Norway in July

Dana Deem

We will be on the Koningsdam in July and can't Really get a feel for the weather in Norway. Will we need heavy or light jackets? I do know weather changes, but.....! I see that July is rainy season. Did anyone take/wear short? I know it'll be cooler than NC!! Can't wait to see this new Dam ship !!! Thanks

I've cruised Norway more times than I can count, in every month from May through September.

You can have sun, or rain. Not in July, but in other months there's also been snow up in the mountains. It can be warm enough that I wore sundresses, and I've also worn sweat suits, sometimes with a jacket over it. Gloves are always something to bring; a know hat wouldn't hurt.

In other words, be prepared to layer. A light, lined jacket, with a sweater weight something underneath will serve you well. Also, a t-shirt or two.

Enjoy your time in this gorgeous country.

We've been to Norway twice in July. While we might have been able to wear shorts once or twice, we certainly didn't miss not having them. The first trip was after an unusually late/cold spring, and it was still chilly. Definitely didn't want shorts on that trip. We wore hats and gloves a few times. The second time the weather was more moderate, but still not short-sleeve or short pants weather. We wore jeans for walking around in port, and layers on top. One of the layers you take should be waterproof.

One night on the first cruise, we celebrated the midnight sun by going into an open-deck hot tub at midnight. Not everyone in our group participated. Some were designated robe holders, and we were VERY grateful to have the robes to put on when we got out. :eek:

If you don't have enough warm clothes with you, there are lots of gorgeous (but expensive) sweaters to buy in Norway!

We definitely needed our rain gear in almost every Norway port in July. The temps were not bad but the moving ship made it feel colder out on deck. Regardless, you will LOVE this cruise. We spent a lot of time bundled up out on our balcony to take in the gorgeous scenery while cruising the fjords! It is by far one of the most scenic. And just to be clear, it didn't rain every port, but it was misty and foggy and we wore our raingear just in case.

We have also been to Norway several times -- and one time was in July.

We don't even pack Bermudas for this type of cruise. Very little chance of using them.

If you have ever been to Alaska -- dress the same way -- in layers. Pack small portable umbrellas.

I so agree!!! Both you and Ruth are the heart of great information!

I always take your advice, and to us it was like rolling the dice 🎲!!!

The weather is so unpredictable like Paris!!! We brought warm clothing and as well as more summertime clothing!

Warm weather clothing prevailed in Norway for us!

So enjoy your cruise

Denise:)

We cruised round the Baltic capitals and St. Petersburg last year late July. The weather was lovely. We were even in the pool a couple of times. It is just your luck. I read a review of the same cruise a few weeks earlier and it rained most of the time. Prepare for everything.

We definitely needed our rain gear in almost every Norway port in July. The temps were not bad but the moving ship made it feel colder out on deck. Regardless, you will LOVE this cruise. We spent a lot of time bundled up out on our balcony to take in the gorgeous scenery while cruising the fjords! It is by far one of the most scenic. And just to be clear, it didn't rain every port, but it was misty and foggy and we wore our raingear just in case.

Same for my July 2015 cruise - even if it was not raining, it was cloudy and damp and sometimes windy ashore, requiring warm jacket and hat and gloves - weather really sucked and we missed one port due to high winds - definitely need a do-over on this cruise. However, the views from the warm Crows Nest of the scenic cruising in and out of the fjords was awesome. The crew said the week before ours had spectacular weather so it is a toss-up. Be prepared for rain and cooler weather.

We did Eidsfjord and Alesund about August 2-3. Cold, we wore our rain proof, water proof, wind resistant jackets. While we took our heavy jackets, the only place we needed them was Greenland. Beautiful scenery!

I second the knit hats, mittens, and scarves.

Norway isn't very handicapped friendly. One of the bathrooms had about five steps to reach, w/ no handrails. One lady on our tour w/ a walker decided to skip it.

The waterfalls and Waffles in Eidsfjord was very slippery at one stop, and we were cautioned by the guide. Still someone fell on the trail.

We did Eidsfjord and Alesund about August 2-3. Cold, we wore our rain proof, water proof, wind resistant jackets. While we took our heavy jackets, the only place we needed them was Greenland. Beautiful scenery!

I second the knit hats, mittens, and scarves.

Norway isn't very handicapped friendly. One of the bathrooms had about five steps to reach, w/ no handrails. One lady on our tour w/ a walker decided to skip it.

The waterfalls and Waffles in Eidsfjord was very slippery at one stop, and we were cautioned by the guide. Still someone fell on the trail.

Thanks for this information. I will be there in June, so I am sure the weather information will still be good.

I also appreciate the information on handicapped facilities. I had to cancel the last cruise due to a broken hip and while I am sure I'll be recovered enough by June, I always want to be prepared. I'm planning to bring my folding cane with me.

Thanks for this information. I will be there in June, so I am sure the weather information will still be good.

We recently had a cruise to Norway in late June (from Southampton, not on HAL). The weather was glorious. We had only two hours of rain - in Flam, fortunately after the train excursion. More often than not we carried our spring jackets rather than wearing them. As others have said: you have to expect anything.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I loved reading all the advice here! We also are cruising Norway in July (on the Rotterdam) and one of the reasons we booked it just because we loved the views and side trips from our Alaska cruise last year. I'm just wondering though, we found in Alaska that dining in the Main Dining Room was super casual. I don't know if was because the cruise was mostly Canadian and Aussies (we do love our jeans!) - or if it was the weather..... I'm pretty sure we even wore jeans (not ripped of course) with nice sweaters and fashionable boots. I never even wore a cocktail dress on formal nights on that cruise, maybe boots, skirt, tights and sparkly sweater (think Canadian Christmas party LOL). Can anyone speak to this from experience? OH - and my big tip is this.... make sure you have some way to secure your hair so that it doesn't get blown around. I started with hair elastics, but eventually found a light weight - tight fitting (so it doesn't blow off) knitted hat that kept the hair out of my face better than anything else.

Hi, I loved reading all the advice here! We also are cruising Norway in July (on the Rotterdam) and one of the reasons we booked it just because we loved the views and side trips from our Alaska cruise last year. I'm just wondering though, we found in Alaska that dining in the Main Dining Room was super casual. Can anyone speak to this from experience?

I have found that the northern Europe cruisers tend to meet the dress code and then some.

I am heading there later today, and expect to see long gowns, and cocktail dresses on Gala night, as well as a minimum level of smart casual on other nights.

I expect to see at least some tuxedos, suits, and jackets, with only a few men dressed in casual wear in the evening.

One more question for our resident experts. After the Koningsdam Fjords cruise on 6/25, we are spending a week in Amsterdam. Is it the same type of weather, or could it be a little warmer? Thanks in advance for the advice.

One good way to check what clothes you might need is to look up traveler photos, not tourist office photos, of places you will be visiting at the same time you will be visiting - trip advisor posters provide a lot of candid shots. Check out their dress, layers and even shoes. Good reminder about having good tread soles, because trails and walkways can get slippery from the intermittent rain or waterfall mists.

Our experience with Norway in the summer is similar to all the prior reports and only add that the weather also changes hourly. Looking out the window when you leave is no guarantee of what weather you will run into for the remainder of the day. Additionally, there is also a lot of view-obscuring fog that can ruin anticipated scenic vistas, but the country is so lovely in its own right that it remains a very enjoyable experience anyway.

Rain also means green and lots of flowers, but with up to a month or so seasonal delay compared to US. On a July trip to the upper reaches of Norway the tulips were out and the azalea and rhododendrons had just peaked their bloom. Lilacs were still lush - which I association more with late spring and not mid-summer.

I have found that the northern Europe cruisers tend to meet the dress code and then some.

I am heading there later today, and expect to see long gowns, and cocktail dresses on Gala night, as well as a minimum level of smart casual on other nights.

I expect to see at least some tuxedos, suits, and jackets, with only a few men dressed in casual wear in the evening.

Thank You Ruth C! That was exactly the information I was looking for.

I did the cruise to the Midnight Sun in August and the weather is one place was warm and the next we needed hats, gloves, scarfs and jackets. So as others have said be prepared, especially for rain. I always carry a folding umbrella (just in case). When we got to the North Cape (Artic Circle) we needed our jackets. Cruising some of the fjords I needed my jacket. I have a picture on facebook where I am bundled up with jacket, gloves and a wool blanket sitting on my lounge chair (Lanai Cabin). And then in another port we were walking around in just shirt sleeves, so you just never know. Be prepared and pack that fleece jacket and sweaters, gloves, scarf and hat (a rain poncho also).

Enjoy your time in Norway. While you did not address this issue, BE PREPARED! Price shock will certainly floor you!

Wife and I stopped at a local dock market and inquired about a small lunch (very small salad, 3 shrimp, roll). Price: $52.48 U.S.

And, we REALLY wanted to by one of the much mentioned sweaters. They were beautiful. Couldn't find one for under $350.00 U.S. :o