More Cuba sailings open through November

So did you book your Cuban cruise yet? This was an announcement that the booking are open, and those that book, are aware of the risk. Everyone that books this cruise, will know, that it is a risk. No need to let us know. It's not a big deal for those that book it.

You do not speak for everyone. Period.

And the Junior Suites on Empress are about the size of standard balconies :eek:

From the deck plan of the Empress: The Junior Suite is (112 to 155 sq. ft., balcony 40 to 120 sq. ft.). Most of the Balcony class cabins on several various ships we have been on are a bit under 200 Sq. Ft. The bottom line is that the cabins on the Empress are SMALLER than the other bigger ships in the RCL line.

Thank you for posting. We've moved our May 20th Cuba cruise to November. The Havana overnight is great, with departure not scheduled until 4 pm the second day.

PNW Traveler, I'll get to give you the rundown on Cuba when I see you in August on the Baltic cruise.

I'm doing a bit of a travel self experiment in March, whereas I have booked a flight on Delta r/t to Havana from US, and a room at a Casa Particular for 3 nights, independently. I have put together an itinerary that I believe fulfills the People to People requirements, and will document it for authorities.

Will let you know how it goes!

I was looking at Empress 5 day sailing in August with a Havana overnight. Since the only way to get a balcony on the Empress is to book a Junior suite. I priced it out for the 3 of us. Over $6K. Wow!! Over $1K per night. Havana is on our bucket but not at that price,

PNW Traveler, I'll get to give you the rundown on Cuba when I see you in August on the Baltic cruise.

I'm doing a bit of a travel self experiment in March, whereas I have booked a flight on Delta r/t to Havana from US, and a room at a Casa Particular for 3 nights, independently. I have put together an itinerary that I believe fulfills the People to People requirements, and will document it for authorities.

Thank you - looking forward to learning about your trip to Cuba :)

From the deck plan of the Empress: The Junior Suite is (112 to 155 sq. ft., balcony 40 to 120 sq. ft.). Most of the Balcony class cabins on several various ships we have been on are a bit under 200 Sq. Ft. The bottom line is that the cabins on the Empress are SMALLER than the other bigger ships in the RCL line.

Empress has a series of oceanview staterooms that are larger - approximately 200 sq. ft.

7164, 7664, 8164, 8664, 9164, 9664.

The info has been posted on CC in previous threads. I spent way too much time researching these staterooms, photo searches and other website cabin reviews. As of this morning 7164 was still available for the Nov 4 Cuba sailing.

Forgot to include this in the previous post.

Here's the Rick Steves Cuba video from our local PBS station pledge drive. It is excellent.

https://www.ricksteves.com/tv-programmers/pledge/cuba

I I have put together an itinerary that I believe fulfills the People to People requirements, and will document it for authorities.

You'll be surprised by the number of folks you'll have for company doing the same. The documentation seems very straight forward - simple form at flight check in.

You'll be surprised by the number of folks you'll have for company doing the same. The documentation seems very straight forward - simple form at flight check in.

Yes, that's the visa. I've already done mine in advance and paid my $50, and it will be at the Delta gate waiting for me. The documentation is an itinerary showing that I kept a "full time people to people itinerary that included educational and cultural interactions". I have already typed something up. I need to keep this, supported by any receipts and notes, for presentation (if asked) upon my return to the US, and for 5 years going forward.

Definitely DIY is the cheaper way to do this, as I paid $146 for r/t Delta flights Miami to Havana (I'll already be in Miami on my way back from a trip to Colombia I have booked, and will head to Havana rather than returning home), and I paid $52 a night for my stay in a bed and breakfast with private bath.

I'm not worried about it, and have even included my 77 year old mother on the trip. As I'm in the business, I like to give things a try and see how the details work out.

The documentation is an itinerary showing that I kept a "full time people to people itinerary that included educational and cultural interactions". I have already typed something up. I need to keep this, supported by any receipts and notes, for presentation (if asked) upon my return to the US, and for 5 years going forward.

Didn't realize it was that involved.

Biker, who did none of that during his trip two weeks ago.

Jr Suites may be smaller that those on other ships but at least they have a balcony so we can open the door and breathe the polluted air. We refuse to cruise unless we can book a balcony. Personal choice.

We are "Balcony Snobs" also..... :) But, we wanted to go see Havana on the 'Inaugural' cruise. So we will 'suck it up' and go on the cruise in a window room....

• 3 weeks later...