Dawn 1/29/17 Missed Harvest Caye :(

home-mom

Just back from the 1/29/17 Dawn. Was a great cruise except that we didn't go to Harvest Caye. Beyond disappointed about that. I know the rules and they don't have to take us anywhere etc., but it's still depressing. We booked this cruise specifically to go there. We booked it last year, but when it wasn't going to be ready we cancelled and picked a different cruise. One it turns out that had a medical emergency causing us to miss a port and have it substituted for a different one. We received a letter in our room the afternoon before saying it was to be cancelled due to a possible obstruction in the channel and need to be inspected and we would go to Belize City instead. I wish we could've been told sooner. We would've planned to go to a beach in another port. We chose not to because we had planned to rent a villa on Harvest Caye and be pampered for the day :)

I felt sorry for the concierge. He said he had been blasted with angry calls all day. He said some of the senior officers and himself had asked for more information from the captain to relay to the guests and they were met with a very rude "They don't need to know anything, tell them there is an obstruction and we're not going." He did make an announcement later repeating the letter and adding that he did not want anyone to go to or call guest services about it.

We knew there was nothing we could do and we didn't want it to spoil the rest of our cruise, but we did have to ask about our villa rental, we booked and prepaid for it a month before boarding. They said they would put it back on our credit card, then they said they talked to shore side and it would be put on as onboard credit. We didn't spend it all as I had prepaid our gratuities, so in the end we had a huge credit and we were told a check would be mailed to us. We'll see.

Sorry for the long post, we were upset for sure, but made the best of it.

Yeah, I was taken back by his statement as well. We said we noticed some changes since O'Sheehan left and he actually said it has been worse for the staff since then as well. That is what prompted him to tell us about the statement from the captain. He also said they used to be able to do things for themselves. Now if a guest asks for something such as a credit, etc. instead of deciding what to do himself he has to ask the Hotel Director who then has to contact shore side and it's a big process now to get even the smallest things remedied.

Now I'm super mad, just read this article online asking why we skipped, saying there was no obstruction.

https://www.breakingbelizenews.com/2017/02/03/ncl-ship-divert-harvest-caye/

ohho - 1 ship mechanical problem...if Dawn was told "obstruction" means Gateway got issues? oh my.. I dont want to be on ship with "mechanical problems"..not at all..:eek:

I went to Harvest Caye in December and I have to say, it is much better than Belize City!! So sorry y'all missed it! I am leaving on the Dawn Sunday, so I hope we get to go back to Havvest Caye! :o I am hoping it isn't this ship with the mechanical problems!!! :o

Who was the captain and who was the conceige if you don't mind me asking?

Not a big fan of Belize City, but you didn't miss much on Harvest Caye. Dirty beach, no snorkel worthy waters, high prices for everything, empty bird cages. The pool is okay, but nothing worth spending a day. There were Toucans which were cool to see. But the island is a trap. And not even a Belizean trap, totally a Norwegian trap. I would have preferred staying on the ship!! Seriously, $8 beers and $15 burgers? And we tried to walk the island to explore but a lot was off limits, you can't even access the far beach that is visible from the ship.

I'm really not that picky, I just was not impressed and did not enjoy.

Good luck!

Not a big fan of Belize City, but you didn't miss much on Harvest Caye. Dirty beach, no snorkel worthy waters, high prices for everything, empty bird cages. The pool is okay, but nothing worth spending a day. There were Toucans which were cool to see. But the island is a trap. And not even a Belizean trap, totally a Norwegian trap. I would have preferred staying on the ship!! Seriously, $8 beers and $15 burgers? And we tried to walk the island to explore but a lot was off limits, you can't even access the far beach that is visible from the ship.

I'm really not that picky, I just was not impressed and did not enjoy.

Good luck!

I agree; just not that impressed. It was okay if all you want to do is lay in a lounge chair--doing anything else, including food, was expensive. The beach wasn't great, I tried snorkeling in two different areas--got stung by a jellyfish but saw almost no fish.

It is pretty and brand new; the pool looked great, if crowded. I guess just not what we were looking for in Belize.

I'd much rather go to the mainland for other activities.

I agree; just not that impressed. It was okay if all you want to do is lay in a lounge chair--doing anything else, including food, was expensive. The beach wasn't great, I tried snorkeling in two different areas--got stung by a jellyfish but saw almost no fish.

It is pretty and brand new; the pool looked great, if crowded. I guess just not what we were looking for in Belize.

I'd much rather go to the mainland for other activities.

Is there any sort of reef to snorkel or is it just open water?

Looks to be a reef, if you want to swim half mile or so off the beach. I didn't think that safe, for me anyhow. There were a couple swimmers out that way, I presume they made it back alive!

Water along the beach is no fun. You can snorkel, just not much to see. More like TX beaches, less like Caribbean beaches.

They have excursions, probably the best way to snorkel or dive here.

Looks to be a reef, if you want to swim half mile or so off the beach. I didn't think that safe, for me anyhow. There were a couple swimmers out that way, I presume they made it back alive!

Water along the beach is no fun. You can snorkel, just not much to see. More like TX beaches, less like Caribbean beaches.

They have excursions, probably the best way to snorkel or dive here.

Unfortunately, none of the current Harvest Caye excursions include snorkeling or diving.

Curtw,

When we went (twice) to NCL's island in the Bahamas, the food was free, under an open pavilion. (Drinks were an extra expense, I believe). Not that way on Harvest Caye? That is going to be an extremely expensive day for me and my 24 other family members when we go in April if we have to pay for food as well. I have already rented a pavilion; I may have to reconsider. That's an awful lot of money to spend and then have to buy food and drink extra on top of that cost. And that's not even doing anything but laying around in the sun.

There might be a reef way out; didn't go that far. I tried just past the deep water along the beach and also along the rocks near the dock. Almost no fish, coral or anything--except, obviously, jellyfish, since I got stung!

There might be a reef way out; didn't go that far. I tried just past the deep water along the beach and also along the rocks near the dock. Almost no fish, coral or anything--except, obviously, jellyfish, since I got stung!

Yah. Another fellow said maybe a half mile swim to a reef.

That ain't happenin'.

It's looking more and more like a day to sit on the ship and use the drink package.

I'm jealous! At least you got to get off ship at another port. I was on the Getaway and we got stuck with another sea day. We were also told obstruction in the channel. All cabins got a fifty dollar onboard credit and the port charges refunded.

I'm jealous! At least you got to get off ship at another port. I was on the Getaway and we got stuck with another sea day. We were also told obstruction in the channel. All cabins got a fifty dollar onboard credit and the port charges refunded.

I've gotta say that I have always enjoyed visiting Belize at Belize City.

Locals are wonderful, ruins tours were terrific. went tubing and we also deplete the supply of Belikin. Went snook fishing there as well.

Getting stuck on the Getaway would've been a bothersome day.