Buzzed by a fighter jet!

Whistlespitter

We are two weeks back from a Western Caribbean 6 day in the CB. On the last day I was sitting on our port side towards the aft balcony somewhere between Cuba and Florida and there was a loud, crackling noise. I saw a fighter jet (ours, I guess) shoot right by the bow of the ship and soar past us. It looked to be just off the water. Anybody have a similar experience? My first thought was that I hoped it was one of ours! I didn't see the markings.

I've experienced it a couple of times while cruising down (or back) from Mexico. It generally happens off shore of the Naval base near San Diego. Sometimes there has been a pair and they come in quite low overhead. Yes, it can be a bit startling with their sudden noise. Not sure if they are just showing off or if simply, by coincidence, our ship was in line of their charted course.

In the middle of Falklands Channel on the Amsterdam in '04 headed to Antarctica, a Royal Marines Harrier came alongside about 100 ft. off the bridge and 'paced' the ship at 12 knots for a couple of minutes. Then he 'took off' - flew almost straight up several thousand feet, came back and blew by us at about 500 mph. It was very impressive.

Three years ago, we were on California Getaway, and during the noon announcement, the Captain noted that the USS Reagan was off the port bow and conducting flight operations. Here's a couple photos...

10733933053_6082be67d0_b.jpgGolden Princess - Coastals - 2013 079 by Richard, on Flickr

10733724946_3a3fa16543_b.jpgGolden Princess - Coastals - 2013 081 by Richard, on Flickr

We are two weeks back from a Western Caribbean 6 day in the CB. On the last day I was sitting on our port side towards the aft balcony somewhere between Cuba and Florida and there was a loud, crackling noise. I saw a fighter jet (ours, I guess) shoot right by the bow of the ship and soar past us.

NAS key west has a sworn duty to protect sloppy joe's.

I've been told that pilots like to set up practice "attacks" on ships, although they usually don't get too close so as not to scare the passengers. I've only seen one of them, however, as we crossed the Gulf of Mexico.

I used to backpack through the UK, and it was common to see RAF and NATO jets. They would drop down to 100 ft off the deck and scream down the length of Loch Ness. They also used to do practice runs on trains that were running through the Highlands. I happened to see one of them lining up for a run on us and was later told it was very common.

We are two weeks back from a Western Caribbean 6 day in the CB. On the last day I was sitting on our port side towards the aft balcony somewhere between Cuba and Florida and there was a loud, crackling noise. I saw a fighter jet (ours, I guess) shoot right by the bow of the ship and soar past us. It looked to be just off the water. Anybody have a similar experience? My first thought was that I hoped it was one of ours! I didn't see the markings.

I bet it scared the heck out of you.

I've been told that pilots like to set up practice "attacks" on ships, although they usually don't get too close so as not to scare the passengers. I've only seen one of them, however, as we crossed the Gulf of Mexico.

I used to backpack through the UK, and it was common to see RAF and NATO jets. They would drop down to 100 ft off the deck and scream down the length of Loch Ness. They also used to do practice runs on trains that were running through the Highlands. I happened to see one of them lining up for a run on us and was later told it was very common.

There is a YouTube video showing American and British jets going thru a pass in Scotland at near the speed of sound and 100 ft or less above the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So Picture this.

I am sitting on Deck 7 watching the ocean for whales and submarines and I hear a Jet coming.

At that time my Camera is sitting in my lap and I am holding my kindle in my left hand and a DOD in my right hand.

Me getting rid of the kindle and DOD, picking up the camera, turning it on, and then attempting to locate the jet while extending the zoom lens should be a show right up there with a Monkey Painting a House. :D

Bbob