Suggestion for Trip Cancellation Insurance for Canadians

docsdrillers

In the past I've used Travelex insurance but today I just found out that their new policies are for US residents only.

I'm only looking for trip cancellation insurance as several of my Credit cards already have the full Medical coverage.

I spoke to Allianz Canada and found out how expensive it is to buy a one trip Cancellation insurance policy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Amit

Here's what i've learned so far.

Travelguard doesn't allow topping up of current insurance that i have on my credit cards which made them the second most expensive option.

Secondly,CAA was by far the most expensive quote.

The cheapest quote was with Costco Travel..

thanks,

Amit

We have a BMO MasterCard that has a BMO MasterCard Total Travel and Medical insurance as an extra option. As long as we charge a portion of our trip we are covered for Total Travel (includes trip cancellation and interruption )and Medical. Cost is $129 a year and renews every year automatically so we are always covered. We have actually used the emergency medical a few times and have never had any issues .

I just booked our cruise with cruise web and they have that travelex protection and I noticed it in the info and I asked the advisor specifically if it covers us Canadians and she told me that they do. And she gave me quote of $300 pp for our cruise. So they will cover Canadain residents at least with the company I booked it thru.

Edited by saturn08

We have BMO travel insurance on our charge card and recently had to cancel a cruise for health reasons and it worked out very good. We did not lose any money at all. We cancelled before the final Hal payment, so that may have helped too.

Did you do it online or by phone..I called in and was told they no longer cover Canadians..I'd double check by making a call.

It seems other insurance companies give out different info depending on who you talk to.i called Travelgard and was told I couldn't top up my insurance that I have on my credit cards..I got cut off and called right back and the next agent said of course you can..kind of hard to trust companies to pay on claims if the info changes from agent to agent.

I just booked our cruise with cruise web and they have that travelex protection and I noticed it in the info and I asked the advisor specifically if it covers us Canadians and she told me that they do. And she gave me quote of $300 pp for our cruise. So they will cover Canadain residents at least with the company I booked it thru.

I tried applying for a quote online and it came up ineligible...reason stated "resident of Ontario".

I did however find cheaper insurance via Costco Canada which is underwritten by Manulife.It was between 40-60.00 cheaper than other quotes I had.

Amit

Did you do it online or by phone..I called in and was told they no longer cover Canadians..I'd double check by making a call.

It seems other insurance companies give out different info depending on who you talk to.i called Travelgard and was told I couldn't top up my insurance that I have on my credit cards..I got cut off and called right back and the next agent said of course you can..kind of hard to trust companies to pay on claims if the info changes from agent to agent.

When you say extra option do you mean you need to pay for this insurance above the 150.00 annual fee for the card?

We have a BMO MasterCard that has a BMO MasterCard Total Travel and Medical insurance as an extra option. As long as we charge a portion of our trip we are covered for Total Travel (includes trip cancellation and interruption )and Medical. Cost is $129 a year and renews every year automatically so we are always covered. We have actually used the emergency medical a few times and have never had any issues .

Maybe for Costco.com but I used Costco.ca and when I got my confirmation it said underwritten by Manulife.

On another note regarding Tavelex and Canadians I mentioned that someone was able to get insurance for Canadians and she said in case of a claim you would be refunded your premiums...how mighty nice of them...you travelled under the assumption you were covered,didn't get alternative insurance and your claim gets denied but you get premiums back...another company worth trusting(sarcasm)...

Doesn't Costco use Travelex as their insurer?