouldn't think so but does anyone have teh hard facts about this. Layover would still be about an 1:20.

^Hopefully someone who has actually flown YVR-YUL-USA recently will post to confirm their experience, but according to the official website you go through security (at checkpoint C), then US CBP pre-screening, at Montreal.

As the terminal maps show, you need to cross the building through the oublic area and go up one floor to get from Canadian arrivals to US departures, there's no 'behind the scenes' route that lets you remain in the secure area. Checked bags however should be sent automatically to your next flight - unless CBP think you're dodgy...

We just did Vancouver to Toronto to La Guardia to South Carolina last September. If you do Vancouver to Toronto, you will clear customs in Toronto and no.....1 hour and 19 minutes will not get it done for you. You will clear customs in Toronto and not Philly. Where we came off WestJet, it was a long hike down to the customs area and not very well marked on how to find it. You have to go back thru a security line, scan your passport and then stand in another line for customs before you go back into the airport and another long hike to find your next gate. I will never fly thru Toronto again if I can possibly help it. Can't help you with Montreal. If you are flying WestJet to Toronto, you will check in at the domestic terminal and NOT the international one in Vancouver despite the fact that your ultimate destination is the US. We found that out the hard way last year when we literally had to go from one side of the airport to the other. If by any chance you book a flight from Vancouver directly into the US, then you would fly out of the international terminal and would clear customs in Vancouver.

Okay, Toronto sounds really bad, so inless I hear better about going through Montreal we might have to change our departure airport to EWR Newark. We can get an Air Canada one way flight from VAN to EWR. Going to cost about $60 more per person but seems well worth the extra rather then footing it around the airport trying to catch a flight.