Fine tuning our day in Juneau....need some assistance.

Mitch2016

Hello everyone! We are sailing on NCL June 5-12 (Vancouver to Seward). Our day in Juneau will be from 11:00am-9:00pm. We are booked to do the Taku Lodge 5-glacier Flightseeing and Salmon Bake for the 1:00pm departure.....needing to be at Wings Airways at 12:30pm to check in. This is a 3 hour excursion so will be back in port at 4:00 pm. We're hoping to squeeze in the Mt. Roberts tram (visibility permitting) before checking in for Taku trip. Unfortunately, we won't have time to do a whale excursion because I haven't found any companies that go that late after 4:00 pm. If somebody knows of one that can get us back to ship about 8:00 please let me know! We're thinking then of taking the Blue Bus or just booking a taxi back and forth. If we do this, will there be enough time to walk down to Nugget Falls and roam around the visitors center? I'm guessing we would get there about 5:00 and would want to be picked up at 7:30.

My next quandary.....we will already be flying over glaciers and be very close to the Taku Glacier while at Taku Lodge. Would this be redundant to then go to Mendenhall? I understand it's a highlight for a Juneau stop and almost sacrilegious if we didn't go.....but are we passing up other things to see and do in town during that 3-4 hour window? We won't be wanting to eat again until we get back on ship so we aren't looking for suggestions on restaurants.

What recommendations or suggestions does everyone have....things that they have done or will be doing. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm a planner and like to have all my ducks in a row and itinerary ready. Hard to believe only 4 months to go.....we started this adventure by booking the cruise February 2016! Getting pretty excited!

Hello everyone! We are sailing on NCL June 5-12 (Vancouver to Seward). Our day in Juneau will be from 11:00am-9:00pm. We are booked to do the Taku Lodge 5-glacier Flightseeing and Salmon Bake for the 1:00pm departure.....needing to be at Wings Airways at 12:30pm to check in. This is a 3 hour excursion so will be back in port at 4:00 pm. We're hoping to squeeze in the Mt. Roberts tram (visibility permitting) before checking in for Taku trip. Unfortunately, we won't have time to do a whale excursion because I haven't found any companies that go that late after 4:00 pm. If somebody knows of one that can get us back to ship about 8:00 please let me know! We're thinking then of taking the Blue Bus or just booking a taxi back and forth. If we do this, will there be enough time to walk down to Nugget Falls and roam around the visitors center? I'm guessing we would get there about 5:00 and would want to be picked up at 7:30.

My next quandary.....we will already be flying over glaciers and be very close to the Taku Glacier while at Taku Lodge. Would this be redundant to then go to Mendenhall? I understand it's a highlight for a Juneau stop and almost sacrilegious if we didn't go.....but are we passing up other things to see and do in town during that 3-4 hour window? We won't be wanting to eat again until we get back on ship so we aren't looking for suggestions on restaurants.

What recommendations or suggestions does everyone have....things that they have done or will be doing. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm a planner and like to have all my ducks in a row and itinerary ready. Hard to believe only 4 months to go.....we started this adventure by booking the cruise February 2016! Getting pretty excited!

Are you interested in seeing Mendenhall? Doesn't sound like it - with your "sacrilegious" comment??? I never recommend trying to squeeze something in because it's popular? If seeing the glaciers with Taku Lodge is enough for you. Then choose something else.

Sure you have plenty of time for Mt Robert's tram, it's only a 6 minute ride, and it's an all day pass.

You may want to just look at a booking agent and see if any evening whale watch tours are running. They do operate depending on port schedules and demand. You don't have the luxury of being picky on the vendor so, first see if any later tours come up.

Are you interested in seeing Mendenhall? Doesn't sound like it - with your "sacrilegious" comment??? I never recommend trying to squeeze something in because it's popular?

Budget Queen, I meant no disrespect with that comment, it's just when I have talked to other people about our trip...folks who have been on cruises before, everyone says you have to see Mendenhall Glacier if you are in Juneau and you have to go whale watching. We decided we wanted to do something different and feel guilty for not doing those things recommended......that we're doing something wrong. Like it's unheard of if you don't do it! With the Taku Lodge time slot, it kind of breaks up the day and doesn't leave but 3-4 hours afterward to see/do something else. I would like to see Mendenhall...I would like to go whale watching......but there is only so much time in a day. I was just asking for other suggestions from people that saw and did other things.....

Just like we aren't going up to Denali Park after the cruise due to the drive time involved and then 8 hours on a bus touring the park.....my husband did not think that sounded appealing and didn't want to do it. I have read reviews where people have seen all kinds of wild life, and others that didn't seen anything. Yes, the scenery is incredible but there is a lot of beautiful scenery throughout the state. Again, people think we're crazy for not making the trek to the park. Instead, we thought we would stay in Hatchers Pass, trek Matanuska Glacier, go to Independence Mine, drive up to Talkeetna, go horseback riding at Knik River....then head down to Seward and do the Kenai Fjord Tour and Exit Glacier, raft trip down the Kenai River before making our way back for our midnight flight with stops at Alyeska Resort, Girdwood and Alaska Conservation Center. Yes that also involves a lot of driving, but we are getting to experience and see so much more.

I am not "squeezing in the Mt. Roberts tram"....it was just a place for the 1 1/2 hours prior to checking in for the Taku trip that we had time to do something and thought that would be a good time slot. We're not doing it because "it's popular" .....we were doing it for the view.

Just like we aren't going up to Denali Park after the cruise due to the drive time involved and then 8 hours on a bus touring the park.....my husband did not think that sounded appealing and didn't want to do it. I have read reviews where people have seen all kinds of wild life, and others that didn't seen anything. Yes, the scenery is incredible but there is a lot of beautiful scenery throughout the state. Again, people think we're crazy for not making the trek to the park. Instead, we thought we would stay in Hatchers Pass, trek Matanuska Glacier, go to Independence Mine, drive up to Talkeetna, go horseback riding at Knik River....then head down to Seward and do the Kenai Fjord Tour and Exit Glacier, raft trip down the Kenai River before making our way back for our midnight flight with stops at Alyeska Resort, Girdwood and Alaska Conservation Center. Yes that also involves a lot of driving, but we are getting to experience and see so much more.

Too many make Denali a must see and have no idea of distances and drive time. They go and leave all you’ve mentioned behind for one venue, a good one but you need time and leave some good stuff behind.

Allen Marine has an evening whale watch trip although it too may depart too early. You could check with them. It may be the same one that is listed on your excursion list as they contract with the cruise lines.

Another option that is excellent is the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop. If you have time take a look at it. The train departs from the Portage Station that is about 10 minutes from Girdwood/Alyeska.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/destinations/spencer-glacier-whistle-stop

Paddle around the icebergs.

http://alaskanrafting.com/product/spencer-iceberg-placer-river-float/

Mendenhall is popular because it is inexpensive and often (or used to be) combined with whale watching. They changed some regulations which makes it difficult for private whale watching to drop people off. They are both on the same side of town. I personally don't think it is popular because it is the best excursion out there. I have been there many times as I would combine whale watching with it.

If I had to choose between Taku Lodge, whale watching or Mendenhall glacier. Taku Lodge and whale watching would take priority.

Budget Queen, I meant no disrespect with that comment, it's just when I have talked to other people about our trip...folks who have been on cruises before, everyone says you have to see Mendenhall Glacier if you are in Juneau and you have to go whale watching. We decided we wanted to do something different and feel guilty for not doing those things recommended......that we're doing something wrong. Like it's unheard of if you don't do it! With the Taku Lodge time slot, it kind of breaks up the day and doesn't leave but 3-4 hours afterward to see/do something else. I would like to see Mendenhall...I would like to go whale watching......but there is only so much time in a day. I was just asking for other suggestions from people that saw and did other things.....

I am not "squeezing in the Mt. Roberts tram"....it was just a place for the 1 1/2 hours prior to checking in for the Taku trip that we had time to do something and thought that would be a good time slot. We're not doing it because "it's popular" .....we were doing it for the view.

My point. Is l caution about the must do thinking. What I sometimes find is enthusiastic infrequent visitors who certainly greatly enjoyed their touring. Then move this to the must do and best category. Problem is Alaska has multiple tours that fit into this thinking. Instead I suggest a hard look at what you want out of your trip.