Copenhagen--how long will it take to get to port from airport

courtneyMC

hello,

Just curious- our flight arrives at 7am and we will be heading straight to the port. We're considering doing the Princess airport transfers just because we'll be tired and have 4 people with luggage so it seems easier than doing two taxis.

Anyway my question is about how long does it take to get from the airport to the pier via the princess transfers?

Oh, and is the pier a decent place to hang out for a few hours? I am assuming we'll be there a while before we are able to board.

thanks!

Edited by courtneyMC

There's nothing to do around Oceankaj. It's an industrial area.

You could take the train or a taxi to the Central Station, pay to store your luggage and go sightseeing until it's time to head to Oceankaj. There's a lot to see and do within walking distance of the Central Station.

A taxi from the airport to the Central Station would take about 20 minutes (or more if traffic is bad.)

Here's info on luggage storage:

http://m.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/luggage-storage

Thank you but I think we'll be too tired to mess around with storing luggage and the train for just a couple hours. I would hope we can find a comfy chair and be able to board early... Is the port at least comfortable to sit and wait?

so still the original question of does anyone know how long it takes if you're doing ship transfers to get to the pier? I don't know how it works with Ship transfers- do they run a bus every certain amount of time and we wait somewhere for the next one, and then how long is the ride?

Trying to get an idea if we get off the plane at 7am will we be at the port at 8 and have 3-4 hours to sit or is it a longer process and we won't even get to the port until mid morning?

thank you!

Driving between airport and port really varies, depending on time of the day and traffic. In your case, you would be driving right through parts of Copenhagen during the early morning traffic rush...so your journey could easily take 45 min. Once at the port you would just have to sit until you are permitted to board the ship.

Ship transfers are a matter of luck (of timing) which is why we seldom do ship transfers when arriving at a city. You will be met at the airport and either held in a designated area or guided outside to a bus or possibly mini-bus. The transfer companies tend to wait until they fill (or nearly fill) their vehicles which means you can leave anytime from immediate to sometime later. On the other hand, there is really no reason to rush since you are simply going to the port to wait until boarding time....which might not be until well after 11am. Princess has sometimes been real good to us in Europe by allowing us to board early....but other times we have waited for hours.

Hank

Oceankaj is about 25-30 minutes from the airport. As Hank noted the route is through the city with some roads 2 lanes and some multiple.

I can't remember if there is any seating at the pier and there is absolutely nothing of interest adjacent to the docking areas.

There are taxis and vans at the airport. Room for 4 plus cruise luggage would not be a problem. The vans are parked close to the taxi area.

Ask Princess before you purchase your transfer tickets when the earliest shuttle will depart. If I had to guess I'd bet it will be much later than 8.

The train platform is actually within the airport terminal. From baggage claim you would simply take an elevator back upstairs and follow the signs. There are ticket machines conveniently located.

I know you will be weary but you will either have to cool your heels at the airport or at the pier but most likely both.

If you must wait at the airport I'd suggest you head over to the Hilton across from the airport and have a cup of coffee and/or a pricey breakfast and relax in comfort. The entrance to the hotel is almost directly across from the taxi/bus area. There is a covered walkway from the departure level adjacent to the train.

I have a similar question but in reverse!! We have a 10 am flight out of Copenhagen and I intend to book a taxi transfer from the port. Can anyone recommend a taxi company. Alternatively if we are off the ship early are there plenty of taxis at the port. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums