Dawn 1/29/17 Missed Harvest Caye :(

home-mom

Curtw,

When we went (twice) to NCL's island in the Bahamas, the food was free, under an open pavilion. (Drinks were an extra expense, I believe). Not that way on Harvest Caye? That is going to be an extremely expensive day for me and my 24 other family members when we go in April if we have to pay for food as well. I have already rented a pavilion; I may have to reconsider. That's an awful lot of money to spend and then have to buy food and drink extra on top of that cost. And that's not even doing anything but laying around in the sun.

Hi Betty,

Food and drink was definitely not included for anything we did at Harvest Caye. We returned to the ship to dine, and it's a long enough walk, wouldn't likely leave the ship a second time to return to the key. I hope you have a great time, the pavilions looked really nice.

We were on the Getaway that missed Harvest Caye too. We were told there was an obstruction in the channel. We were refunded the $24. per person port fees, plus $50. per cabin OBC. We were really looking forward to it, I had booked one of the beach cabanas back in Sept. I am not going to second guess the Captain, we'll go again next year and hope we get to stop then. There are a lot worse things than having to stay on a ship for that day, I just had to keep telling myself not to be a hypocrite (I REALLY wanted to be on that island!)

We are on the Dawn as we speak. Just about pulling into Honduras now. I will post a much more extensive review when we get back, but for now all I will say is the cruise has been fine so far, a few mechanical glitches ( elevators not working correctly, toilets not flushing, room keys all stopped working)

I will post tomorrow if we actually go to harvest Caye. For all of you who can't wait. LOL

One other thing, Internet speed is slower than molasses.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my opinion, you didn't miss much. dh and I were on the 1/22 cruise. Harvest Caye is little more than a tourist trap. While the pool is nice, the beach was a bit dirty and the sand was rough. Even if you wanted to pay a small fortune for drinks at the swim-up bar, it was always crowded and I couldn't get anywhere near it. Not a lot of shade on the beach. By noon a lot of us were navigating back to the ship to get our paid-for food and drinks and didn't go back.

There was some shopping; not much. Everything seems to be centered around the pool and the beach.

Just my opinion, you didn't miss much. dh and I were on the 1/22 cruise. Harvest Caye is little more than a tourist trap. While the pool is nice, the beach was a bit dirty and the sand was rough. Even if you wanted to pay a small fortune for drinks at the swim-up bar, it was always crowded and I couldn't get anywhere near it. Not a lot of shade on the beach. By noon a lot of us were navigating back to the ship to get our paid-for food and drinks and didn't go back.

There was some shopping; not much. Everything seems to be centered around the pool and the beach.

Since Harvest Cay, like Great Stirrup Cay, are suppose to be private islands for beach days, it is good that everything centers around the pool and beach.