Radiance or Explorer?

Gidday :)

I realise that what one chooses is down to personal tastes but I was hoping for some assistance regarding which cruise to book.

While on board the Ovation DH & I booked a Transpacific for April 2018 on Radiance.

Post cruise we discovered that Explorer does a similar trip, also in April, ends in Seattle, but we would likely try to disembark in Hawaii due to time restraints.

We have sailed on a Voyager class ship before but not a Radiance class.

Multi generational trip, my amazing step father who is in his 80s, with DH & I, early 50s and our kids DS early 20s and daughter who will turn 18 on the voyage.

Any reccomendations?

Pros, cons?

We are not a hugely sporty family but if the toys are there we may play ie; ice skating, rock wall etc.

Poppa is a golfer, watches cricket, drinks beer and is happy to sit and talk to anyone :-D

Kids are musicans who have enjoyed the kids clubs in the past. DD is still in school and very academic.

We did miss the mini golf course while on Ovation :-(

Love movies...

Would an inside be awful? Currently booked in Oceanview cabins 7000 & 7500 on the Radiance.

Also, if we did change our booking, will we lose our deposit and OBC?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer :-)

TraceyG

I think either ship would suit, although your son may enjoy the Explorer more. I think your kids may be too old or kids club but I am sure they will find something to do.

As for getting off in Hawaii, can't you just book for that leg?

I would think the oceanview cabins would at least let you see the sky from your cabin, personally I prefer the balcony to get fresh air and feel the weather before getting dressed. The island would really make spending time on the balcony worth it.

Hi there

You won't lose your OBC and deposit if you switch to another RCI sailing, this is one of their benefits for booking onboard.

I love the Radiance class. Radiance of the Seas is a favourite ship of mine.

I have sailed the transpacific, but in the reverse, on Radiance in 2014. My partner and I loved the trip, very relaxing with both sets of lengthy sea days.

I'm not sure of the EOS itinerary, but Radiance should be stopping at Tahiti - Moorea and Bora Bora in particular is just sensational. True paradise. That alone would be a reason for me to select Radiance.

I have sailed on Voyager of the Seas, and didn't like the ship very much for a number of reasons.

Radiance is very open, lots of outward views, glass elevators facing the sea, mini golf up top, rock climbing wall - but it misses out on the flowrider and ice skating rink. You do have a few restaurants and other eateries to choose from if that's a selling point, including Samba Grill and Boardwalk Doghouse which are fairly unique, but it does miss out on Johnny Rockets. Izumi, Chops, Park Cafe, Giovanni's are all there too.

It's hard to say which you should do, but perhaps trying a new ship would be a good idea too!

Let me know if you have any Radiance specific questions, as I just disembarked from 22 nights on her last week, and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radiance is smaller than Explorer, so some of the extras you mention and are used to won't exist e.g. the ice skating which I think is one of the key attractions. Both for the activity, and also for the extra show, so you miss out on both on Radiance. Also missing the flowrider, which is an easy activity to get on.

I wasn't a fan of Radiance, though it does have many. It does have the mini-golf you like - but then so does Explorer.

The only real plus I think of Radiance is fewer passengers so tenders/queues are a bit better. But I suspect your itinerary will only have docks so that wouldn't affect things.

The other facilities you mentioned the family enjoyed are pretty equivalent e.g. bars, music between the ships.

With the refurbishment, you can get the Interior rooms with Virtual balconies. They're basically the same as an oceanview - arguably better as the 'window' is way larger. That said, I prefer cabins with balcony on that route - but if your budget only goes so far, I'd suggest the interior w/ virtual balcony as the best option (assuming cheaper than OV on Radiance).

For such a long cruise, it wouldn't be one I'd just try out for the ship, so I'd be picking Explorer in this case.

I just read that your sailing on Voyager was 2012. Note that it (and Explorer) has been refurbished since then as I referred to with the interior virtual balcony cabins which were added - the worst thing imo was the removal of the nightclub.

They added more cabins, flowrider (replacing roller skating), plus some speciality restaurants, the shopping promenade was revamped and some other changes. Just mentioning as I much preferred her pre-refurb - but there are some changes you may not be aware of. Radiance has also been refurbished before. On the whole my preference is still for Voyager/Explorer for reasons above.

Having travelled on both, I found Radiance a million times better although that was going a few years back so things might have changed.

Explorer is the worst cruise I have done in 15 cruises, although even the 'worst' cruise is still a good cruise. Explorer was really over crowded, not many public spaces since the refurb per passenger had lousy service/long queues for everything and the entertainment was shocking when we went, maybe that has changed now?

I would choose Carnival Legends repo over Explorer of the seas!

Have only been on the Radiance but liked it.

I would also take into account the ports and the number of sea days on each one.

If you are finishing in Honolulu:

Radiance has 11 sea days and stops at Tahiti and Bora Bora

Explorer has 8 sea days and does Fiji and Vanuatu.

Do you want to stop somewhere you haven't been yet (if this applies) and is there enough to keep your family entertained on the blocks of sea days?

Whatever you choose, have fun:)

Hi Tracey,

I have been on both ships and much prefer the Radiance over the Explorer.

The only thing the Radiance does not have is the Ice Skating Rink and the Flow Rider.

The Radiance is a beautiful ship and has lots of glass windows so you really feel like you are on a ship.

With the Voyager Class Ships I sometimes feel I could be in a shopping mall.

Windjammers on the Radiance is nicer as it has a great outdoor eating are at the back of the ship which is great on a nice day.

I also preferred the Schooner Lounge on the Radiance. The one on the Voyager seems very closed in and small.

The Radiance also has the following which the Explorer does not have:

A Cinema,

Park Café in the Solarium(the Explorer has the Promenade Café)

Hot Dog House

The Radiance wins hands down for me. It’s a much nicer ship in my view.

Of course others may have different opinions.:-)

Whatever you choose have a lovely trip.

My preference would be Radiance, because it's my #1 favourite of the 9 ships I've cruised on.

However, it may not be the best for your needs. You said that your kids liked the idea of ice skating and mini-golf. Radiance doesn't have an ice skating rink, and the mini-golf course is often unusable on sea days due to the high winds and it's exposed location. Given that you're looking at a trans-pacific cruise, there are going to be lots of sea days - and probably lots of days when the Radiance's mini-golf course just isn't playable.

One thing I really loved about the Radiance was the self-stabilising pool tables, something I haven't found on any other ship (including the Voyager class). I also liked the hot dog stand, the Mexican restaurant, and the Brazilian churascaria restaurant.

For me, the Radiance is the perfect size. It's Panamax size, despite being almost 30% larger than the likes of Rhapsody, Sun/Dawn/Sea Princess, Carnival Spirit, Pacific Dawn/Jewel/Pearl. It's not a huge mega ship, like the Voyager class, and you don't feel that there are as many passengers on board with you.

Prefer the Radiance also, as stated above lots of glass to see the sea on all those sea days.

On Voyager and Explorer I felt like we were always inside, the aft area is taken up by the rock wall and flowrider.

On Radiance you can walk through the two restaurants and sit out on the rear deck with your breakfast or lunch, a lovely spot!

Love the bars aft of the Scooner bar, dark wood and windows overlooking the wake, has a real old ship feel.

Visiting Bora Bora and Moorea is a bonus on the Radiance:)

Just to add the Radiance has a dedicated little cinema, get there early for a seat though!